Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problem W203

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220
Question Starting problem W203

Hi
I have a problem with a W203 C220 cdi year 2001

When the key is inserted into ignition everything starts normal. When the key is turned on and the car starts, the starter spins around longer than necessary of itself.
When the vehicle is running several things does not work.
Fuel gauge is not working.
RPM does not work .
The radio turns off.
Electrical windows is not working.
The air conditioning does not work.

When you just turn the ignition (before starting engine) everything above works perfect.

If you charge the battery to about 13.5 volts , everything works when you start engine.
However, to start the vehicle with only 12.5 volts on the battery, the problem occurs.

I have replaced ignition lock and sam module without any luck .
I also have checked all batteri connections.
The car charges battery perfect.

I believe I have tried almost everything, also having it to Mercedes own carshop, I work as a mechanic, but have never seen anything like this before.

Does anyone have an idea for what the problem might be ?
Old 05-05-2015, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Best guess based on the info you've given is that the front SAM (fuse box) is shutting down due to low voltage. Check the battery voltage when the engine is running, If it's below 12.4v then some control units will start to shut down which may seem like a series of weird and odd faults.

If the charge rate is ok then I would clear all the fault code from all systems, restart the car, wait till it faults again and then recheck for fault codes and/or which control units cant be communicated with and post the results on here.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220
Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
Best guess based on the info you've given is that the front SAM (fuse box) is shutting down due to low voltage. Check the battery voltage when the engine is running, If it's below 12.4v then some control units will start to shut down which may seem like a series of weird and odd faults.

If the charge rate is ok then I would clear all the fault code from all systems, restart the car, wait till it faults again and then recheck for fault codes and/or which control units cant be communicated with and post the results on here.
Voltage is fine.

Fault codes is:
B1003
B1032
B1025