Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap Info Needed Clk320/c43 V8

Old 09-25-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 CLK320
Engine Swap Info Needed Clk320/c43 V8

HELP ! I need to know if the stock transmission in my 02 CLK320 will work with a 99 C43 AMG V8 or how to modify it to work with this engine, I also need ANY swap info necessary to make this work. My V6 was dead on purchase and I found this 4.3 V8 very reasonable with ALL the goodies including computer. Will this engine even bolt up to the trans I have ? Benz and Hollanders say I have a 722618 ? or a type 607 , the 430 cars run a different transmission but I am not sure if it is an internal/electronic difference or a PHYSICAL difference. ANY ? ALL help , advice , info, links ,etc welcome, and I need info QUICK !!! Also concerned with radiotor size and catalytic converters being possibly different.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
This swap is a LOT more complicated than it looks. Just about anything off a CLK 55 AMG could be used to accomplish it, but given the expense you would be better off just buying a new car.
Your transmission will grenade in short order behind that motor, if you ever even get it running. You will need the EIS and ME control units, keys, and probably a lot more out of the C43. Again, you would be better served by a donor CLK55. The two cars are quite similar, but the details get expensive quickly when dealing with these things. Then there is the braking and safety issues. Anytime you start adding power, you need to upgrade the braking and suspension to deal with that extra power. There are too many differences between the cars to list, and probably more than I can think of. The rear axle is even different, so if you got an engine transmission swap accomplished, you would have to deal with an axle, possibly subframe too. The fuel pump is likely to be a higher output model on the AMG car also.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:01 PM

02 CLK320
Oh boy......

Thank you for the info ! Check out Ebay auction # 7922564401 , thats where I was getting my motor if I do get it, I had plans to upgrade the brakes if this swap is accomplished, it came with all the electronics, its just the transmission thats in question. I had looked into the different gear ratio issue and "supposedly" that can be worked around because the 320 actually has a lower ratio [ 3:07? ]. My local Benz dealer "said" they could reprogram the car to work with that engine and its computer but tis the transmission nobody is really sure of. I think if I could get it installed I could keep it in tact by not driving like an animal. If I could FIND a place to buy a crankshaft, connecting rods and pistons reasonable I would rebuild my V6 myself and reinstall, however mine sucked up water due to some dummy running it into a flood somewhere and hydro locked at what appears to have been wide open throttle. I have yet to find a used V6 reasonably priced, seems the minute you say Mercedes salvage folks have visions of owners with deep pockets, which I am certainly not, I just have good taste and a low budget. For what I will have to spend to replace the V6 I think I can spend the same or LESS to go with the V8, even though it will be agrivating, but I can do all my own work [short of the reprogramming...Benz said they could make the keys work too, not sure if thats true or not, do you know ?].
You are right and it does sound complicated, but my CLK is a very exspensive 17k org mile lawn ornament right now....I guess I am not afraid of a challenge so long as it is not an impossibility.
If you think of more PLEASE tell me...carguy455@yahoo.com
Thanks again
Gary
Old 12-03-2004, 12:28 AM
Almost a Member!

AMG C43,99M3,400hp Eagle Talon,94BMW 332i
How about supercharging or turbocharging your 320 motor? That may be possibly a cheaper and better option possibly! www.mosselmanturbo.com
Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 AM

2003 CLK 55 AMG
Im in need of some of the same questions answered call me 3605516326
Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by onebadclk55amg
Im in need of some of the same questions answered call me 3605516326
You just responded to a 5 year old thread.