ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Racing Brake saved my life!! (a close call story)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 01:10 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Racing Brake saved my life!! (a close call story)

Often times when we all set out to modify our vehicles our primary goal is often superficial concerns (more sound, more aggressive looks, wider stance etc). However, it is those often overlooked secondary benefits that are by far the most profound and important.

When I initially started out on my ML63 Mass Reduction project the primary goal was improve the looks, performance, and ride comfort. In doing do the positive benefits were also improved traction and substantially improved braking performance. Most of the times we barely blink an eye to the latter, yet it is actually by far the MOST important benefit of upgrading your wheels/tire/brake assembly.

Just last week I was driving on the feeder road at around 50mph on the way to a local car event at the exotic car dealership here in town. En route, we were coming up on a stale green light (for at least 15+ second) minding our own business when out of the corner of my eye a maroon mini van was coming at full speed from the right at roughly 50mph narrowly missing the Scion xB infront of me by a few car lengths in between. She was blasting through the fully stale redlight at FULL SPEED (I could not believe it)...

With only split seconds to react, I immediately mash on the brake full force as the seatbelt pressed deeply into my chest at full negative G-force. All said & done, there we both were middle of the intersection with my ML63 stopping literally just 2 feet from the edge of the lane her car was in as she screeched through the intersection to a stop. Literally 2 feet! ... 24 inches.

Had I not upgraded to Racingbrake 2-piece brake rotors (and Forgestar wheels & Continental DW tires) ... The ML probably would have sustained at least $15-20k in damage as she would have T-boned my baby at a still high rate of speed.

Now I realized that the best investment I ever made into my ML63 was the brakes & tires... Racing Brake + 315mm Continental DW all around were instrumental in saving my life b/c had I not had them I would have stopped at least a good 20-30 feet further and she would have for sure T-boned me at speed.

It goes to show you, life always brings your surprises when you least expect them, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Moral of the story: Always Be Prepared! Racing Brake FTW

Thanks,
ML63 AMG