ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

looking at a ML63, wont turn over

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A teal Vespa with tassles and glitter. You know you're jealous.
looking at a ML63, wont turn over

So I have been looking for a second Gen M class for my wife and I came across an 08 ML63 with less than 90k original miles. Looks super clean inside and outside from the pics I have seen.

The issue is that it wont turn over. It was running fine, taken to a car wash and now wont turn over after it was parked. The windows work, horn, lights and turn signals work. Just simply wont turn over.

I have researched it some and it could be that the SAM got wet and possibly fried or a blown fuse or two. It could be something stupidly simply like a battery issue. With the other electrical things working fine it seems to me that the main harness isnt affected. I know that with taking these through automatic car washes there is a big risk, which is why I never took my C32 through one. I am just trying to weigh it out here, the price is well below blue book value cause the guy doesnt want to mess with it and he refuses to take it to the dealer because he is involved in a dispute with them.

Has anyone had any issues with their ML getting wet and having this or a similar issue? i researched and found several other cars with similar issues but not the actual W164 platform. Any input on this would be fantastic.

I have been missing my AMG the last 2 years and the wife really likes the second gen M class so this could possibly be a two for one deal here.

Thanks
Andrew
Old 07-28-2016, 04:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ML63 AMG 13 SLK 55 SLK350 AMG kit 07
I would look at the battery first, mine went and had the same on a late 2008 face lift car.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63, 67 Camaro SS
This is the same truck off ebay...I'd be worried the motor is blown, if it was a simple fix they would of done it. Consider replacement engine is around 8-10K so its not much of a deal.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A teal Vespa with tassles and glitter. You know you're jealous.
You're right it is. If I was local I would check it out but i am not.

That little voice in my head was throwing that idea out there as well. While it is a concern with any used vehicle truly. How sturdy are the 6.3 motors? I know how my 3.2 was and the 5.5 but I haven't had much exposure to the 6.3. I have been sold that I am getting another AMG car, either C/E class in the next year or so.

With this truck I figured maybe if it was something simple (obviously I mean electrical issue compared to blown engine here) and the mechanical person they use is inept then it would be a steal. Thats why I was just looking for some ideas as to what it could possibly be, the most common issues.

Last edited by southernwake; 07-29-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63, 67 Camaro SS
There are two ml63 for sale on eBay now with motors that "don't run". They're hoping someone thinks its an easy fix and buys it sight unseen. Both dealers could sell them to wholesalers but are trying to get top dollar. Won't make sense unless you have a garage or engine handy.