ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

W164 Rear Tires Wear Rate.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
W164 Rear Tires Wear Rate.

I just noticed the rear tires are wearing a lot faster than the front ones. Is this expected?

I was under the understanding our cars run on AWD all the time. If so, how come the rear ones wear sooner?
Old 03-29-2014, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML63 AMG
Maybe get your alignment checked, the rear is adjustable
Old 03-30-2014, 03:57 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Completely normal. No it's not 4wd all the time. Power only goes to front wheels if it is needed. The 4 matic system will send 100% of power to rear wheels under normal driving so you will have RWD wear characteristics under most conditions hence why your rears will wear out faster than your fronts.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 PM

I see...I see...well that explains it all! One learns something new every day.

I checked again and the wear is very uniform across the full width of the tires, which tells me it is time for me to shop for new ones.

I will try to go for something different from what I have at this time...not very pleased with the short life span of the PZeros.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:26 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by autodoc
Maybe get your alignment checked, the rear is adjustable

Ex-factory there is only front and rear "Toe" adjustment for virtually all Mercedes models.

No Camber and Caster adjustment capability to reduce costly, premature inner edge tire wear and increase traction. Also to resolve steering pull and improve steering response along with quicker turn in and reduced dive/lift on brake and acceleration.

K-MAC front and rear kits are essential to allow you to return vehicle to factory specs (and have ongoing adjustment) after curb knock damage, altering height, load carrying or fitting wide profile tires.

The patented K-MAC design requires no special tools to install. Both front and rear only need a single wrench to precisely adjust/change setting.

SPECIAL PROMOTIONAL OFFER FOR APRIL MB WORLD MEMBERS
FedEx air delivery $25 one kit or $35 Front and Rear kits (normally $70 and $85)

Last edited by K-Mac; 03-31-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:32 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Originally Posted by MercsDude
I see...I see...well that explains it all! One learns something new every day.

I checked again and the wear is very uniform across the full width of the tires, which tells me it is time for me to shop for new ones.

I will try to go for something different from what I have at this time...not very pleased with the short life span of the PZeros.
I am running the continental DWS tires for the 295/40/20 size and they are fantastic tire and have great grip and are super soft compared to the stock tires. They have a 540 treadwear rating and last a very very long time at a very reasonable cost.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ML63 AMG
I am running the continental DWS tires for the 295/40/20 size and they are fantastic tire and have great grip and are super soft compared to the stock tires. They have a 540 treadwear rating and last a very very long time at a very reasonable cost.
I have read great reviews about the DWS's. Would I be tearing them up if I drive them in Florida? On the other hand, it does rain here ... A LOT during the summer months.