ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ML 63 AMG - motor and diff issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 AMG W164 (2010)
ML 63 AMG - motor and diff issue

Sorry... I think I posted the below previously in wrong section - any help would be appreciated;

Hi guys, just trying to understand what process is undertaken to remove, rebuild and re-install the engine in this model car?

Long story short, this car (86,000km's) broke a head bolt (or 2) and needed a rebuild. This took place, together with ecu replacement, wiring loom replacement, and oxygen sensor replacement, to get the car back on the road.

When i got the car back, within 10 mins it was shifting gears very violently and making a hissing type sound from somewhere underneath. Took it back the next day, and apparently transmission fluid wasn't topped up, which i am told is the reason for the bad shifting.

Picked up the car again, shifting was normal, however the hissing sound was still there. This went on over the next 5 days, where on the 5th day, in cruise mode, a loud metal bang type noise came from the front end. The front RHS drive shaft/axle had snapped clean!!

Car went back, and shaft was replaced. On the test drive, the same happened again to the mechanic driving it, but this time LHS shaft/axle.

They removed and split open the front diff and tell me the pinion bearing has melted/welded itself onto the pinion.

My question is... to remove the motor, are these drive shaft/axles removed?? And if so, would this cause some or all of the oil to run out of the diff (needing top-up when axles are re-installed). This could explain how this bearing got so hot, that it welded itself onto the pinion? Or do these axles stay in tact, and remained completely untouched throughout the removal and re-installing of the motor...? which makes this sequence of issues a coincidence??

Any help/guidance appreciated...!!! Ted.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
Regardless whether the shafts were removed or not there should have been no leakage as the doffs have seals. You should inspect the unit and look for signs of bad seals because if my memory serves correctly there is no need to remove them. You should speak to whoever did the work to determine if they had some reason to remove them.