Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield with IR refractor film

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 R500 5.5 l
Windshield with IR refractor film

Hi, my R550 got its windshield replaced recently following a small break due to a stone. FYI, my insurance covered it and paid the equivalent of around 1500 US$ to the garage here in Switzerland(!)

The windshield has this IR refractor' film that protects against heat when the car is exposed to the sun, which is nice. It is also slightly tainted in blue, just like the two front windows (driver + front passenger). But, the new windshield looks more greenish, and I'm not so happy with it. Moreover, it has an optical default in the lower part, where a band of a few inches is distorted. I plan to have it changed under warranty, as this is quite disturbing, and want to take the opportunity to make sure I'll get a proper one that has this blueish effect.

Anyone knows what are the differences we find in the marketplace and how to make sure to get the proper model that will offer quality, safety and pleasure to the eyes?