ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ml 350....no dash light won't start....HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 ml350 xk jag
ml 350....no dash light won't start....HELP!!!!

Hi Guys,

Am new to the forum but been lurking for some time now, been a member on the uk site for a while now but in desperate need for advice and help as no one from uk seems to know the answer.....here goes !!!!!

A few months ago i bought a front end damaged 2010 ML 350, the vehicle air bags were deployed, radiator etc all crushed, the car was1is a non runner with 34000 miles on the clock.

Airbags have been replaced, crash sensor been reset. Bodywork nearly all done.

Car been on Star, but it can not read the majority of ECU'S, will only read the SRS edu.

When the key is used in the EIS there is no wurring (steering lock) sound, no dashboard lights. All fuses relays and wiring have been thoroughly inspected many times now. Only visible wiring damage was the wires to the horn.

The key locks and unlocks the doors, when it is inserted into the ignition it turns no problem, however the key from my E320 also turns in the ML ignition.

The key from the ML however does not turn in the E class, have tried a new key from the dealers in the ML and it also turns freely.

Having thought the ignition was faulty i thought this was the issue, this would tie in that the ECU'S where not receiving power hence not being able to communicate with star.

Is it true that mercedes changed the EIS ignition switch to operate as the one in my ML does (totally different to the E class)???.

I presume that the presafe system shut down the car at the point of impact, and am sure it is still holding off power somehow.

Thanks for taking the time to read my first post........HELP !!!!!!!!!!

bob
Old 09-07-2014, 10:40 PM

Don't have one
First of all, I think this is not the place for you question, but reagrdless of this, you should check the fuses under the right front seat, just near the battery. In your case (being a right hand side driver position) it may be on the other side. There wont be any steering lock noise, as your ML system is totally different from your E-class. You are just not getting any power to the eis, that is way ignition is not working. If after you DID infact check this, and everything is alright, then you might have a problem with you front SAM (also located in the battery compartment), which give the signal for the ''15'' to be activated.
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Old 09-08-2014, 06:55 AM

e320 ml350 xk jag
Hi Punchi

Sorry if this is not in the right place but i did not know where else to post it.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and your advice, will take another look.

Bob
Old 09-10-2014, 05:14 AM

Don't have one
Boblydon,
I will try to be very precise, and hopefully if you follow this step by step, you should solve your problem.
First thing you should check is Fuse 14 in the cockpit fuse box. This is the fuse the feeds "30" or Battery + to the EIS. I've enclosed a photo of where the fuse box is (again, it may be on the other side in you case, as I never delt with RHD models).
If fuse 14 is OK, measure for 12 volts here. If you DON'T have power or 12v. in this whole fuse box, then this is the problem you are having.
Now you should check fuse 86 in the fusebox F33 located compartment UNDER the seat, besides the battery. Usually is under the right front seat (again, it may be on the other side in you case, as I never delt with RHD models).
This should solve your problem if u don't a problem with the EIS or any other ecu in the car.
Try and report.
Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails ml 350....no dash light won't start....HELP!!!!-ml164-cockpit-fuse-box.jpg   ml 350....no dash light won't start....HELP!!!!-ml164-eis.jpg   ml 350....no dash light won't start....HELP!!!!-ml-fusebox-underseat.jpg   ml 350....no dash light won't start....HELP!!!!-ml-f3-cockpit-fuse-box-schematics.jpg  
Old 09-11-2014, 03:14 AM

e320 ml350 xk jag
Hi Punchi,

Thankyou for taking the time to reply and including the photographs, i really appreciate it.

Am away from home till late sunday, will have a look on monday and report back.

Once again many thanks.

Bob
Old 10-19-2014, 01:01 PM

e320 ml350 xk jag
Well eventually back from my holidays, time to get stuck into repairing the ML, would once again like to thank Punchi for his help and advice.

Have tried the excellent help/advice from Punchi, but unfortunalatly i have power to the fuses.........so it's looking like the EIS has gone faulty and is just a coincidence that it has happened after the crash........bugger!!!!!!! now it's going to get expensive..

Just wish there was someway in the UK that could test it first to confirm it's knackered.

Bob