ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

New on forum/Mercedes family and doubts have started :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320 W163
Cool New on forum/Mercedes family and doubts have started :)

Hello Mercedes family!

Iīm new to this forum, and to the Mercedes clan!

First of all congratulations for MBWORLD and to share such interesting content! Was a very positive surprise for me!

I just bought my 1st Mercedes : a 2000 Mercedes ML 320 W163 with 190000km.

Long kms in this engine, but it was a nice deal and now I will be able to transform this car as Iīve always planned to

However, thereīs few things that I would like to share with you guys and to know few opinions:

1) It have the ABS light always turned on.
According to the mechanic itīs the ABS pump, and he is trying to find one in good condition for 2nd hand.
But according to what Iīve found online, thereīs a DIY relatively easy for those who have registered this problem in the pump and itīs easy to fix it. Am I correct?

2) A awkward situation this car have is that it have 2 antennas, in the top of the car (both sides), like if it was an old tv from the 60s. Is this normal in the first models of this car, or the previous owner was making some bricolage?
I want to place a 2din radio with gps. Itīs easy to replace this 2 antennas for the normal one like a shark in the back of the car (radio + gps)?

3) I would like to replace the A/C console, with the 3 manual buttons, for the AC console version of MLs from 2002, more modern.
Itīs just replace one for another, or itīs not possible to do it?

4) In terms of engine, do you recommend any specia care? spark plugs, kn air filter, which type of oil to use, etc...

All suggestions will be more than welcome guys!

Thanks and hope to share a lot of good ML experiences with all of you!!

Cheers,

Joao
Old 08-17-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
First congratulations on your acquisition. Would like to suggest that you fill in your profile since things like location tell us the type of car you have and whether special items are on the vehicle or not. Now on to your questions.
1. ABS light is generally not the pump but the brushes in the pump that wear out. It's a cheap DIY that can be made for 6.00 in brushes and some time. The pump is over a grand so you may want to look at this alternative unless you have buckets of money to throw away.
2. They generally are equipped with a single "shark fin " on the top although in the rear bumper there are two antennas that serve the phone to make a call when the vehicle is in an accident. Most probably the previous owner made some mods. You should know what they are before you consider converting back.
3. I can't answer whether the change to the later console is possible. If your console looks good in terms of condition then leave it alone as you are asking for headaches.
4. Records records records. Look them over carefully and make sure all changes of fluids have been made. If you are unsure CHANGE IT! Also if the trans hasn't been serviced or if it's overdue then drop the pan, change the filter check the magnet for particulates and reassemble. Tons of OEM kits on EBay. Notice I did not say flush it, I said drop the pan. All the flushing means nothing if the filter is saturated with particulates in fact it can do damage. Like changing your oil and not changing the oil filter. Do it right and you will have many more miles of trouble free operation. Good Luck.