Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this 1998 Mercedes ML320?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Dodge Charger
Should I buy this 1998 Mercedes ML320?

Hello

I've never owned a Mercedes and admittedly never really considered it. I joined this forum just to ask this question and I hope I found the correct forum, if this is not the correct place I really do apologize as a visitor! I did look around for similar questions but mine is rather specific and reddit was useless.

Long and short of the story is two weeks ago a women plowed into the back of my 2011 kia forte, it is now completely totaled. The cars lien will be paid off by insurance but that leaves me at zero. I have 5 grand I can play with a little to get into a new vehicle.. I've shopped around.. looked at some kia's and mazdas. Then someone said I should look on craigslist and buy a car outright with no monthly payment since this is the third car this year someone has smashed into (welcome to florida, everyone who has hit my car has been over 87 yrs old) and totaled. It is starting to become a sick joke.

Thanks for reading the back story! Now on to the real question. On Craigslist a 1998 Mercedes ML320 with 180,000 miles and some AMG's (like grill and projector beams) was posted for 3,495 dollars. It has no visual sign on wear and interior looks brand new.

I've never purchased such a high milage vehicle and I've never owned a Mercedes .. but it looks so well maintained. I'm interested but clueless on what is expected of a ML320.

What are some good questions I should ask the owner?
What kind of problems does the ML320 run into at that milage?
What types of repairs should have already been made to it?

The milage was mostly done highway, which I know is important to know.

I'm going to see the vehicle tomorrow and I'd like to be prepared. I'm going to have the car inspected before purchase but I'd like to be armed with some knowledge as well. I don't have the extra finances to be sinking into a car and I need something reliable for my six year old and myself.

Suggestions and help, please!!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:26 PM

C220
I not familiar with the issues of the ML. This is a 16 year old car and you must be aware that you will face the same issues with any car this old plus the added bonus of higher priced parts.

So unless you dont have a problem with investing more in this car
I would have to advice you against it. There is no such thing as a cheap Mercedes
Old 10-11-2014, 09:31 AM

None as of yet
How are you? i just purchased a 1999 W210 4matic. I live in brooklyn but i purchased the car in Long island. Before I left LI I filled up with $60 worth of premium gas. By the time i got to brooklyn it was less than half a tank. I checked for the code and got a PO700. Can anyone tell me why the car is burning sooo much gas in such a short time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.