Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Problems - E550 (5.5l)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E500 AMG
Starting Problems - E550 (5.5l)

E500 5.5 litre V8 Sport Auto Edition UK 08 plate - Starting Problems I have an intermittent starting problem. The car is happy to do a cold start but after driving and leaving for an hour or so it won't start. It does turn over and cranks. I have tried the spare key, I have changed the CPS twice! Full service new plugs and filters.

I seem to be running out of options!!

Original Star diagnostics is not finding any faults.

Please can someone offer any advice or ideas of what to try next. It's cost me a fortune getting this far and I'm back to square one!!

Old 11-29-2015, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 718 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
If a W211 it could be the fuel filter/pumps/relay. Several W211 E55 owners have posted (including me) about this problem. Filter clogs, pumps overcurrent, pump relay overheats and shuts off intermittently and only when hot. No trouble codes.

You have to check the fuel pressure on the rail immediately after shutoff; mine would restart after 5 to 10 minutes. Fasten a pressure gauge to the fuel rail and the next time the problem occurs, check to see if you have fuel pressure.

Fuel pump relays are cheap, maybe $3 US. Doesn't hurt to change it and it's easy on a non-AMG model.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:27 PM

Mercedes E500 AMG
Thanks

That's great advice and the second person to recommend this so will change it tomorrow. Once again thanks! QUOTE=bbirdwell;6629065]If a W211 it could be the fuel filter/pumps/relay. Several W211 E55 owners have posted (including me) about this problem. Filter clogs, pumps overcurrent, pump relay overheats and shuts off intermittently and only when hot. No trouble codes.

You have to check the fuel pressure on the rail immediately after shutoff; mine would restart after 5 to 10 minutes. Fasten a pressure gauge to the fuel rail and the next time the problem occurs, check to see if you have fuel pressure.

Fuel pump relays are cheap, maybe $3 US. Doesn't hurt to change it and it's easy on a non-AMG model.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-01-2015, 05:38 PM

Mercedes E500 AMG
No luck yet

Hi So the relays changed same problem and when hot the fuel pressure drops. Garage says it has to go to the dealer to look at the ECU...major headache!

Do you know if the ECU can be repaired as replacing it wih a new one will be expensive? !!

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
If a W211 it could be the fuel filter/pumps/relay. Several W211 E55 owners have posted (including me) about this problem. Filter clogs, pumps overcurrent, pump relay overheats and shuts off intermittently and only when hot. No trouble codes.

Fuel pump relays are cheap, maybe $3 US. Doesn't hurt to change it and it's easy on a non-AMG model.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 W211 E500
Any update? Mine has the exact same problem. Thanks