ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

New Rims (pics) + Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Rims (pics) + Questions

Recently purchased a 2009 ML63. The ML came with the older style 20" rims (the 2008 style rims), but it had new tires. So, being near Chicago (and having to deal with snow/ice) I stayed with 20" instead of upgrading to 21", and purchased better looking replacement wheels off eBay.

I was going to order via Power Wheels Pro, but they didn't have any of these in stocks, so ordered from a vendor on eBay. The wheels came in 2 days from New York to Chicago, were packaged extremely well, and didn't have a single flaw. However, I did need to purchase a set of shorter lug nuts, which took me all day to find. I tried the Benz dealer, every car/tire place near me, every European car tuner/shop, etc...and nobody had the lug nuts...except for Pep Boys, the last place I checked. Thank God they had them!

Here are some pics of the wheels on her, along with an eBay front plate (AMG). I couldn't find a front plate filler (pretty much every Audi has one available for it), so did the next best thing, and got the AMG styled plate.

Ordered some G2 caliper paint, so that'll be next.

I do have some questions which hopefully someone can answer for me:

- The TPMS sensors were corroded onto my old wheels, so they couldn't swap them to these wheels. I was expecting some sort of TPMS error, but have nothing (that's good, I think). So no error to deal with or code away, but...shouldn't of I gotten an error now that there are no sensors on the wheels?

- I'm thinking about putting some spacers on, maybe 1/4", just to get the wheels out a bit further to give it a slightly more aggressive look. The guy at the tire place is talking me out of them, saying they're slightly dangerous. I've never heard that before, so wanted to get some opinions on it, and see what people are running for spacers (not necessary to fix offset, just for looks).

- Why does the car "settle" when you get out and lock it. That is, I know what's happening, but don't know why. Is it less stress on the car/parts while it sits to have it lower?

- Has anyone found a solution for white LED license plate lights that don't throw a code? Emailed AZN Optic and they think their LED's will throw a code. Adding a resistor the only way to get LED lights back there? Does anyone know if the quality LED's (like AZN Optic sells) will throw a code for the front parking lights and/or the lights that point down in the side mirror lights?

- What's the true HP on a 2009 ML63? I've read 503, 507, and 510. Sometimes in the same article it'll have 2 different HP's listed for 2009.

And what we've all been waiting for...pictures!

Before:

After:

Old 07-05-2014, 07:56 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
If you get hub centric spacers you will have to go back to longer bolts (just FYI. I agree btw. My forgestar wheels have a MUCH lower offset than stock in order to push the wheels further out from the hubs (basically mimicking the function of spacers but directly into the back mounting face of the wheels).

I would assume you need a good 10-15mm spacers to get the look you are going for. I forget the exact number
Old 07-05-2014, 10:19 AM

Thanks.

Also, after about 15 miles of driving, my the tire pressure error came on. Now it's on every time I start the car. It seems that some people just say "ok", and it clears the error and it doesn't show again until they restart the car.

In my case, the orange low tire pressure light is on all the time now. How do I disable that or code it to not show? Under messages I get the error that there are no tire pressure sensors.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
You need to putt he TPMS sensors back in
Old 07-07-2014, 12:54 AM

2008 ML63 AMG
Good looking ML. Nice choice on the wheels. Without the sensors it will keep lighting up the warnings. Only way is to put sensors on the wheels I'm afraid.

I haven't looked for Mercedes but I ran spacers in all my Audis. They needed to be wheel and hub-centric. That makes them all fit together tight like a jigsaw puzzle. Eliminates any wobble or mis-alignment when installing them. H&R is the best from my experience, ECS tuning also made good ones. I'd ask them if they make any in the right specs you're looking for. You're going to need longer lugs as well depending on how thick of spacer you get.

I do remember somebody using spacers on an ML a little while back I think so maybe spend some time searching older threads? Good luck!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:10 AM

Are you guys saying its not possible at all to disable TPMS, or just on a 2009 ML63 it's not possible?

I've found 2 different instructions online for how to disable TPMS:

IC - Instrument Cluster
Tire Pressure
change from Present to Not Present

and...

IC - Instrument Cluster
Control Unit Adaptation
TPM
Select All Setting to Turn Off

Looking for clear clarification that maybe it's possible to turn off TPMS on some models, but definitely not on the 2009 ML63. In that case, anything I can do to hide that warning light?!?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the info on the spacers btw.