Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questionable dealer ethics-1208 code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350 wagon 2006
questionable dealer ethics-1208 code

I'm in need of some tech advice as I am really over a barrel with my 06 e350wagon, 6 cyl, non-4matic.

April 2014- Code 1208 (camshaft adjustment). A known problem for MB. After negotiating with MB corporate we struck a deal where they paid some labor and parts. STill the repair cost me $3100. MB of Fremont Ca did the work. They have a 12 mo. warranty on service.

May 2015- (11 months later) Same code (1208) as determined by my local mechanic. So I took it back to MB Fremont. They keep it several days and then give it back n/c saying it needs a timing chain for about $2600 and that this need is unrelated to the 1208 fix 11 months earlier. They refused to give me any paperwork from this visit. To justify this they said since they didn't do any work on the car that none was generated. I suspect the code 1208 came up again and giving me the paperwork would prove that.

Now I have a car I cannot sell or trade in. I have requested the paperwork from MB Fremont but they have not responded.

Better Business Bureau? A lawyer? How can I resolve this so that I can sell the car?
Old 06-30-2015, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
I agree they probably generated some sort of report, but it's unclear to me how not having the paperwork keeps you from selling it. I can see that you might want to resolve the actual issue if it is the same issue as 11 months ago so that you don't pay twice and the car is worth more to sell, but the paperwok itself simply identifes that you have car with a problem, which you already know and would presumably identify for a buyer. Even if the same code came up, the real question is whether that code can also be triggered by the need for a timing chain since that also implicates the cam. If it were me, I'd go elsewhere ( to an MB indy mechanic) just to get your codes read by somebody who can read MB codes. If they give you a report that it's 1208, then who cares if the MB delaer tells you or not. Then ask the indy who knows MBs for a second opinion on the chain, vs. some other cause of that code. Depending on what he says, then you may have ammo to go back to MB. That's money way better spent than on a lawyer (e.g., me).
Old 06-30-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350 wagon 2006
Thanks Yidney

Thanks Yidney. The paperwork would identify the same code 11 months into a 12 month warranty and imply that the dealer should fix the problem on their nickel. Selling it with an engine light on will make it worth way less. I'd rather have them fix it again under their warranty then I can sell a fixed car.

Tom