ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

2001 ML55 purchase questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
n
2001 ML55 purchase questions

I am close to purchasing a 2001 ml55 amg with 167k miles. Car is in decent shape but needs an alignment and 2 new tires. Also a/c isnt as cold as i believe it should be. With that said what other items should i make sure to check as well as is it a good deal for an even trade of my 2002 bmw 540i. The bmw has 149k miles. Any advice will be helpful
Old 06-16-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
Records records records! Get them and read them. The vehicles are amazingly fast and if properly maintained virtually trouble free. But if not they are an expensive nightmare.
Check the cats as they are notorious for breaking up and rattling inside the converter. If you're not sure take it to your indie and have him check it out, and scan it for codes with a high end scanner capable of evaluating individual systems.
Check the transmission for servicing. The 722.6 5 speed auto is virtually bulletproof but some items need to be attended to. Despite popular belief (and MB) the trans is NOT sealed do life and the fluid and filter should be changed every 30 or 60 thousand. The exact number is not in front of me but the forum has it. Also the plug on the passenger side of the trans needs inspection for leakage. There are two "o" rings inside the plug and generally the one closest to the transmission leaks. If it is leaking it needs to be addressed right away because if not the fluid will wick up the cable and if there are any fine metallic particles in the fluid it could damage the TCU. Also determine if the transmission conductor plate has been changed. With those miles the plate should be changed prophylacticly because it can't be in the best of shape it's plastic subject to warpage from the extremes in temperature and there are 6 solenoids resting on top that again if there are any metallic particles in the fluid will cause them to malfunction.
Front and rear fluids as well as the transfer case fluid should be changed at least once since purchase.
And wires and plugs twice since purchase. None of this is difficult to do and nothing is brain surgery. The correct tools, a weekend, and some music and you can do all the maintenance yourself. Cats you want changed by a pro but the rest you can do one job per weekend. It's a great vehicle, got some quirks, but will run for a long time if properly maintained. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
n
Thanks for that detailed response. Definitely helps. Records are very limited as current owner had car 4 years and did majority of work himself.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
Then ask him. If he did the work himself he should know each item I've detailed and when or if the maintenance was performed.