Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP !! CANBUS HELL !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204
HELP !! CANBUS HELL !!!

Hello Fellow Forum members

appologies for my first post being a "problem" but I intend on continuing to contribute after spending some time on the sidelines just reading the forum...

Anyway,

My MAJOR problem.
2007 Mercedes W204 C220 Cdi. (UK Car, located in Manchester)

Problem,
No Rear Indicators, but fronts and mirrors working.
No Rear Hazards (same thing, fronts flash, rears dont)
No Rear Sidelights (Although are lit up, as daytime running lights wont go out, Nearside somewhat dimmer than offside)
Daytime Running lights wont switch off.
Fuel Gauge Inop.
Rear De-mister Inop.
Both Brake lights WORK.

Steps taken so far.
Swapped my vehicles Rear Sam Unit (Complete) into another 2007 C200 Cdi, and it worked the rear lights in that vehicle fine and indicators and etc...

Swapped Donor cars Sam unit into the C220, and No Change,
Swapped complete light clusters for known good ones. No Change.
Swapped front sam unit for known good one. No Change.
Checked ALL the fuses, front and rear... all good.
Checked all the earths, and all seem to have good continuity.

Diagnostics State :-
U014287 :- Communication with the rear signal acqusition and actuation module has a malfunction. The Message is missing.
and
U014787 :- Communication with control unit Audio or Command has a malfunction. The Message is missing.

I've had it also to a Star machine, and they said it's a problem with the "gateway" But to be honest I think they were just waffling me as they also got no futher than ourselves.

Anyone got any ideas before we start pulling all the interior out of it to start checking wires/Connections.
Please remember, BOTH sam units front and rear when swapped with another car, worked in the other car fine. so you would assume both are "ok"

I do have a Star Printout if anyone thinks they can help.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
mb, saab, acura, dodge
I think the SAM units have to be programmed to a particular car.
The following users liked this post:
DT at China (05-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2016, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
The CANBUS functions even if one of the two wires is shorted to ground or broken. So...the symptoms point to both wires broken or the connector is pulled loose or corroded. Any water infiltration into your car on the left side?

Brainstorming here... so bear with me. Can you identify and disconnect the two wires leading to the rear SAM module? Then splice (maybe not the appropriate word) two temporary wires from the front connector located under the door sill next to the left-side seat to the rear SAM?

Lack of message indicates broken wires or bad connection. Possibly the connector pulled out or is corroded? If so, you would not even have to splice in a temporary connector. Just clean and re-seat the connector.

Please note the info is for a W211 so it may not be accurate for you W204 but it should point you in the right direction.

Best of luck and please post the solution when you find it.
Attached Thumbnails HELP !! CANBUS HELL !!!-canbus-1.jpg   HELP !! CANBUS HELL !!!-canbus-2.jpg   HELP !! CANBUS HELL !!!-canbus-3.jpg   HELP !! CANBUS HELL !!!-canbus-4.jpg  
Old 04-21-2016, 06:53 AM

mb, saab, acura, dodge
^^^^^^^^^ great idea! Lincoln had a similar issue with a trunk leak.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:10 AM

W204
Thanks BBirdwell, will have a delve into it this weekend/week and report back with findings.

With regards the SAM needing programming to each car, Why did this SAM work in the other car then (plug and play, worked) ?

Am I right in thinking CAN wires are generally "Twisted" as they arent normal wire, they are Fibre ?

Will do some investigation and report back.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:07 AM

mb, saab, acura, dodge
Dealer told me about programming, don't know for sure. I believe the canbus lines are normal wiring. I haven't noticed any twisted wires in any other cars either. Please report back, any info learned is A++++ . These newer cars can drive anyone crazy. It's a far cry from a switch turning on a bulb!
Old 04-22-2016, 07:36 AM

W204
Originally Posted by GLENN S.
Dealer told me about programming, don't know for sure. I believe the canbus lines are normal wiring. I haven't noticed any twisted wires in any other cars either. Please report back, any info learned is A++++ . These newer cars can drive anyone crazy. It's a far cry from a switch turning on a bulb!

Indeed your correct Glenn, enough to drive a man to drink

we had a problem last week with an X-Type Jag, and the CAN BUS wires were twisted, in pairs.. apprently to prevent interference.... maybe mercs are different.

Anyone have a wiring Diagram for a W204. ?
Old 05-01-2016, 04:12 AM

W204
Ok guys, some progress... I think

Lifted the drivers foot carpet, to find a brown/red and brown wire unpluged (Who by, I dont know, as this fault has been on the car since the car came from the where we purchased it)

which i believe is the CAN link to the rear SAM. Checked it for continuity, and sure it isnt broken and it does go ALL the way to the rear Sam. Plugged it in, and sure enough, all symptoms seemed fine, indicator flashed (properly) daytime lights extinguished, BUT, this lasted a few seconds before hearing a "tick" (like a relay noise) very loud under the bonnet, and then it knocked indicators off completly. If I unplug the wire, it reverts to rear lights not flashing, and front flashing fast (on instrument panel) but actual indicator on the front light is flashing normal speeed. (but i have no rear indicators, trunk light, sidelights etc... back to original problem)

So,
Plugged it in with our Diagnostic, and it's showing as the Interior CAN is "off" or, Interior Can Unstable. (got both messages)

I'm thinking either fault with rear sam tripping something, or is it the battery control module I can hear the very loud click from. It's also flashing the main beam light on the instrument panel, even with the car switched off.

Clicks are coming from this bugger :-

Some of the messages on the Diag :-

Help.... its starting to do our heads in
Old 05-02-2016, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
PM me your email address so I can send you some large files that may (or may not) assist you in narrowing down the problem.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:51 AM

W204
Thank you BBirdwell. Sent
The following users liked this post:
myworld (07-15-2019)
Old 05-22-2016, 04:41 AM

W204
Right,

Update... Sorry it's taken so long.

Realised that when we were testing the "donor" sam unit, it wasnt actually connected to the car, due to the wire being unplugged. (which obviously I didnt know as we didnt have carpet etc up at that point)

Anyway, cut a long story short, have got another Sam, and another Front Fuse/Power Module, and will be attempting a fix today.

WHY another Sam I hear you ask.... When the brown + red wire was plugged in the rear sam is then connected, and the CAN bus went "unstable".... unplug it and it instantly became Stable, therefore thinking SAM unit.

Fingers crossed, will report back later.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:39 AM

mb, saab, acura, dodge
Good luck, sometimes you try so many things, you get lost in it!
Old 05-22-2016, 03:52 PM

W204
SUCCESS !!!

AT LAST !!!! Second Hand SAM, plugged in, and wolla !! fixed

one happy customer !! test driven home tonight, and all faults gone.

Thanks for your input guys.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:52 PM

mb, saab, acura, dodge
Congrats!
Old 07-07-2016, 03:28 AM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
And more details of the fix would be nice. And what was the reader or scan tool you used and where to get it? And wow gotta love the color coding, all the same pretty much, whats up with that?
Old 07-09-2016, 10:10 AM

W204
Originally Posted by exhaustgases
And more details of the fix would be nice. And what was the reader or scan tool you used and where to get it? And wow gotta love the color coding, all the same pretty much, whats up with that?
Hi Exhaustgases,

The fix was a second hand rear SAM unit, as posted two posts above !!

The colour coding is MB, nothing to do with me !! but can be a nightmare trying to find a fault

My Scan tool is an Autel Maxidas DS708 Pro
Old 07-09-2016, 03:31 PM

mb, saab, acura, dodge
All the same color reminds me of an old international
Old 07-12-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Alfa 159
......you want to try it when you are colour blind and reds browns and greens all look the same anyway.....let alone when they actually are the same colour!
Old 07-12-2016, 06:12 PM

mb, saab, acura, dodge
No thanks ��
Old 07-16-2016, 06:05 AM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
Originally Posted by ALEX307D
Hi Exhaustgases,

The fix was a second hand rear SAM unit, as posted two posts above !!

The colour coding is MB, nothing to do with me !! but can be a nightmare trying to find a fault

My Scan tool is an Autel Maxidas DS708 Pro
Okay so it was all just plug and play, no extra programming or nothin right?
I wasn't blaming the wire colors on you, I just don't understand Mercedes a supposed top quality car doing that sort of thing. They must have some real good identifier tags on them then.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211
Unhappy w211

Hi I have a Mercedes-Benz E200 with engine type w211 2008 model and I got some problems. First of all it start my parktronik piping in the middle of driving with no any other car or something else so close to me , the other think that I got is that the odometer didn’t work correctly when I put the key in the car I can see it working perfectly but when I start the car then coming up dashes until I switch off the engine and take the key out, and I got also problems with windows sometimes did not open and close automatically when just press or pull the button, the same happens also with my mirrors did not close or open automatically when lock or unlock the car this happens sometimes too even when I go in and look the cars installation it is programmed to do so every time. I have check batteries I change them both I checked all my fuses working and correctly. Did anybody knows what problem can be this ? Kind regards
Old 05-18-2018, 07:14 AM

w211
Hi I have a Mercedes-Benz E200 with engine type w211 2008 model and I got some problems. First of all it start my parktronik piping in the middle of driving with no any other car or something else so close to me , the other think that I got is that the odometer didn’t work correctly when I put the key in the car I can see it working perfectly but when I start the car then coming up dashes until I switch off the engine and take the key out, and I got also problems with windows sometimes did not open and close automatically when just press or pull the button, the same happens also with my mirrors did not close or open automatically when lock or unlock the car this happens sometimes too even when I go in and look the cars installation it is programmed to do so every time. I have check batteries I change them both I checked all my fuses working and correctly. Did anybody knows what problem can be this ? Kind regards
Old 11-09-2020, 07:28 AM

05 e320 CDI 05 golf TDI 05 cummins
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
PM me your email address so I can send you some large files that may (or may not) assist you in narrowing down the problem.
is there any way you could send me the same files if I pm you my email address?? Thanks in advance
Old 03-15-2023, 01:06 PM

Mercedes c class
Mercedes indicator fuel gauge and heated seats not working

Hello Fellow Forum members

appologies for my first post being a "problem" but I intend on continuing to contribute after spending some time on the sidelines just reading the forum...

Anyway,

My MAJOR problem.
2007 Mercedes W204 C220 Cdi. (UK Car, located in Manchester)

Problem,
No Rear Indicators, but fronts and mirrors working.
No Rear Hazards (same thing, fronts flash, rears dont)
No Rear Sidelights (Although are lit up, as daytime running lights wont go out, Nearside somewhat dimmer than offside)
Daytime Running lights wont switch off.
Fuel Gauge Inop.
Rear De-mister Inop.
Both Brake lights WORK.

Steps taken so far.
Swapped my vehicles Rear Sam Unit (Complete) into another 2007 C200 Cdi, and it worked the rear lights in that vehicle fine and indicators and etc...

Swapped Donor cars Sam unit into the C220, and No Change,
Swapped complete light clusters for known good ones. No Change.
Swapped front sam unit for known good one. No Change.
Checked ALL the fuses, front and rear... all good.
Checked all the earths, and all seem to have good continuity.

Diagnostics State :-
U014287 :- Communication with the rear signal acqusition and actuation module has a malfunction. The Message is missing.
and
U014787 :- Communication with control unit Audio or Command has a malfunction. The Message is missing.

I've had it also to a Star machine, and they said it's a problem with the "gateway" But to be honest I think they were just waffling me as they also got no futher than ourselves.

Anyone got any ideas before we start pulling all the interior out of it to start checking wires/Connections.
Please remember, BOTH sam units front and rear when swapped with another car, worked in the other car fine. so you would assume both are "ok"

I do have a Star Printout if anyone thinks they can help.

hello did you manage to rectify the problem
Old 03-18-2023, 04:49 PM

Mercedes c class
Help i have the same problem with my car its a 2007 mercedes c220 cdi

Right,

Update... Sorry it's taken so long.

Realised that when we were testing the "donor" sam unit, it wasnt actually connected to the car, due to the wire being unplugged. (which obviously I didnt know as we didnt have carpet etc up at that point)

Anyway, cut a long story short, have got another Sam, and another Front Fuse/Power Module, and will be attempting a fix today.

WHY another Sam I hear you ask.... When the brown + red wire was plugged in the rear sam is then connected, and the CAN bus went "unstable".... unplug it and it instantly became Stable, therefore thinking SAM unit.

Fingers crossed, will report back later.
hello i have the same problem with my mercedes c220 cdi 2007