Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

safe jump start idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W203 220CDI station 2003 / W203 270CDI station 2001
Question safe jump start idea

Hello everybody, I'm new here, I've looked for information and discussion on an idea I have and cannot find it on this forum (or anywhere).

Say you have a dead battery, or very low one, and wish to jump start your vehicle.

Problem: the computers do not take kindly to the electric spikes.

Since you only need the jump start for the starter motor, you could disconnect the computer from the circuit, jump start the engine, and then re-connect it.

There must be a way to disconnect the computers, sparing them

Just an idea. Any technicians that would know this is a bad idea?

Disconnecting the computers from the starter engine would be a question of pulling a few fuses. I'm unsure in how far a non-working computer would keep the car from starting up, but you could provide an alternative temporary power source to the computer by using a 9V battery between the hot side of the corresponding fuse and a ground point.

I've been stuck in snow on a mountain with my young daughter, at which point you gladly accept a jump start, regardless of the dire consequences for the car's computers...

This might be a way to get going again AND still have working computers...

My question to the techs: is this just a theoretical idea, or can it actually be done?

Thanks

Last edited by elteye; 04-30-2016 at 07:35 PM. Reason: forgot a detail
Old 05-01-2016, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Not a good idea. How do you expect the car to start when the ecu is disconnected? Secondly there can be up 20 ecus in the vehicle. Everything is interconnected. If you that worried and stuck in snow. Then disconnect your negative pole at the chassis connect your jumpers then reconnect the negative back to chassis.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 719 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Here is one possibility:
http://www.goodallmfg.com/product/antizap/
Old 05-03-2016, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Haha. Who would use that and weld on a vehicle? Anyone who wants to Watch there airbags and pretensioners trigger..just leave then srs plugged in and start up the mig welder.