Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder pics, expert advice needed, is this kaput??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:23 PM

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
merdeces s320
Cylinder pics, expert advice needed, is this kaput??

I have just bought a previously flood damaged Mercedes CLA

most ECU function fine. Checking the engine with borescope and one cylinder looks in a state. I have attached pictures, can anyone who has seen plenty of these pics give me their medical opinion if this is superficial or if the walls are likely pitted (in which case the engine is no good of course)

I know it was not salt flood so am hoping its just surface damage. Really need some other opinions before I get into it.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Cylinder pics, expert advice needed, is this kaput??-snap_001.jpg   Cylinder pics, expert advice needed, is this kaput??-snap_002.jpg   Cylinder pics, expert advice needed, is this kaput??-snap_003.jpg   Cylinder pics, expert advice needed, is this kaput??-snap_004.jpg   Cylinder pics, expert advice needed, is this kaput??-snap_005.jpg  

Old 10-10-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
If I was really into buying the car, I wouldn't let these pics stop me.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
My first answer has bothered me.

The rust in the combustion chamber may not prove costly if you really wanted to have the car. My second thoughts are created by the possibility of further rust in more important ares such as rod and crank bearings. It would seem like this car has been idle for a long period of time. If you're totally stuck on buying a flood car there should be a ton available on the east coast after the monster rains they've had in the last 2 weeks.

Personally I wouldn't buy a flood vehicle bec ause of the other problem possible electrically or electronically.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:08 AM

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
merdeces s320
This is my 8th flooded Mercedes to date

previous ones were 2009 R350, 2008 E500, 2008 CLS550, 2011 E350 Cabrio, 2011 S550, 2014 ML350

All of the others serve/d me well and were relatively easy fixes apart from the S550, which was salt flood, had rust in cylinders and needed just about everything replaced including the engine.

The jury is still out on the ML350, that had broken conrod, I am in process of replacing that and the piston, then will see if it cures it.

My personal experience in general is that (non salt) flood cars are OK if they are completely stripped down and every electrical connection checked and cleaned and any corroded connections replaced. Those that just clean the seats and carpets are of course opening themselves up to a potential world of pain down the line as gremlins start to creep in.

already have the car now so will clean up the cylinders, install new SAM and see if she starts, will posts results later.