Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

StarDiag C4 SDconnect - First experiences.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL203 C220 CDI coupe & W114 203.6, W221 S500 4Matic
StarDiag C4 SDconnect - First experiences.

Hello All,

I recently bought a C4 Bundle with Dell D630 laptop hdd.
My cars 2005 W203 coupe - 2010 W221 S500

I thought I would share my first experiences.

Arrived through a seller on Aliexpress - So far the support and the shipping has been very prompt - The function of the MUX (The C4) or the software however seems to be a little flaky - I'll explain later.

First thing - Get your Dell 630 ready before the package from China arrives I was waiting a week for my D630 via ebay - Then I had to wait another week for a power supply for it (missed that in the d630 item desc)- All eating into the buyer protection time.

Coming from a IT electrical engineering background first thing I do on arrival is take it apart - Looks fairly well made. No obvious defects -

On to the function - I plugged it into the OBD2 - Boots software start wifi etc. looks good. The units from China all seem to have no batteries However the battery holder is present within the unit (6 x AA)
Checking with the seller from China I'm told DO NOT use batteries it will damage the MUX - So on use I get a insert battery message after some minutes does not seem to be an issue.

The MUX and software on the Dell D630 uses a cat 5 cable out of the box - No attempts to use the built in wifi yet.

The supplied HD has DAS with developer keys all setup - Also Xentry however the Xentry login complains about a missing key - Chinese seller is going to resolve I'm told shortly. Both my cars are DAS anyway so I'm not so concerned. Vedimo and Xentry can wait till my W222 upgrade

The W221 on DAS plugin and quick test is very interesting *lots* of systems on a fully loaded w221. All past faults list. When the car was a couple of weeks old it had a rear accident the right rear light warnings are still in the system.

Now the problem!

When I go into a system to clear a fault or even just to navigate deep down into a system - The DAS software crashes - It freezes. Task Manager terminate then restart. On restart it can't communicate with the car. So I reset the MUX - Same problem now. I reboot the computer.

My D630 is good I've run extended tests - The XP build from China seems to be stable. Looks like a DAS or MUX issue.

My ideal configuration would be a VMware image on my MacBook running DAS/Xentry a wifi connection to the MUX.
Now I have the MUX has easy it to have my own DAS Xentry install from scratch?

I just hope my C4 MUX is stable and a good one, before investing anymore time on it.

I've not had a chance to use it - I'm waiting to
Make the developer mods on my W203.
The W221 just needs it's stupid 250km speed limiter removed.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK 250 2012, C200 2012
that's a pity. you've got a bad SDS