ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

hello everyone..

Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
acura mdx
hello everyone..

just wanted to welcome myself to this forum..ive been following some posts for some time but never posted before...just recently igot a ride in a ml 63 amg..first what a power house this truck is.. y anyone would need a sports car for a sunday drive is beyond me...since then ive been so inlove with the truck that im strongly considering getting a used one with 15 k... first question do all come with the wood grain interior and if so is there any aftermarket replacment...next my friends truck has 45.000 miles and when i say he drives it hard thers not a stop sign he dosent ripp it at zero problems ..i knw that merc. benz has had major problems with air susp. have any new systems been done on this truck.. and what type of reliability does this truck have...i knw that no truck is perfect but has these trucks gotten bettr in reliability....thanx to all...
Old 09-13-2010, 03:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 C63, 07 ML63, 92 500E, 70 300SEL 6.3, 63 220 SEB Conv. Sold 02 G500, 97 E50,92 C280,71 280SE 4.5
Hello, Can only speak of experience with 3 164's, 2 GL450's and my ML63 all 07's not one has experienced any air suspension problems. I cant get enough of my ML its a great DD good luck
Old 09-19-2010, 02:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
There was a recall on the Airmatic Pump that should have been done already.

If not then take it to the dealer where they fit a new one and a different relay.

Other than that I have so far found my Airmatic to be problem free (fingers crossed)

I hear the struts are horrendously expensive.

Other recalls for the early cars include the Valve body in the Auto transmission. Bad ones can make the shifting jerky.

I have noticed that most US spec ML's have the woodgrain interior.

Not sure what it is with the American market but it seems you guys love it as its in a lot of cars!?

Mine has a nice dark finish on it. No woodgrain.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
acura mdx
hey thanks for the replys... any us ml amgs out there. im glad you guys are having fun with your trucks...i dont knw but i cant stand the wood grain interiors..it looks like US trucks only have wood grain...anybody knw any aftermarket replacment..also what tunes are out there with good reliability..also wanted to add that germans really knw how to make great solid cars and trucks after driving acura and infinitis all my life i knw see u get what u pay for..amgs rock

Last edited by amgrrr; 09-20-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
Hi, I couldn't locate the recall # for this. Help.

Originally Posted by schmick325
There was a recall on the Airmatic Pump that should have been done already.

If not then take it to the dealer where they fit a new one and a different relay.

Other than that I have so far found my Airmatic to be problem free (fingers crossed)

I hear the struts are horrendously expensive.

Other recalls for the early cars include the Valve body in the Auto transmission. Bad ones can make the shifting jerky.

I have noticed that most US spec ML's have the woodgrain interior.

Not sure what it is with the American market but it seems you guys love it as its in a lot of cars!?

Mine has a nice dark finish on it. No woodgrain.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C63S
I had two problems previously with my suspension,--airmatic jump and an angle sensor, both replaced under warranty.

I actually found myself calling my tech the other day to "wish up" some service (like fresh oil for summer) since the truck has not even seen the shop since Nov. Chalk it up to sort of having the ac guy give you a spring and fall service for filters, humidifier, etc.....I plan to take the truck in just to give it a good look over for summer. No issues all winter long
Old 04-19-2015, 04:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
First of all welcome and congrats on your choice. You will not be disappointed the ml63 is an amazing sport truck

Regarding the suspension on the w164 ml my opinion is easy, if you have an issue and it's not covered by warranty go with an aftermarket brand. Honestly I drove a heavily modified w164 ml done by The tuner Vath and boy that thing handled like a c63 around corners!!

I can check the suspension they installed if needed but regardless apart the stiffness this ml was insane around corners

Back on topic, talking about reliability the Vath ml had 120'000 miles and is regularly used on track... So it's very reliable

My modified w166 ml63 is also used regularly on track and it's a dream in terms of reliability with 30'000 miles now. My mb dealer is just surprised on how fast the brakes need to be changed