ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

All Rear Lights Out - URGENT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question All Rear Lights Out - URGENT

Hi all, and hoping someone can offer some advice please.

2008 ML63 W164

I recently bought a new boat/trailer. It came with the wrong plug so I rewired it according to correct diagrams, confirming the wiring is 100%.

Last week I then towed the trailer locally to get the brakes looked at (unrelated) with no issues.

Today I hooked up the trailer after adjusting the brakes for a quick shake down, and as I braked and indicated, I received the globe error message on the dashboard. Didn't think much of it until I got back into the driveway and scrolled through the error messages.

It appears it is ALL rear globes (3rd brake, left tail, right tail, left indicator, right indicator, left number plate, right number plate etc.).

The other sign that might be something else wrong here, or related, is I seem to have also lost power on my reverse camera at the same time (just a black screen now).

I have checked all fuses.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it might be. Initially I obviously suspected my trailer plug wiring and that I might have shorted something, but I have checked it and it is 100% OK. All these problems are still now happening with the trailer disconnected.

Finally, thinking something may have been upset I disconnected the battery for 30 mins, but that has not helped. It also created another issue, I now have "MALFUNCTION" on the display with a Airmatic / suspension image.

I'm at a loss as to whether this is something I have done, a bad coincidence or what.

To make matters worse, we're going away in 8 days (most of which dealers will be closed) for a 9hour drive towing the boat. Really hoping this will be a relatively painless resolution and hoping MB dealers are going to be able to help me in this time.

Any advice sincerely appreciated!

A stressed, worried and upset ML63 owner from AU.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
Disconnect the trailer plug, clear the codes and see what it does. You didn't say whether the system worked when first completed but something happened between the re wiring of the plug and the globe error. The rewiring of the plug may not be set for the trailer ( grounding etc.) and you need to make sure that the wiring you did matches the trailer wiring. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rewired the trailer plug according to 7pin flat standard, which other trailers I have worked correctly on this vehicle.

I have confirmed my wiring was, and is OK.

The system worked initially on the first outing.

When you see clear the codes, do you mean just by the dash reset button, or by plugging in something? Obviously I don't have any facility like that available at the moment.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
I would suggest you get one. They are cheap, all over the internet and you need to plug in to find out what the car is saying is wrong with it. The fact that it worked on the first outing means it was correct but a pinched wire shorting to ground or incorrectly taped wire that becomes bare and shorts will wreck your day. You need to check each wire with an ohm meter and see if it deflects the meter when the other probe is placed against the chassis of the trailer. You still didn't say if the system worked after you disconnected it. Get a scanner/code reader. They are cheap and If you're going to work on the car it's as indispensable as a screw driver or a set of wrenches. Good luck.