ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

2010 ML63 AMG muffler OR resonator delete - WHICH IS IT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ML63 AMG
2010 ML63 AMG muffler OR resonator delete - WHICH IS IT?

Originally posted in the w166 forum - OoPs...

Hey guys. I'm about to buy a 2010 ML63 AMG. Coming from a 2012 jeep srt.

I took the resonator off my jeep and it sounds awesome. On the Jeep SRT, the resonator. Just to be 100% clear, what was removed is the big @ss can right before the exhaust tips exit the vehicle. I just had it straight piped through.

This isn't mine, but mine's identical:

You can see there's NO big can in there, it's just pipes straight to the big tips like I have.

Here's what it sounds like, and oddly enough this is the exact video that convinced me to do it lol:

This is before the tips and additional pipes, but it sounds the same. And also, it's the resonator, not the muffler he's removed.

I'm getting mixed results of what to do with the ml. I can't find the threads, videos, or audio clips of EXACTLY what needs to be done to accomplish the exact same thing. I want to be 100% sure what to remove.

If I did the same thing I did with my Jeep, on the ML I'd be removing the big cans right before the exhaust leaves the vehicle. But what I'm hearing most guys are doing is removing the 2.75" resonator, which is apparently BEFORE the axles, and replacing it with a simple 12-14" of straight pipe.

Can I get some insight on what people are Doing to make this thing sound as awesome as my srt? My SRT is rank. It's not civilized at all. You hear it idle from the house. And conservative, redneck, or whatever you call it, I want the AMG to do the same.

...yes, I also have a 1970 Road Runner with exhaust dumps that I run open all the time. Now THAT car is loud. The Jeep, and hopefully this AMG are just normal daily driver loud for me. I live in Alberta Canada too, so we're all rednecks here anyway lol.

Btw expensive aftermarket exhausts are not an option. I'm looking for low budget solutions here that can be done by a local mandrel pipe bender with a tig welder. It's also worth mentioning that if I lose a few HP I'm not worried. with 505HP, losing 1-2% is no big deal to me.

Thanks!!!!!

Last edited by TicketsAPlenty; 10-22-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:58 PM

ML63 AMG
maybe it's both? lol

bttt
Old 11-01-2015, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63
I'm only running the resonator delete. It's not a great deal louder than stock. Just gives it it bit more crackle and pop. I can't imagine that being redneck enough.

If you want loud, remove the rear mufflers (the primaries attached to the exhaust tips) and replace with straight pipes. But keep the resonators for stage 1. I suspect you'll be happy with that, and hopefully it doesn't drone with the resonators in place. If you want ultimate loud, you can always drop the resonators out later.

Be sure to post up a vid once you get it done!

Enjoy.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:30 PM

ML63 AMG
Thanks man for your comment.

I did the reso delete last week. Removing those two small pipes makes very little difference, as you suggested.

This week we'll cut out the two mufflers at the back and see how that is. That'll be 100% straight pipes from the cats back.

I will post video of all stages.

I have it in my head that I'll be putting the resonators back in, but not the mufflers, but we'll see!
Old 11-02-2015, 12:48 AM

ML63
Awesome, looking forward to hearing the beast.

Out of interest, what made you go for the ML over your SRT? They're subscribing to the same ethos for sure, but I would have expected the SRT to feel a little fresher? Just based on it being a newer generation vehicle. I strongly considered a SRT before purchasing my ML, but a deal was done before I even test drove the Jeep. I love the Merc, but it left me wondering...
Old 11-02-2015, 10:18 AM

ML63 AMG
Good question. First off, the SRT was an impulse buy for me back in 2012. Someone ordered it but didn't take it. I lusted after these and knew tons about them, when no one, including the salesmen did. And they weren't that popular yet. I had the only one in a city of 100,000 for a year. Then a few popped up, and now there's probably 10+. I got tired of seeing my "exclusive" 470HP vehicle everywhere. The people driving them now aren't even Mopar nuts like me (also have a 1970 Road Runner 383 in Plum Crazy). The typical owner went to buy a jeep then talked his wife into the "top of the line" model.

The AMG is, for one, much more civilized to drive. It handles better. It shifts better. And it doesn't feel as raunchy with its power delivery.

But the AMG is smaller for a tall driver, smaller over all, and has less space in the back seat for knees and less space in the trunk.

The AMG, in 2010 at least has one of the worst stereos I've seen. It sounds amazing. But you can't replace it. You can't stream music via Bluetooth, and it's not touch screen.

While you could have a newer SRT or a 3 year older AMG for about the same money, I'll always take the AMG. That is, until they cram the 707 hellcat motor into the TrackHawk in 2017.

The jeep was great. And a bit of a sleeper. No one knew it was fast or pricey. The AMG is similar only in that no one knows it's fast. As a Realtor, I'm unsure if driving a Merc will negatively impact my business, but time will tell.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:10 PM

ML63
Great insight, thanks.

There's whispers that the Trackhawk will be available in Australia. No doubt it'll be in small volumes, but i'll be gunning for one to be sure!

It's good to hear that the Jeeps are more accommodating to the larger driver. I certainly fit that description. At 6'7" and 320, I'm used to feeling squished. I find the ML to be just roomy enough, but a few extra inches in the Jeep will be welcome.

I feel your displeasure with the standard ML command system. That's why the first thing I did was fit Alpine's X800D-ML unit. It wasn't the turnkey solution that Alpine advertises, but with an amp swap (moving away from optical connections), and some trickery it's working well. It really helps lift the interior too. At some point i'll do a detailed write up of my findings and solutions.

Alpine X800-ML
Old 11-06-2015, 11:48 PM

ML63 AMG
Alright so I had the resonator AND mufflers removed.

To reiterate, the resonators are smaller, like the size of a small muffler and they're under the mid part of the vehicle.

The mufflers are gigantic and at the back by the tips.

With both removed, here's my thoughts:

1) it sounds like a cigarette boat with twin 502's
2) it drones inside at the following rpm ranges: 100-7,000
3) my wife describes the sound most astutely as " it sounds broken"
4) I had a ricer in an older Jetta with a fart can pull up beside me and rev his car up approvingly
5) I started it outside a clients house just as I was leaving a meeting, and I cringed after I started it up. Their kids surely woke up
6) I opened it up on the street in front of my house, and my mother in law, unknowing it was me, asked my wife if motorcycles were still out this time of year
7) it sounds like all types of shyte and is about to drive me nuts
8) it doesn't sound tuned, it sounds broken
9) pressing the start button is as if you brought a crack addicted hooker home, dressed her up in a white Sunday dress, did her makeup and hair, then rang the doorbell at your moms house and let your new girlfriend do all the talking. She'd look great until she opened her mouth, then everyone in the house would be like WTF????
The following 2 users liked this post by TicketsAPlenty:
James Leigh (10-22-2020), Solo wing (08-19-2021)
Old 11-07-2015, 12:16 AM

ML63
Haha! Well, I do recall the term Redneck being used as a desired adjective. Sounds like that's what you got!

Back to the ol' drawing board then. Could you try welding the resonators back in first? See if that gives some tone back. Or install larger resonators (aftermarket) in the same mid position?

Appreciate you spending your hard-earned for this aural experiment! Really hope you find the sweet spot soon.

I'm toying with the idea of running Y-pieces before the rear mufflers with 2 x valved dump pipes. Should get a decent bellow with them open, then back to civilized with them shut. I expect it to sound different than yours because the rear mufflers will still be soaking up a bit of the fury.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:33 AM

ML63 AMG
This would be the sound of the Benz that Redneck Billy's in-bred, banjo-playing, moonshine-drinking uncle-grandpa Jeb drives. I just wanted Redneck Billy's Benz. There's TOOOO much bayou in this here Benz!!!
Old 11-07-2015, 12:34 AM

ML63 AMG
I'm either putting stock reso' back in, or sourcing some flow through mufflers that are slightly longer...
Old 11-07-2015, 12:34 AM

ML63 AMG
To be clear - that's just in place of the original resonators. I'll leave the stock mufflers off for now.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Put mufflers back and then do headers
Old 11-08-2015, 06:37 AM

ML63 AMG 2010
Originally Posted by ENV²
Put mufflers back and then do headers
yes, agree here.

i have a 2010 ml63. ill be installing the kleemann long tubes. coupled with SS midpipes and SS resonated x-pipes. was going non res x pipes, but dont like too much db / rasp.
back mufflers remain stock
Old 12-21-2015, 04:10 PM

2011 ml63
i have a 2012 srt8 and i love it but now im thinking of getting 2011 ML63 AMG bc anything newer is forced induction which I don't like just bc its going to be my daily and I will kick the crap out of it, have you had any problems with the ML and also any feed back on the ML will be greatly appreciated vs the SRT8, with your exhaust question why not do a exhaust by pass valve just after the header so I can turn it on when you want it to be loud or off so you can drive it stock? that's what I did for my SRT8 and I love it.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:41 AM

ML63 AMG 2010
Originally Posted by steiner75
yes, agree here.

i have a 2010 ml63. ill be installing the kleemann long tubes. coupled with SS midpipes and SS resonated x-pipes. was going non res x pipes, but dont like too much db / rasp.

ok ive done a backflip... stock mufflers are OUT... supersprint mufflers in.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:34 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Keep the stock mufflers and just remove the mid resonators. The stock rear mufflers are actually the he best of any AMG. If you want more sound than that upgrade the front dual hybrid catalytic converters to a single high flow primary cat for more power And sound.

That's the setup I have and it is by far the best
Old 12-29-2015, 04:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Originally Posted by steiner75
yes, agree here.

I agree 100% great point!

Headers or mid pipes will make a big difference on our ML63, the sound is then perfect!
Mid-pipes are easier because you don't need to take out the engine :-)
Old 12-29-2015, 04:50 AM

ML63 AMG 2010
Originally Posted by ML63 AMG
Keep the stock mufflers and just remove the mid resonators. The stock rear mufflers are actually the he best of any AMG. If you want more sound than that upgrade the front dual hybrid catalytic converters to a single high flow primary cat for more power And sound.

That's the setup I have and it is by far the best
nice setup.

what headers u running.

the supersprint mufflers do give it a deeper sound.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:37 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
So does the resonator delete, it rises a full 12 months for the sound to finally settle after a resonator delete, it gets louder and deeper over time the harder you push it.

Stock headers are all you need, that's not where the real restriction is. It's the cumbersome dual primary/secondary dual cats that Rob power on the ML63s because it is the ONLY AMG that has that unique catalytic setup for some reason.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
W204 C63 also has primary cats, secondary cats, resonators then mufflers
Old 01-05-2016, 05:07 PM

09 ML63
I've had my resonators removed for about 8 months. I'm looking for more grunt but it is extremely nice to have such a quite cabin. For that reason, I'm going to try electric cut outs.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:06 AM

ML63 AMG 2010
Originally Posted by ML63 AMG
So does the resonator delete, it rises a full 12 months for the sound to finally settle after a resonator delete, it gets louder and deeper over time the harder you push it.

Stock headers are all you need, that's not where the real restriction is. It's the cumbersome dual primary/secondary dual cats that Rob power on the ML63s because it is the ONLY AMG that has that unique catalytic setup for some reason.
theres no real restriction on the stock manifold, true. but its sheite. ive done a further 360... kleemann log headers/ hi flow cats in. SS resonated xpipe and SS mufflers. ill see how this setup goes.