Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Pads CLK63 Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brake Pads CLK63 Question

NOTE: Additional posting, also in AMG model 209 section

Can someone please "school me" on what is going on with the OEM brake pads for a year 2007 CLK63 Cabrio.

A) First it appears the OEM part number of # 004 420 49 20 has been superseded to # 005 420 41 20.
(It also seems these updated pads also fit a year 2007 SLK)

The superseded pads have large bronze colored winglets riveted at the upper corners of each pad.

The superseded pads are the same shape except for a raised section at each upper corner to attached and do fit the rear AMG calipers.

Included in this shape is the same size and outline for the brake pad wear sensor

The winglets are riveted on and could be drilled off, leaving a raised section and hole in pad packing plate.

1) I do not understand the winglet purpose?
2) Should the winglets be drilled off?

B) Second is the wear sensor.

The rear sensor OEM installed is part # 211 540 17 17

However the superseded pads do not have a drilled hole in the pad material to fit this sensor.

I am being told that these superseded pads require a different type of pad wear sensor. Plus the cost of this sensor is $80.00 (not $8.00 like before), WTF?

1) What is the special sensor?
2) It is still just 3 inches long and does it still just clip into the pad and plug into the wiring harness?
3) Could, and is it advisable, the pad material be drilled to accept an OEM sensor or could the front pad the sensor (wiring comes straight up as opposed to the rear which is 90 degrees) which does not require a hole?

C) What are the Merc Benz service techs doing with these rear pad issues?

FWIW I am not very good at posting internet pictures, hence my written words.

Thank you.