Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with w208 trunk failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK 55 AMG.......... 2001 Corvette Z06.........
need help with w208 trunk failure

I have done some preliminary reading but need a little bit more info or at least some clarifications on the conclusions I have drawn.

1. luckily the rear seats are unlocked.

2. luckily the trunk carpet was removed for cleaning.

3. checked all fuses and all are good.

4. with a bit of wiggling and oil based lubricant the manual key works. I tried giving it a 1/4 turn and pushing it but no luck.

5. neither the console switch nor the remote fob work either.

6. need some clarification here. it appears the that the 3-wire connector is for the trunk release switch(console switch)....it contains a grn, a grn/white and a brown wire. ...from what little info I can find it seems the trunk release is operated by some sort of logic controller so the lack of a 12v signal is expected....is this correct? also what type of signal am i looking for and on which wire? or if it does operate off of a 12v signal it is not present and if so which wire would I apply 12v to bypass the switch? although i doubt it will be that easy. also this will determine if the actuator is good and isolate to controller or not.

7. My analysis determines that the problem is either electrical or mechanical so that brings me some questions.

7a. At some point a 12v signal is needed to be either verified or applied.....where exactly do I need to apply it? I am almost certain it is not anywhere easily accessible nor at the switch based on what little documentation I have uncovered.

7b. what connections need to be jumped to bypass the console switch?

7c. on the mechanical side. the car in question is a 2001 clk 55 amg. I have read that the meat and potatoes of the trunk release is on the inside of the deck lid right above the latch and all I need to do is remove the liner one way or another and access a cable to manually actuate the trunk release.....I am guessing that the cable itself is shielded and to access it i will need to damage something to get to it? if not cut it entirely to slide off the shield to pull the cable?

7d. I have also read something about popping the license plant holder off to access the trunk release cable too. is this true or is this a w209 trick? which method is safer mechanically?

thx in advance and if you need any additional info pls ask.

edit: the battery is good and I have not lost power recently.