Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLK350 Replacement Transmission - Is it worth Repairing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk350
CLK350 Replacement Transmission - Is it worth Repairing

Need help with my 2006 CLK350. The car body and interior are in very good condition and NADA shows a retail value of $7200. I am trying to determine if it can be repaired at a reasonable cost.

The transmission developed a slip requiring me to let off the gas so it would shift from first to second gear. It also hesitated going into reverse and required moving the stick shift from park to reverse several times. At that point the car sat up unused for 9 months.

After searching the forum I was pretty sure I had a bad radiator and glycol\water in the transmission. I drained some of the fluid and tested it with Acustrip Coolant Strips and it looks like the Glycol contamination is above 6 percent.

Given the test strip result and fluid color, I suspect it will require the transmission to be replaced.

I am considering buying a used transmission, possible rebuild, radiator replacement and flush. I have not removed the transmission, but believe it is a 722906 00 400915 7g.

VIN: WDBTJ56H56F182917
Mileage: 140,000

How do I confirm if a replacement transmission\torque converter will fit? Does the replacement transmission have to be the exact same part number or just the first six digits 722906?

Attached are pictures of the transmission fluid and test strip results.

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails CLK350 Replacement Transmission - Is it worth Repairing-mtranfluid.jpg   CLK350 Replacement Transmission - Is it worth Repairing-fluidacustrip.jpg  

Last edited by blkeydtxn; 02-20-2017 at 05:50 PM.