Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Tips on selling a car here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Tips on selling a car here

There is enough evidence on this forum lately to indicate a few pointers are in order.

If you really do want a successful transaction, here are a few guidelines that may help you out:

1) Pictures - No serious buyer will make an offer without pictures, especially if the distance is too great for a personal inspection. The first question you will receive in your thread will be for pictures. Why waste time? Beg, borrow, or steal a decent camera and post them. It's free. You do not need to post 30 shots of the car, just enough to show the front, back, sides, and interior. If a long-distance buyer needs to see those 30 shots, they can ask offline.

2) Prices - It is unfortunate for the seller in these times, but the fact is that used car values are depreciating like never before. The average buyer on this forum probably watches auction values very closely, so asking what you think it is worth without checking actual sales figures is a waste of everyone's time.

But my car is a single owner and I have all of the service records
- A valid point and may be worth a slight premium. Your mileage may vary.

But I have expensive mods
- Sorry, that may be worth some premium, but most buyers don't care (or don't even consider that a bonus). Performance mods may recapture some value (but never all of it). Cosmetic mods may be positive or negative (those sick black rims may be great for you, and horribly ugly for the next guy)

No asking price, but looking for offers - The worst way to sell a car. You will only attract what you feel are lowballs. You are fishing for a misinformed buyer, and you will not find many of those here. You will only attract ridicule and silence.

3) Carfax - Buy one and offer it. Although Carfaxes are not the be all to end all, most buyers will want to see it. Why not make it easier?

These are very basic points, but there are too many ads that fail to meet basic standards.

Good luck with the sale.
The following 2 users liked this post by Air Marshall Eldritch:
Hiloc (03-09-2017), ZANE55 (09-23-2017)
Old 02-11-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
I've only been here a few months but this is long overdue! Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yo Momma
very well said, thank you.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
.............I think some sellers specifically advbertise on this forum because they are of the mistaken belief that Mercedes owners are stupid with a lot of money and no sense. How else can you explain a C43 owner asking for $15K? or a CLK55 owner asking for $25K.

...........Further with the current credit crunch, the seller needs to make the car attractive to the cash buyer by asking for a price that a cash buyer could potentially go for. Otherwise keep your car and enjoy it. No need wasting your time. No, you will not get a higher selling price because this is a Mercedes forum.

Ted
Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive a 2013 ML350
Thanks, great to the point message.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
Auction prices are only good to look at...These cars are not mint and usually needs to be reconditioned as well...By the time one pays the dealer ( guy getting the car ),the auction fees,the transportation and other tid bits like tires,brakes etc etc,the price has already gone up by atleast $3000 to $4000 To top it off i would rather see and drive the car first before paying any money out...
The comment about Mercedes owners having too much money and are stupid is not true..When i purchased my E55 few weeks ago,i made sure the car was one owner,didn't come from the snow belt and had been well taken care of.The auction prices that enthusiasts see here are usually leased and below average condition cars.The above average cars even at auction go for higher prices...
Not all members here have credit issues...When time comes for me to sell the car,i don't think it would matter to me,if it's a cash buyer or not..if you can afford the car then buy it or else have some one pick you up a car from auction sight and condition unseen...Just remember,you criteria of mint condition might be different then the guy buying the car at auction for you..
Anyways here are some pointers on selling the car...
1)-Owners..The more the less attractive the car
2)-Miles....The less the more attractive the car
3)-Condition...Any accidents/blemishes
4)-Service records...
5)-Picts
6)-Carfax report
7)-The car forums are the worst places of all to sell the car...For a serious sellers,autotrader and cars.com is the place to advertise...
Hope this helps..
Old 02-12-2009, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
AGREED.

I for one am tired of people referencing what they can get at an auction. Youre comparing a 1 owner, all svc records documented, mint condition GEM with a line item from a report. No idea the condition, no idea the options sometimes, no idea of the car. Nevermind not everyone can get cars at auction.

Sick of someone posting up a mint beauty and having everyone criticize them because they can get it at auction for $10k less. Then go and get your dinged up banged up airbag-less wheel-wobbler oil-dripping red hot deal at an auction and leave everyone else alone. Not saying every auction car is a dud, but as a general rule an auction car does not = your avg enthusiasts condition car.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RBrenton
There is enough evidence on this forum lately to indicate a few pointers are in order.

If you really do want a successful transaction, here are a few guidelines that may help you out:

1) Pictures - No serious buyer will make an offer without pictures, especially if the distance is too great for a personal inspection. The first question you will receive in your thread will be for pictures. Why waste time? Beg, borrow, or steal a decent camera and post them. It's free. You do not need to post 30 shots of the car, just enough to show the front, back, sides, and interior. If a long-distance buyer needs to see those 30 shots, they can ask offline.

2) Prices - It is unfortunate for the seller in these times, but the fact is that used car values are depreciating like never before. The average buyer on this forum probably watches auction values very closely, so asking what you think it is worth without checking actual sales figures is a waste of everyone's time.

But my car is a single owner and I have all of the service records
- A valid point and may be worth a slight premium. Your mileage may vary.

But I have expensive mods
- Sorry, that may be worth some premium, but most buyers don't care (or don't even consider that a bonus). Performance mods may recapture some value (but never all of it). Cosmetic mods may be positive or negative (those sick black rims may be great for you, and horribly ugly for the next guy)

No asking price, but looking for offers - The worst way to sell a car. You will only attract what you feel are lowballs. You are fishing for a misinformed buyer, and you will not find many of those here. You will only attract ridicule and silence.

3) Carfax - Buy one and offer it. Although Carfaxes are not the be all to end all, most buyers will want to see it. Why not make it easier?

These are very basic points, but there are too many ads that fail to meet basic standards.

Good luck with the sale.
One more, very important: Do not say your car is "Loaded" unless it actually has EVERY available option. Otherwise, it is not, you will be called out.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by rory breaker
AGREED.

I for one am tired of people referencing what they can get at an auction. Youre comparing a 1 owner, all svc records documented, mint condition GEM with a line item from a report. No idea the condition, no idea the options sometimes, no idea of the car. Nevermind not everyone can get cars at auction.

Sick of someone posting up a mint beauty and having everyone criticize them because they can get it at auction for $10k less. Then go and get your dinged up banged up airbag-less wheel-wobbler oil-dripping red hot deal at an auction and leave everyone else alone. Not saying every auction car is a dud, but as a general rule an auction car does not = your avg enthusiasts condition car.
actually when talking highline auction cars generally their quality is far better than the "normal" cars. many reasons- not all of them politically correct so i will not go in there. just take it from me. it does not take much to label a car "below" on auctions- trust me. the good cars are "average" and the pristine ones (like you cant distinguish from new-pristine) are the "above". very very few cars fall in the "above" category. people like me size up cars in 15-30 seconds so we are not easily tricked. if at all. it takes me 10 secs to tell you if any of the body panels have been painted. we do not tolerate inaccurate ratings, so auction ratings are... very accurate to serve people like me.

what i am trying to say is that most of the time it is safe to assume that auction price of "average" car + auction fees + $500-1000 is a good starting point for what the dealer paid for a good loaded car (most highlines are loaded by default- see below on options).... unless you are talking brand dealer at which point they actually paid far less because they did not get the car from an auction, but most likely from a trade-in and they paid less than wholesale for it.

on options- loaded vs. not-so-loaded. the only option that currently makes a slight difference in pricing is nav and sports package (where applicable) - and they dont skew the price much.... and everything else is pretty much ignored during wholesale pricing- including designo unless really rare. hell- come to think- int/ext color adds/subtracts more to the price.

regarding "enthusiast"-quality cars- in reality they actually are dinged in price as there is the perception that the car is driven well.... enthusiastically.

oh, and very few care about service records, one/two/three owners unless in quick succession... as long as the car is under warranty. usa is not europe where service history is important (think germany though, italians for example dont care much as generally they are a well.. rough crowd when it comes to maintenance :P ).

but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder so...

however, to contribute something to the thread-

if you are going to sell your car - there is only one rule that i think is important - set your expectations correctly and price your car right. time is money. literally.

if your car is worth 50k and you price at 65k nobody will buy it. you will endure many offers that you will consider "lowballs" and you will go through a lot of anxiety all the while the price of your car will be dropping every week/month.

it is far more "profitable" to price it right and sell it quickly than price it unrealistically and not sell it for a prolonged period of time. yes- i am factoring depreciation and mental health as most folks that want to sell dont have time working on their side- thus eventually you are cornered and you really get lowballed... so.. dont even get in that predicament.

regarding pricing - if you dont know what your car is worth, go to your local brand dealer and ask for a trade in- then add 10-12% on the "lowball" offer you think you got and you have your target selling price. put your car on cars.com and autotrader.com for 1-2% more for "battle ground" fluff and cross your fingers.

my 2 cents on the retail subject

alex
few cars

Last edited by alx; 02-13-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
i love the "come take a look for yourself" ads that don't say where the car/buyer is located.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alx

on options- loaded vs. not-so-loaded. the only option that currently makes a slight difference in pricing is nav and sports package (where applicable) - and they dont skew the price much.... and everything else is pretty much ignored during wholesale pricing- including designo unless really rare. hell- come to think- int/ext color adds/subtracts more to the price.

oh, and very few care about service records, one/two/three owners unless in quick succession... as long as the car is under warranty. usa is not europe where service history is important (think germany though, italians for example dont care much as generally they are a well.. rough crowd when it comes to maintenance :P ).

\
These two points are probably the most significant differences between the uninformed masses and enthusiasts.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Originally Posted by alx
actually when talking highline auction cars generally their quality is far better than the "normal" cars. many reasons- not all of them politically correct so i will not go in there. just take it from me. it does not take much to label a car "below" on auctions- trust me. the good cars are "average" and the pristine ones (like you cant distinguish from new-pristine) are the "above". very very few cars fall in the "above" category. people like me size up cars in 15-30 seconds so we are not easily tricked. if at all. it takes me 10 secs to tell you if any of the body panels have been painted. we do not tolerate inaccurate ratings, so auction ratings are... very accurate to serve people like me.
Your quote in bold is all that matters. People like you. Not everyone can get in an auction. Not everyone wants a car thats been auctioned. Not everyone wants a car they where they cant touch, feel, and know the original owner.

My point is, everyone talks about "I can get it at an auction for $10k less than your asking price" and its annoying. An auction car is NOT the same as a regular private party car for many reasons, but the MAIN reason being that not everyone has access to an auction to buy the car.

Its like someone coming on who's dad owns an MB dealer and talks about how they can get it for dealer price, so the person has to do better. Well the answer is go ahead and get it for dealer price and leave me alone. Just like the auction...go ahead and get it at auction then.

Some of the rest of your post I agree with and I dont, but hey as you say everyone is entitled.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:07 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your quote in bold is all that matters. People like you.
you missed my point. my point was that people like ME determine the wholesale price which in turn determines the retail price YOU are offered to pay

the reason why wrote what i wrote in the first place was that most of the highline auction cars are in "average" condition and that means they are in very good shape as we (the professionals) would not have it any other way since we rely on those ratings.

its ok. as you said - we are entitled to our opinions and preferences

alex
few cars
Old 02-13-2009, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Everyone reading this thread actually does have access to the auctions. You have Alex, you have me, you have Wendy, and who knows how many others. This forum is different than Gen Pop.
My auction contacts do know a cream puff when they see it, based on 30 years of experience. To say that the auction is the boneyard of the abused and semi-wrecks is not true. If you are going to expect that your loving care should command a $10k premium on a $25k car, you will simply be offended by the level of offers, and you'll be the seller six months from now bumping their thread with a price reduction, where the train has long ago left the station.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
who said anything about the auction ONLY containing abused cars?

furthermore who said anything about a $10k premium on a $25k car?

Youre wrong about this forum not being the general pop. You just named 4 people out of how many views? Do you really think EVERYONE has access to an auction? And AGAIN many people dont want an auction car to begin with, no matter what.

as for your point alx about the auction prices "determining" retail value I somewhat agree, however that does not justify what happens here when someone posts an 05 E55 for KBB private party and everyone chimes in about how they can get it for $15k at an auction....its ridiculous. That is the essence of my point and nothing else...that scenario I just described is point blank - ridiculous.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
who said anything about the auction ONLY containing abused cars?

furthermore who said anything about a $10k premium on a $25k car?

Youre wrong about this forum not being the general pop. You just named 4 people out of how many views? Do you really think EVERYONE has access to an auction? And AGAIN many people dont want an auction car to begin with, no matter what.

as for your point alx about the auction prices "determining" retail value I somewhat agree, however that does not justify what happens here when someone posts an 05 E55 for KBB private party and everyone chimes in about how they can get it for $15k at an auction....its ridiculous. That is the essence of my point and nothing else...that scenario I just described is point blank - ridiculous.
You did.

My point about auction access is that the few names i mentioned above are people that would be happy to score you a car on your behalf at the local auctions. Ipso facto, anyone reading this thread can PM someone like Alex to get a car they want. It may not happen immediately. But it will happen. (sorry Alex, I'm using you as an example).

KBB is out the window in these times.

The essense of your point is outdated. Many cherries are put through auction based on the desire of the owner (dealer who took a trade, etc) to get cash from an asset.

You can rail on about the intrinsic value-add of private sale, but it just ain't always true.

I have witnessed with own eyes what sort of nice and clean MB vehicles come through auction, time and again. if you want to buy something, I'll happily give you a contact number if guys like Alex aren't interested.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Originally Posted by Mister Brenton
You did.
Originally Posted by me
Not saying every auction car is a dud
Not trying to get into an argument with someone I dont know on the internet man, but my words are there, clear as day. I obviously think auction cars, as a general rule of thumb are not 1000% mint condition cherry gems. If you disagree thats fine, but I really think youre exxagerating if you say that nearly every car that rolls off a highline auction is a mint condition gem.

You can rail on about the intrinsic value-add of private sale, but it just ain't always true.

I have witnessed with own eyes what sort of nice and clean MB vehicles come through auction, time and again. if you want to buy something, I'll happily give you a contact number if guys like Alex aren't interested.
1) It isnt always true, youre right. But it isnt always NOT true either. And it isnt warranted for people to jump into other peoples threads bashing them because they can get it for $10k less at an auction. Its just irrelevant and unwarranted.

2) Thats nice to know the offer is on the table, and if Alex or someone is local to me, I for one would take them up on the offer to come and check out cars at an auction and see whats there. I used to follow Mannheim highline in PA through a buddy and saw a lot of junk, a ton of avg cars and very very few mint examples. Not worth my time to save a few bucks vs buying a 100% verifiable clean clear and perfect example from a fellow enthusiast.

Also for the record, I would be considered an "enthusiast". I enjoy reading about upgrades and various mods others are doing. My car is always perfectly clean, never is without at least one coat of fresh wax, and I drive it like a grandma. In fact my dealer the other day mentioned to me he could tell I baby my car, this car is meant to be driven, please drive it harder. No joke!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
So how much would a service like that cost,where a person with a dealers license,has an access to those auctions...

Last edited by C2 Turbo; 02-14-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:21 PM

E55, C32, ML320
I purchased a 2006 E55 at auction in December after another forum member referred me to a broker who deals with MBCC (Mercedes Benz Credit Corp). MBCC takes back cars coming in from lease (as well as repos I believe). The dealers have the option of taking these cars before they go to MBCC (and possibly on to Manheim). But my dealer is sending everything to MBCC given that the demand for used AMG's has dropped like a rock. So given the limited (and overpriced) selection at the dealers near me, I decided to go the auction route.

It was my first time going down this path, so I did my research, developed a maximum bid for the features, mileage and color I wanted. I factored in transport and warranty costs. The other forum member got a great deal for the same car at $32k with 39k miles. With service, tires, transport, etc., I believe he was $35k out the door. I was looking for mid-20k on miles and perfect condition so I was willing to pay around 5k more.

He found the car I wanted in Florida and sent me pictures and a report on it. It looked great so he put my bid in and I got it. Also, worth noting is that there were no auction fees for me. What I bid is what I paid. After the sale is completed, apparently he gets a flat fee from MBCC.

One thing neither of us noticed from the pictures was a scratch on the bottom of the rear rocker trim and a tear on the bottom/back of the front bumper. But MBCC took care of that right away. So while I agree that there is a fair amount of risk in the general aution marketplace, dealing with this person and MBCC worked out very well. The guys name is Dan Paul and his # is 614-203-5952.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Originally Posted by blando
One thing neither of us noticed from the pictures was a scratch on the bottom of the rear rocker trim and a tear on the bottom/back of the front bumper. But MBCC took care of that right away. So while I agree that there is a fair amount of risk in the general aution marketplace, dealing with this person and MBCC worked out very well. The guys name is Dan Paul and his # is 614-203-5952.
Thanks for the info. 1 - if you were able to, could you come down and see the car before you bought it? 2 - can you share details on how they took care of it? Did you go to a dealer to get it fixed and they footed the bill, or did they give you x amount, etc?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:34 PM

E55, C32, ML320
Thanks for the info. 1 - if you were able to, could you come down and see the car before you bought it? 2 - can you share details on how they took care of it? Did you go to a dealer to get it fixed and they footed the bill, or did they give you x amount, etc?
1 - I don't know the answer to that. The car was in FL and I am in NY so that wasn't an option for me. You may be able to call a local dealer and pay someone to go and inspect the car. It wasn't a problem for me because they said the car was in perfect condition. They corrected the two items I mentioned on their own to make sure it met the advertised condition.

2 - It was MBCC and the MB Dealer where the car was received. I didn't really deal with any of it.

Neil

Last edited by blando; 02-16-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-15-2009, 12:32 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

actually, i might be a bad example for an auction proxy as i do not deal with retail customers. it is generally not worth my time.

but yes, there are quite a few knowledgeable agents that would pick cars from auctions directly for retail customers for a small fee.

however, right now dealers are hurting and the ones that realize that they are seriously upside-down on their inventory are willing to let go of desirable cars at great discount... so you might not need an agent- just be willing to travel and haggle a bit.

otherwise i agree with "mister brenton"'s posts.

alex
few cars
Old 02-17-2009, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
More threads showing up with unrealistic/incomplete details. I think I'll stick this thread for now.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97 C28
Pictures with walk around explainations or possibly videos with you walking around the car explaining what everything is and does in real time...

exposure is key if you wana sell a car you need to get the word out post on every local classifieds and put a freakin sign in the window with a phone number and price...people will call u if there interested....
Old 10-28-2009, 09:28 PM

2006 ML500
I've noticed the need for more accurate postings, but I think there is also a need to address people that seem to troll multiple listings just to give the seller a hard time about the pics/info/price/auction/etc....
They could care less about buying the car, they just want to bust ***** rather than wishing someone good luck on a sale. If you're not interested, why not keep quiet and look at a different car? I probably wouldn't list a car on this site anymore personally because of the few people here that constantly do that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tips on selling a car here