Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Wheel Alignment

Old 11-21-2001, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
4 Wheel Alignment

MBtech, we all know our factory warranty covers alignment and tire rotation during the first 12 months/12,000 miles. I also have been told that most if not all Mercedes Classes are shipped from the factory without alignment bolts installed. Would it be wise to have a 4-wheel alignment done during this "warranty" period, not only to facilitate an alignment, however also to get the bolts installed ? Any alignment after this factory warranty period would necessitate at least some shop hours for the alignment bolt install....

Any thoughts ?
Old 11-23-2001, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Tire rotations are included with your B-service, depending on need, for 4 years/50K miles. If it needs it, we'll do it, no extra charge. As far as the alignments go, I'm not sure if stand-alone alignments are warrantable for 4/50, BUT I know if we do a repair that facilitates the NEED for an alignment, such as balljoints, control arm bushings, tie rod ends, etc.. the alignment is covered under warranty as well as the alignment bolts.
Old 11-23-2001, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I still cant phatom why MB doesn't just put the alignment bolts in at the factory.

On a different note, the special electronic level measuring tool that is used on the CL-Class 215 model is pretty trick.
Old 11-23-2001, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
You'll have to ask those crazy Germans why they don't put eccentric bolts in at the factory. And yeah, I like the leveling device too. It comes in handy when servicing the Distronic cruise control. Does your CL have Distronic? If not, have you ever driven a car with Distronic? Talk about an amazing feature.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
No... The only option I got was Parktronic. Distronic was almost impossbile to find when I got my car. I have never seen a vehicle with distronic yet. I don't use cruise control hardly at all (Maybe less than 2% over the vehicles life), so I really wouldn't need it anyhow. Distronic was a expensive option as well. I would of rather had the electronic trunk closer..

Distronic does however look like a very neat feature.

I would like to see a rail gun option that would run off of distronics ECU. That way I could get to work and home faster.
Old 11-24-2001, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
ok, not sure what alignment bolts are, but i've noticed that my car tends to veer much more than our other car (usually to the right). not sure if its just following the road curvature or if it is truly out of whack. when i goto the 10k service, should i ask for the bolts to be installed? i have a c-coupe 230k w/ the c7 package. thanks for the info.
Old 11-25-2001, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
It's probably normal, some cars tend to follow the road crown more than others. If you really think it's an issue, you can have them look at the alignment when you bring it in for an A-service. Don't just ask for the alignment bolts out of the blue, or you will be charged for them. The bolts may be needed later on, but it's not something you need right away. It's something like getting braces for your kid as soon as they start to develop teeth. Unless the alignment is truly out of whack, then the bolts are free. It's a little tough to explain, but it's like this: if the alignment is okay, and you ask for the bolts to be installed, this will result in you definitely needing an alignment. Since the car was fine when it came in for service, and something you request will put the car out of specs, you will be charged to correct it. If the car really IS out of alignment, then it's Mercedes' fault and the alignment and bolts will be covered under warranty. The reason they aren't put in at the factory is this: the cars are designed and engineered to go straight, and they are built at the factory with correct alignment specs. When something like suspension wear, parts replacement, or road hazards put the suspension out of alignment, THEN the bolts are needed to correct it. This is the same reason new cars don't come with starter shims, brake pad shims, etc. They were designed to be right the first time, and if something happens down the road, then you might need extra shims.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:19 PM

99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
mbtech208

mtech208...so far, all mercedes complained are pulling to the right and not to the left. My Slk and Clk are also pull to the right and not left.
And one last Q's!!! Do you know how much degree of negative camber can the alignment "screw" correct the negative camber? Thank you...