Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Time to part with my 2007 S550 4Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Time to part with my 2007 S550 4Matic - $20,310

I've been putting this off for some months now as I still love the car and I thought about keeping it forever, but it really doesn't make sense for me to hold on to 2 expensive luxury sedans when I already have 2 other DDs.....hopefully it goes to one of you guys here! You understand and know these cars best and would likely take the best care of it....So now here it goes:

The ad is up at cars.com, here is the link: http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...21326/overview

To paraphrase that ad, my car's vin is WDDNG86X57A142987, mileage 114,372.....It has a build date of April 2007, and as W221 production began June 2005, it was one of the last 2007s made and has most or all of the earlier model 2007 kinks worked out as it's "almost" a 2008 (production started June 2007 so that's only 2 months later).

It had the balance shaft sprocket service performed, and the transmission was also replaced in May 2013 as it had both the valve body and transfer case issue, which was more commonly found on the C-class, but lucky me...at least that makes the transmission only 10,000 miles old and the latest revision 722.9. I've updated the headlamps to Osram 5500k XENARC (genuine from authorized Osram/Sylvania and Philips dealer), and LED license plate lights. I've done all service at EuroMotorCars Devon, one of the top Mercedes dealers (the 39,000 miles trans service was only $275!). I also replaced one of the airmatic shocks with an Arnott, warranty on that is good for another year.

Since the P3 options were in short supply that year, they were labeled for individual sale, but this car has them. It has Keyless-Go, Distronic Plus, airmatic, heated/cooled/massage active seats, Night vision, Panorama roof, rear sunshades, heated steering wheel, and backup camera. Front and rear brakes and rotors are brand new, tires were also replaced last year, at least 90% treadlife remaining.

I've really kept up with detailing both the interior and exterior and loved it, and the car is often mistaken for being a lot newer. It also has a clearbra on the front bumper, front of hood, and mirrors. I think personally this is the best time to buy as the W222 doesn't look significantly different, especially in profile, to the untrained eye (I've had some people ask me if this was the 2014!), and being such a leap over the W220, the W221 is a lot closer to the W222 than its own predecessor was to it. We won't be seeing a new bodystyle until 2020, so that's plenty of years of seeming "current". I did look into upgrading to 2010+ rear lights, but I preferred the look of the integrated body color strips actually. I also have some genuine AMG package parts that I never ended up putting on, they would need to be painted of course if you wanted them.

P3 options were unavailable for much of the time the S550 was first being produced, and so those + pano roof combo were delivered in less than 2% of MY2007 S550s....You'd be looking at $30,000+ for a 2008 this well-equipped, and possibly only a few months newer than this one. I think the only options this car *doesn't* have besides the sport package are alcantara, designo, and 4-place seating which were almost exclusive to the V12s. It also has the "phaser" for Bluetooth and iPod connector.

I'm located near King of Prussia, PA area. Price is $20,310 OBO.

Last edited by kalortpor; 09-24-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:06 AM

S550
Price decreased.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:20 PM

S550
Another price drop........
Old 09-23-2014, 09:44 PM

S550
Priced to sell.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
It would help the sale if instead of saying price reduction, you gave an actual number. Just a suggestion
Old 09-24-2014, 05:14 PM

S550
I hear you, I was changing the actual number within the ad itself though as I figured if somebody is interested in the car, it would be best if they read the full ad.

Price is $20,310.

As I am not typically accustomed to buying and selling cars since I usually just trade-in at the dealer (FWIW the car I bought earlier is a Tesla Model S....They don't do trade-ins, only through Autonation, and their offer was laughably bad even for 9 months ago. But I could have at least taken the sales tax deduction...I had originally wanted to keep both of them since I've loved Mercedes for many years, we're a family of Mercedes drivers, and while the Tesla is an awesome car in its own right, it doesn't have the creature comforts and luxury that I get while driving the S550), I have one question: Why is KBB private party for very good to excellent, which this car is, over $24,000 for this mileage? I understand it's only a starting point for negotiation, but this is ridiculous! I see cars with lower mileage going for much lower than that! I'm already below dealer trade-in value (and good luck finding a dealer that will give you close to that!) :/

Last edited by kalortpor; 09-24-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
JMTC -

I think people get scared of the mileage, and the age of the car with no warranty.

GLWS
Old 09-25-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
I hope you're going to say you're not interested but would you consider trade plus cash? The trade would be an'05 CLK 500 Cabriolet.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
16 GL550
kbb prices are quite a bit higher than real market most of the time, even for the trade in prices. there is a "black book" that dealers use for trade in and their prices are usually much lower. your price might be lower than what dealer retail is, but to some extend they provide more confidence (at least the perception).

do you have carmax in your area? maybe give that a try too
Old 09-25-2014, 08:41 PM

S550
SOLD to a car enthusiast (offsite)! I only ever used Leatherique for the interior, the car wouldn't recognize what a automatic car wash if it saw it (always 2 bucket method, grit guards, clean microfibers every time), and clearbra'd....He got a great deal on a car that still rode smooth as ever (my father's 06 W220, which has less miles and ABC, feels nice still but kinda worn as you drive it....a marked difference how it felt even 50,000 miles ago).

I had thought about Carmax, but the ebay auction ended at 17,200, the Autotrader "instant" trade-in offer was 17,200, and so in doing the math, I assumed what CarMax's response would be! That's the wholesale value at auction in Galves and things like it, and below what KBB would have as a poor condition trade-in.

So it is kinda disheartening that while I got the best deal I think I could have at this point, the extra options, being almost a 2008 (no bulletholes for the parking sensors!), and all my extra upkeep and meticulous detail to keeping the car its best pretty much went to nothing....But that's ok. I really loved the car while I had it, and now someone else has a nice W221 to continue looking after. I can't imagine I won't be getting another S-Class at some time in the future. I have to say I will still miss mine a lot in the next few days after it goes (especially when I am in the Tesla's front seat and absent-mindedly try adjusting dynamic seats). I'm driving it myself to the buyer a few hours away more so for that one last adventure in the car than for anything else.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by kalortpor
SOLD to a car enthusiast (offsite)! I only ever used Leatherique for the interior, the car wouldn't recognize what a automatic car wash if it saw it (always 2 bucket method, grit guards, clean microfibers every time), and clearbra'd....He got a great deal on a car that still rode smooth as ever (my father's 06 W220, which has less miles and ABC, feels nice still but kinda worn as you drive it....a marked difference how it felt even 50,000 miles ago).

I had thought about Carmax, but the ebay auction ended at 17,200, the Autotrader "instant" trade-in offer was 17,200, and so in doing the math, I assumed what CarMax's response would be! That's the wholesale value at auction in Galves and things like it, and below what KBB would have as a poor condition trade-in.

So it is kinda disheartening that while I got the best deal I think I could have at this point, the extra options, being almost a 2008 (no bulletholes for the parking sensors!), and all my extra upkeep and meticulous detail to keeping the car its best pretty much went to nothing....But that's ok. I really loved the car while I had it, and now someone else has a nice W221 to continue looking after. I can't imagine I won't be getting another S-Class at some time in the future. I have to say I will still miss mine a lot in the next few days after it goes (especially when I am in the Tesla's front seat and absent-mindedly try adjusting dynamic seats). I'm driving it myself to the buyer a few hours away more so for that one last adventure in the car than for anything else.
When they are working correctly and in good shape, there is no better luxury value than a used S-class. 380bhp, advanced suspension, good tech, comfy quiet interior, good overall performance, etc...for what sounds like less than $20k. Mileage aside, thats a helluva lot of car for the money.

I often wonder what the exact reason is for such horrible resale. I come to 2 things:

1. Most non-enthusiast S-class buyers won't buy used (or more than 1 or 2 year old CPO). Once they get to be about 7 years old or more, the prices drop to the point where you get to the image buyer (young folks looking to be "ballers").

2. the cost of repairs can frighten a lot of people.

congrats on the sale and enjoy the tesla.