ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

In the market for ML63, question on rear entertainment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32, '08 ML63
In the market for ML63, question on rear entertainment?

So as much as I love my C32 it's a little small with a child seat in the back. Not that I plan on selling it but I'm ready for a bigger vehicle for the family. I've been watching for a Capri Blue ML63 for about a year now and haven't found one yet that has what I want.

As an example there's a 2011 for sale but it's missing the rear entertainment which leads me to my question: Does anyone know how hard this is to add afterwards if you buy one without it? If I knew it could be added without a huge hassle that would at least open up some options for when the blue ones come up for sale once or twice a year.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 06-10-2014, 07:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C63S
If you don't want to get one equipped with it already, there are all kinds of companies that make aftermarket DVD set ups, including portable ones. In a prior vehicle I had a set that secured to each side headrest, giving each child their own screen. They could watch videos or play video games. When the trip was over we just removed them back to their case for the next trip.

They were not expensive and I want to say I got it at Best Buy or one of those types of places. I've also seen the other extreme where you can actually get satellite tv in your truck that kids can watch while enroute but those applications are in the thousands.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 AM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
That's a good point. My biggest thing was wanting the OEM one since it integrates with the front head unit based on what I've read. But then the odds of me ever wanting to listen to what kids are watching in the back is probably slim to none. ;-)

Thanks for the reply!
Rich
Old 06-10-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
'16 Jaguar F-Type R, '21 GLE63s
If you want the OEM rear entertainment system, you need to make sure that the vehicle at least has the pre-wiring option for adding the system. Pre-wiring is not standard and the original owner would have had to custom order it. Adding the OEM rear entertainment without the pre-wiring will be extremely difficult and most likely be extremely expensive.

There's no way to visually check for the pre-wiring short of pulling up the rear carpet though, so you would need to see the original paperwork to verify if the vehicle you are interested in has the option. You might be better off with an aftermarket system.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:49 PM

'03 C32, '08 ML63
Originally Posted by another_geek
If you want the OEM rear entertainment system, you need to make sure that the vehicle at least has the pre-wiring option for adding the system. Pre-wiring is not standard and the original owner would have had to custom order it. Adding the OEM rear entertainment without the pre-wiring will be extremely difficult and most likely be extremely expensive.

There's no way to visually check for the pre-wiring short of pulling up the rear carpet though, so you would need to see the original paperwork to verify if the vehicle you are interested in has the option. You might be better off with an aftermarket system.
That is exactly what I was wondering. Thank you very much.

Rich