Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W203 squealing/whistling noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 Kompressor 1.8L
W203 squealing/whistling noise

Hi everyone,

Great forum which has been a great help with other issues I've had previously. Thought I'd take the plunge and get involved with a new problem I have which is locating where a squealing noise is coming from on my 2004 C180 1.8L Kompressor, M271 engine. I've added 3 videos to show my problem:

1st whilst idling without squeal

2nd with squeal when accelerator applied

3rd condition of pulleys

The squeal isn't there at startup and only starts when I accelerate or even go over a speed hump. It seems worse when it gets warm and driving around town (at low speeds). Although when cruising on motorways/ dual carriageways at 50mph or more it disappears. I've replaced the idler pulley and belt with no success.

I have been told that it may be an exhaust issue and to check I should take the wideband silencer & serpentine belt off and test the car as in video 2. But to not run for longer than 1 minute. If the squeal still exists then it isn't any of the pulleys..

I really wanted to see if I could get any ideas from here before I take it into a garage. And any recommendations for indy's local to Birmingham, England would be appreciated.

Many Thanks