ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

The annoying P0410 Code

Old 06-17-2014, 12:24 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C63S
The annoying P0410 Code

Just looking for some feedback for those that have encountered this, got a CEL about a week ago, ran the scanner and it came back P0410--Secondary Air Injection. I cleared it and it would stay off for a couple days then come back on again. I threw in a can of BG44 (although I don't think that is going to fix it), based on some feedback that sometimes the hoses get clogged with carbon buildup and this will throw the code. It went about 4 days but came on again yesterday. Car seems to be running fine, I don't notice any issues with it other than CEL.

Reading up on this, seems like the SAI works at start up to blow air into the exhaust to help the cats warm up to temp, and is mainly an emissions type thing and not a huge performance buster. (Chime in if i'm wrong)!

Waiting to take it in to my AMG tech, who tells me that he will clean the hoses with a compressor and see if that takes care of it as he's seen that on a few C63's and usually that is the fix. Reading online, I saw a few other possible culprits for this:

1. loose hoses, that should be an easy one to diagnose.
2. check valve bad, possibly allowing water to seep back into the SAI pump
3. the pump itself (I believe I hear it come on for about 40 secs after cold start so I'm not sure it's the pump--unless it is just slowly failing).
4. Secondary relay. This is a cheap part and read a few stories where this is sometimes the problem. Thinking about swapping it out just cause it's an easy solution if its the problem. The fact the pump seems to be working though makes me think that the relay is not the problem.

Based on symptoms, anyone else have this happen or have any suggestions or input on this?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:44 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Mine ended up being the hose actually came off. Sounded likea. Hair dryer the first 20 seconds when car would start. Cleaning hoses and pathways helps too. Dealership did not even charge me because it was in for basic maintenance anyways.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C63S
yep, was so blatantly obvious once you looked under the hood. I didn't realize our secondary pump was over on the left (if facing engine), the hose coming from it that goes across and connects to the one that goes up under the engine shroud (the amg cover) was totally hanging out there disconnected. Re-secured it, cleared the code and don't expect to see the light again.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML55, ML430, 600SL, 190E 16V
Good fix.