ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Intermittent tapping noise when starting engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ml63
Intermittent tapping noise when starting engine

Hello there everyone, I'm new to the forum and to AMG. I just bought a 2009 ML63 with 60k on the clock and very clean. I have noticed a tapping noise at start up, regardless if it is cold or warm, the noise last about 1 to 2 seconds and then goes away. There is no noise while driving, fast or slow, and nothing at idle.
Has anyone experience this?
Also is asking for a quart of oil, I assume some consumption is normal in this engine, how much is normal?
I have had several mercedes prior but never and AMG, so just curious.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Also would like to know, maintenance recommendations, and what oil is recommended?
Thanks again
Old 05-29-2015, 07:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
Top it off just shy of full. If it's calling for a quart that is probably why it taps on startup regardless whether it's hot or,cold. Are you sure it's a tap and not a slap sound? While highly unlikely unless neglected it could be a timing chain slap. Until you have numbers you don't know what is normal. In my ML55 I use approximately 1/2 quart every 4k miles. The only oil MB recommends for the ML55 and CLS55 is Mobil 1 0w-40. And I change fluid and filter (I get the fleece ones as they offer superior filtration) every 4k miles. It's cheap insurance. Amgs are finely tuned high performance machines but they are no different than any other product MB makes. But at 60k on the clock you need to change some fluids. On my CLS55 AMG I got it with 63k and changed the trans fluid, the filter, the gear lube in the rear, radiator anti-freeze and I'd inspect the pulleys on the front for squeaking because that means change me before I break at a very inopportune and expensive time. Also look at the belt for signs of cracking and check the engine for signs of oil leaks since the engines do get hot and gaskets dry out. With the ML I'd also change the transfer case fluid and the front pumpkin gear lube.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C63S
agree with the other guy, if you don't know the fluid history it's safe insurance to change out all the fluids so you have a baseline at least going forward for when they were last done. If you have no idea of history, I'd recommend you take it in for a "B" so you know it gets a bigger service done and suggest they swap out all those fluids.

My ML63 says 5W40 so I put that in it and I don't go the "10k" recommended service intervals MB suggest, I do 1/2 that and change the oil at 5. I'll usually try to put fresh oil in it in the spring/summer and again once it turns to winter, that's about 5k for me. They are known to burn a quart every 10k or so and they will tell you that's normal consumption and not to be worried. Look around for any leaks, check the belts and pulley's (I replaced my pulleys but that was at 100k).

Read around on the forums as I know some of the 63's had issues with headbolts, but to be honest I don't recall if that affected 09 vehicles or not. There is a lot within the search on that stuff.

Enjoy your new ride, at 60k, its just broken in :-)
Old 06-28-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML63
At 60K miles MB does not call for any fluid changes. You have a maintenance indicator and changing the oil at the 10K is perfectly fine. No matter what these other guys are saying. Changing the oil at 5K is a total waste of time and money. Synthetic oil does NOT break down at 5K miles. Tranny fluid change at 80K. And gear lube wont need to be changed until well above 100K if at all.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:01 PM

1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
Well for what that vehicle costs you can afford to do some preventive maintenance unless you got the money to waste on the results of bad maintenance. Don't forget the 722.6 5 speed trans comes to you courtesy of Mercedes Benz the people who said it was "sealed for life" but then decided changes were necessary after failures started occurring. To each his own but you aren't dictating my maintenance. My last independently maintained (by me) MB was an S class and had 375,000 when it was destroyed in an accident. I'll do it my way thanks. Good luck your way.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML63
Originally Posted by vvrjrlaw
Well for what that vehicle costs you can afford to do some preventive maintenance unless you got the money to waste on the results of bad maintenance. Don't forget the 722.6 5 speed trans comes to you courtesy of Mercedes Benz the people who said it was "sealed for life" but then decided changes were necessary after failures started occurring. To each his own but you aren't dictating my maintenance. My last independently maintained (by me) MB was an S class and had 375,000 when it was destroyed in an accident. I'll do it my way thanks. Good luck your way.
LOL @ "bad maintenance". Explain how following Mercedes recommendations is so called "bad maintenance". There is a reason why the recommendations are put in place. Actually the service life of all the fluids are way more than what MB recommends. I was actually in the service department earlier today for an oil change. I asked the AMG tech when should the oil be changed. His exact words "change it when the maintenance reminder comes on". So I said should I change it before that? Exact words, "you can but there is absolutely no reason to".
But I guess you know more than the trained AMG techs.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:02 PM

More than most (about 40 years or so) trust me. Remember they gave you the "sealed for life" 722.6? I rest my case. So while you were chatting with your AMG tech did you inquire about the AMG tech's credentials? Oh that's right he went to MB school. Does he even know at what mileage the "maintenance reminder" comes on? He's driven to push his product for a given set of financial reasons. I'm driven only by a desire to keep the vehicle in top condition. As I said, you do it your "AMG tech" way I'll do it my way and we'll see who has what longer.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C63S
Also, to VV's point, some of the maintenance items are more "time" based than mileage based, a perfect example of that is my C63, I got it in June with only 13k miles on a 2009 car. That's a 6 (almost 7 model year old) vehicle. If you went solely by mileage, that car should have just had an initial oil change, diff service, and then an A service at 10 and call it a day, right?

Well, sometimes sitting is a cars worse enemy. Brake fluid is every 2yrs regardless of mileage. Diff and trans fluid got changed out as well.

Using executive's advice, he would have just kept driving the car until he got to a B at 20k before doing anything. To each their own but the first thing I did when I got the car was change out all those fluids, filters and even the plugs. Yep, not because 13k was excessive, but the car is coming up on 7yrs old. For me, cheap insurance and an investment in the longevity of the vehicle.

Also, with some of the manufacturer's having maintenance plans (like my BMW did and my wife's old infinity), it makes economical sense for them to recommend longer service intervals because they are the one's having to pay for all that oil for all the car plans they service. You think BMW wants to have to pay for all that oil if the intervals were 3k or 5k? Their motive is different than ours.

Sure, I had a buddy who used to run amsoil in his truck for the full 25k that they advertise you can leave it in there. Who knows what the status of that engine is at this point as he dumped it years ago when it started burning it. The dealers will tell you its fine to leave it the full 10k and some do, but for me, oil is a pretty cheap fluid to change out and as much as I beat on it, 5-7500k intervals are what works for me.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the concurrence red60R. Each has their own way of maintenance but why ask for trouble? If nothing else getting stuck on the interstate at night because that squeak you ignored turned out to be a pulley bearing that let go and tore up your belt is aggravating and avoidable. I will continue to do my maintenance and best of luck with the various types of maintenance being used.