M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

So many problems with my 2012 ML350 Bluetec

Old 10-06-2012, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Wagon 4Matic, 2013 650i Gran Coupe, 2014 Mini CM
Unhappy So many problems with my 2012 ML350 Bluetec

I purchased my 2012 ML350 Bluetec back in November 2011. After 2 weeks, the first problem I have was it was pulling to the right at highway speed. After left it with the dealer for about a week, they finally realized that it was bad tire which took them a few more days to get replacement. Next, I was having problem with car losing power when driving over a long distance or for a few hours. There is no error message on the dashboard nor that can the dealer replicate the problem. Anyway, I started documenting them on video using my phone. They finally acknowledged the problem but still no solution for it. Along with the car losing power, I was getting error with PRE-SAFE Inoperative error and Ad-Blue low level warning after roughly 3000 miles. Dealer was able to rectify problem with PRE-SAFE error and Ad-Blue, but they can never fix the problem with car losing power. After roughly 5000 miles, I have to bring the car back in again for losing power, but this time it came with squeaking noise in the interior as if something is loose. It took dealer a week to finally fix the problem with squeaking noise and broke the front windshield in the process which they replaced. Anyway, problem with losing power on long trip becomes more severe as the summer progresses. I got stranded and had to shut the car down for 30 - 45 minutes to let it reset before continue driving. I was stranded on Grapevine while driving back from San Francisco to Los Angeles. The car could barely pull itself up the hill, and freeway 5 was under construction without much service lane that I can pull out. I got lucky and got to pull out before big rig slam into my back. It will sporadically loose power on surface street too which almost landed me into a head on collision while trying to make left turn across oncoming traffic because it will not move forward. I took it back into the dealer again, and they could not replicate and cannot fix the problem. Plus, they ding my car this time. I am glad that I was thorough before driving it off the service department. They agree to fix the ding for me because it was their fault. Anyway, I have reported all these problems to Mercedes USA with all the pictures and videos that I documented, but they did not review it and did not take it seriously. Currently, my car has roughly 7800 miles, and I might have to work with an attorney to get their attention.

Other issues that I have with the cars are as the following:
- Keyless doesn’t work sometime: I had to walk around the car twice for it to unlock for me.
- Loud “whoosh” noise from the back of the car when park after driving in hot weather.
- Transmission shifting delay sometime which is probably associated with car losing power?
- Memory card reader not reading card: It is so unreliable like the rest of the car.
- Unreliable lane tracking feature: May be firmware update can fix that but they haven't apply that to my truck.
- Slight squeaking noise in the interior: I believe that poor build quality is the main contribution.
- Faulty real time traffic information: It will show me that there are bad traffic (red) or no traffic just to see the complete opposite in person. I took pictures of that to proof that it was showing tons of traffic while there is nothing there on the road.
I seriously am trying to love the brand, but I do not know if I can tolerate any much longer.

By the way, there is a recalled for "All-Season Floor Mats for 2012-'13 Mercedes-Benz ML-Class SUVs ". I would like everyone reading my post to be aware of this safety concern and get all-season floor mats replaced. I bought all-season floor mats option for my truck, and I will have dealer replaced it when they have the replacement in stock.

http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-b...-recalled.html

Below are videos I captured. I have many more videos, but they are just the repetitive of what these 3 videos are presenting. I was cursing in the first video, so I swapped it out with a friendly melody:

Timeline of my case

10/2/2012
I dropped off my car at the Downtown LA Mercedes to have them repair problem with car losing power that happened when I was driving back from San Francisco on 10/1/2012. I was also having this problem on 9/27/2012 and 9/28/2012 which I called my service manager on 9/28/2012 to make service appointment.

10/3/2012
I contacted MBUSA regarding problems with my truck. I requested them to review all the repairs done to my car at Downtown LA Mercedes. I put together pictures and videos that I documented when I was experiencing problems and emailed to mbusa_cac@mbusa.com. My case was handed over to case manager, Rarsh.

10/4/2012
Downtown LA Mercedes told me that their technician drove my car for 10 miles and could not duplicate the problem, and I have to take back the car. I called MBUSA to follow up on my case because the car isn't safe to drive. They contacted my dealer and called me back saying that there is nothing they can do, and I have to go pick up my car that wasn't repaired.

After picking up the car, I called Rarsh to explain how serious the problem is. I told him that I was on the verge of having serious accident due to this problem. Rarsh finally agreed and passed my case on to Simon, customer retention manager.

10/9/2012
I called MBUSA again to follow up on my case since Rarsh gave it to Simon. There is no update on my case. Customer service rep walked over to Simon's office, but he could not find him. He helped transferred me to Simon's voicemail which he never calls back.

I called back again many hours later, and customer service rep told me that this case can take a long time. He said that I should wait and call back on Friday instead of trying to find Simon everyday. Apparently, he knows that I will never get a hold of Simon until he wants to reach me.

10/12/2012
I called MBUSA again to follow up on my case, and once again there is nothing. However, I was told that Simon is in conversation with field manager which I have no idea what that means.

10/18/2012
I called MBUSA to follow up, but there is no update on my case. The response I received from customer service was the same which is case manager, Simon, will contact me when there is any update on my case.

As of 10/17/2012, my truck was losing power again on 605 Freeway. The weather was pretty hot, in mid 90s, and the engine fan was running hard when truck lost power. Anyway, it came back after a short moment, and I was able to continue on my journey. I was thinking about pulling over to let it rest, but I didn't do that. The traffic was extremely heavy, so I figured that if there were to be any accident due to this lousy truck, then it wouldn't be life threatening. That may help get some attention from MBUSA.

10/19/2012
I called MBUSA again to follow up, but Simon is not available again as usual. Customer rep told me that he is out sick today. I am wondering if his Mercedes broke down and left him stranded somewhere like it did to me. Anyway, I left him another voicemail. Let's see if this oldest car company will continue to dodge my calls and ignore me.

Anyone reading my post and still think Mercedes is a good brand, you gotta ask yourself if you are biasing. Whatever I posted here are really what I truthfully experienced, and I was not juicing it up. You might not have any problem with your car yet, but if you do they will ignore you and leave you alone in the dark. Mercedes is probably wishing that I will be killed in its lousy product, so I can shut the hell up. May be that is their game. If I am killed in their lousy car, then they don't have to deal with me any more.

10/22/2012
I was going to file complaint on http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint today after work, but I received a call from MBUSA at roughly 4:00 pm today. I did not have time to pick it up, but the voice mail was from Rarsh, the original case manager. He said that MBUSA will buy back the car and official letter from MB should be arriving in 5 business days. I will try to call Rarsh back tomorrow to get more information on the process. I just want to know if I have to start riding my bicycle to work while waiting for the replacement.

Thank you all for reading my posts!

10/23/2012
Company calls ISG contacted me asking for a copy of vehicle registration and purchase contract. They said that they work with Mercedes in the buy back process. The process can take up to 30 days, and that's when I have to return the car. They will deduct the buy back value base on mileage up until first visit to the dealer for repair. I am not sure if they will purchase back the accessories such as cargo tray and all-season floor mat that I bought separately from the dealer or not. My all-season floor mat is brand new and still in original plastic. Also, there is a check list for vehicle buy back. Basically, it states that the car must be in good condition with all keys. If there is damange, it must be repaired before returning. I will update the post in case anyone else has to go through the same process. At least, it helps with anxiety.

11/5/2012
ISG contacted me and made me an offer. The offer deducts the mileage used up until 1st visit for the unresolved issue that qualified it as a lemon. I requested that they also purchase back Mercedes all-weather floor mat which has recall on and Mercedes trunk tray which they turned around a few hours later and accepted my request. I agreed on the offer, and ISG is now in the process of contacting field manager which should contact me and schedule a time for me to return the vehicle in about a week.

11/9/2012
Field buy-back agent contacted me today about returning the vehicle. I made appointment to meet him at Downtown LA Motor Mercedes next week on Wednesday morning. He reminded me to bring over 2 keys and all accessories, manuals, etc that came with the car. It should be a simple process on Wednesday morning beside hitching a ride back home since dealer is about 13 miles away from my home. They do not shuttle over 10 miles. Something to think about when purchasing next vehicle.

11/21/2012
I met up with field buy-back agent, and the car was inspected. I handed back 2 keys, all-season floor mat, trunk tray, and rear seat entertainment accessories. A check was made to me, and the dealership shuttled me back home after I signed all the release forms. It was simple and fair, and I appreciate Mercedes for doing the right thing. I will probably return to Mercedes and get myself a 2013 GL 350 Bluetec in the near future. As for now, I will just rest and enjoy the holidays. I hope that I will not run into so many problem again on my next Mercedes SUV. The whole process took roughly 1.5 months long with a bit of screaming and yelling in the beginning.
Attached Thumbnails So many problems with my 2012 ML350 Bluetec-img_0663.jpg   So many problems with my 2012 ML350 Bluetec-img_1894.jpg   So many problems with my 2012 ML350 Bluetec-img_1981.jpg   So many problems with my 2012 ML350 Bluetec-img_1861.jpg   So many problems with my 2012 ML350 Bluetec-20121004-pickup-ml350-dirty-dings-015.jpg  

Last edited by neversummer78; 11-21-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
That does not sound good.. if the dealer is not able to fix this then perhaps raising this with MB head office themselves. This might put a different emphasis on the issue resolution. I thought in the US, you were able to utilise the Lemon law to reject a car. I would raise this with the MB Head office/Customer Relations first.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:18 AM

2013 ML550
OMG, that's a serious problem that puts you and your family in danger. Your attorney should be familiar with the Lemon Law if you live in the US. I can't believe your dealer is not bringing this case to MBUSA. Good luck with everything and be safe when driving this car.

Isn't their motto "the best or nothing?"
Old 10-06-2012, 12:57 PM

2009 C63 AMG, 2013 ML350 BlueTec, 2012 VW GLI
Originally Posted by neversummer78
I purchased my 2012 ML350 Bluetec back in November 2011. After 2 weeks, the first problem I have was it was pulling to the right at highway speed. After left it with the dealer for about a week, they finally realized that it was bad tire which took them a few more days to get replacement. Next, I was having problem with car losing power when driving over a long distance or for a few hours. There is no error message on the dashboard nor that can the dealer replicate the problem. Anyway, I started documenting them on video using my phone. They finally acknowledged the problem but still no solution for it. Along with the car losing power, I was getting error with PRE-SAFE Inoperative error and Ad-Blue low level warning after roughly 3000 miles. Dealer was able to rectify problem with PRE-SAFE error and Ad-Blue, but they can never fix the problem with car losing power. After roughly 5000 miles, I have to bring the car back in again for losing power, but this time it came with squeaking noise in the interior as if something is loose. It took dealer a week to finally fix the problem with squeaking noise and broke the front windshield in the process which they replaced. Anyway, problem with losing power on long trip becomes more severe as the summer progresses. I got stranded and had to shut the car down for 30 - 45 minutes to let it reset before continue driving. I was stranded on Grapevine while driving back from San Francisco to Los Angeles. The car could barely pull itself up the hill, and freeway 5 was under construction without much service lane that I can pull out. I got lucky and got to pull out before big rig slam into my back. It will sporadically loose power on surface street too which almost landed me into a head on collision while trying to make left turn across oncoming traffic because it will not move forward. I took it back into the dealer again, and they could not replicate and cannot fix the problem. Plus, they ding my car this time. I am glad that I was thorough before driving it off the service department. They agree to fix the ding for me because it was their fault. Anyway, I have reported all these problems to Mercedes USA with all the pictures and videos that I documented, but they did not review it and did not take it seriously. Currently, my car has roughly 7800 miles, and I might have to work with an attorney to get their attention.

- Keyless doesn’t work sometime: I had to walk around the car twice for it to unlock for me.
- Loud “whoosh” noise from the back of the car when park after driving in hot weather.
- Transmission shifting delay sometime which is probably associated with car losing power?
- Memory card reader not reading card: It is so unreliable like the rest of the car.
- Unreliable lane tracking feature: May be firmware update can fix that but they haven't apply that to my truck.
- Slight squeaking noise in the interior: I believe that poor build quality is the main contribution.
- Faulty real time traffic information: It will show me that there are bad traffic (red) or no traffic just to see the complete opposite in person. I took pictures of that to proof that it was showing tons of traffic while there is nothing there on the road.
I seriously am trying to love the brand, but I do not know if I can tolerate any much longer.

Check the turbo, may be a problem with it or the wiring to it.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Morro
Check the turbo, may be a problem with it or the wiring to it.
I agree that it could be turbo because engine is still spinning but no power. However, because it is under warranty, so I better leave that to qualified technicians at the dealer. May be they lack qualified technician, so it has never been fixed until now.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:33 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT

I would be livid. I expect problems as that is how the auto industry works these days. But your experience is beyond anything that is tolerable. And the safety risk are unacceptable.

Do this, go to Wordpress and create a free website. Post videos, do a good job of writing up every problem (use more paragraphs), post photos, and keep writing.. About the car, the poor dealer experiences, the shaft that they're giving you, etc. update it frequently. Keep updating on MB forums like, you did here.

Create Facebook, twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn accounts (title each account something like '2012 Mercedes ML350 Bluetec Lemon') and post photos and experiences there.. Link all of these sites together by referring each other. send letter and emails to every MB executive that you can dig up and reference these websites.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't that bad given the magnitude of the issue. It seems ridiculous that you have to do so much but that's life and at least you have these tools to help get you heard. 20 years ago the best you can do is tell your neighbor. I'm very confident that this will help move toward a swift resolution, a new car and probably extras for your time and poor MB experience.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by 27T; 10-06-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by GTscrub
OMG, that's a serious problem that puts you and your family in danger. Your attorney should be familiar with the Lemon Law if you live in the US. I can't believe your dealer is not bringing this case to MBUSA. Good luck with everything and be safe when driving this car.

Isn't their motto "the best or nothing?"
Thank you for kind wishes, I am minimizing the use of this truck now. I really hope that I do not have to go through an attorney to get this resolve. MBUSA is aware of my problem, but they are just dragging on. They were insisting on fixing the car after all the visits I made to the dealer which they ultimately cannot. I gave them ample opportunity to right this wrong, but eventually I run out of patience. I love the car, but I just hate all the problems that came with it. If I have a chance to do it all over again. I will still buy the same car, but if an attorney is involved then I might have to leave the brand all together.

The best or nothing slogan is very catchy, and I really hope they stand by their slogan and products.

Thank you!!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 27trout
I would be livid. I expect problems as that is how the auto industry works these days. But your experience is beyond anything that is tolerable. And the safety risk are unacceptable.

Do this, go to Wordpress and create a free website. Post videos, do a good job of writing up every problem (use more paragraphs), post photos, and keep writing.. About the car, the poor dealer experiences, the shaft that they're giving you, etc. update it frequently. Keep updating on MB forums like, you did here.

Create Facebook, twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn accounts (title each account something like '2012 Mercedes ML350 Bluetec Lemon') and post photos and experiences there.. Link all of these sites together by referring each other. send letter and emails to every MB executive that you can dig up and reference these websites.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't that bad given the magnitude of the issue. It seems ridiculous that you have to do so much but that's life and at least you have these tools to help get you heard. 20 years ago the best you can do is tell your neighbor. I'm very confident that this will help move toward a swift resolution, a new car and probably extras for your time and poor MB experience.

Keep us posted.
Thank you very much for your advice, I will start working on putting videos and photos together and put it on Wordpress. I have posted my complain on MBUSA facebook and all I got was phone number to contact them which I already did. You are right about all the available tools nowadays, and I should take advantage of everything available.

When I picked up the car, I was planning to keep it for 8 - 10 years. I got Cilajet wax from the dealer, clear bra, and other options that I can see that I will be using while owning the car. I even got road hazard warranty for all the tires. It is very upsetting because I will no longer trust it to take me to places that I wanted to go with it. It is like dating a girl who I thought she is the one, but everything falls apart in less than a year with a bitter breakup.

I hope that what I am going through is just a fluke, and all other trucks are just fine. I would give MB another chance with the same model if they will do the right thing promptly. My family has W124 from 1995 in the garage, and it is still running fine with proper maintenance. I was wishing that my truck would be the same way when I decided to invest in it.

Thanks again, I will be vocal about this.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by rexgold
That does not sound good.. if the dealer is not able to fix this then perhaps raising this with MB head office themselves. This might put a different emphasis on the issue resolution. I thought in the US, you were able to utilise the Lemon law to reject a car. I would raise this with the MB Head office/Customer Relations first.
They have contacted MBUSA many times since I showed them the video, but MBUSA never has any real solution for it. Back in May, they decided to replace ignition switch which I have no idea how it contributes to this problem. Apparently, that did not fix the problem because it still gives the same headache.

Lemon law is my last avenue to get myself out of this mess. I hope that I do not have to use an attorney because I do not want any more bad taste from this issue. I like Mercedes as a brand, and I would like to be that way. With an attorney getting involve, I might not return to this brand again.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
It has been my experience that MB will not fix a thing without a fault code. No code, no fix. It is so bad that you can take a car in with 4 flat tires and if the computer shows they are not flat they will no fix it. Diagnosing problems is now left up to the computer. Seems the computer between their ears is useless.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by katiesdad7
It has been my experience that MB will not fix a thing without a fault code. No code, no fix. It is so bad that you can take a car in with 4 flat tires and if the computer shows they are not flat they will no fix it. Diagnosing problems is now left up to the computer. Seems the computer between their ears is useless.
That is so true. When I dropped off the truck last week, they had mechanic drove it for 10 miles and will not do any further diagnostic. They said that there is nothing they can do because there is no error code they can refer to. They insisted that the car is fine. My level of frustration just went through the roof after I heard that.

At this point, I do not care if they have solutions to fix it because I believe that I have tolerated enough that the truck deserved to be replaced with completely brand new warranty. At least, I cannot trust this truck for the next 4 - 5 years to come with all the problems that I have experienced so far.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:33 PM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Thank you for kind wishes, I am minimizing the use of this truck now. I really hope that I do not have to go through an attorney to get this resolve. MBUSA is aware of my problem, but they are just dragging on. They were insisting on fixing the car after all the visits I made to the dealer which they ultimately cannot. I gave them ample opportunity to right this wrong, but eventually I run out of patience. I love the car, but I just hate all the problems that came with it. If I have a chance to do it all over again. I will still buy the same car, but if an attorney is involved then I might have to leave the brand all together.

The best or nothing slogan is very catchy, and I really hope they stand by their slogan and products.

Thank you!!
MBUSI are the ones to talk with they built it.

MBUSA is only a dollar store selling product.

Sorry this purchace has sucked for you.
My thought is the electronic throttle control sstem is the problem.
Just an idea
Old 10-08-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by dougiebear
MBUSI are the ones to talk with they built it.

MBUSA is only a dollar store selling product.

Sorry this purchace has sucked for you.
My thought is the electronic throttle control sstem is the problem.
Just an idea
Thank you for the insight, I will go ahead and contact MBUSI. This purchase is truly a nightmare. I start to miss my old 97 Toyota Camry back in my college years.

I was wondering about throttle controller too, but the odd thing is that I have no control over transmission at all. I click the paddle shifter and the dashboard did not show different gear nor the transmission was shifting at all. It usually does show that you are shifting different gear number regardless of it obeying you or not. I have a feeling that the ECU is whacked whenever it gets out hot which is again odd because car should be able to withstand 90 - 100 F day without problem at least my previous truck did for 5 summers.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Take the vehicle to another dealer. Some dealers have better experienced mechanics than others.

Airmatic suspension sometimes makes a woosh sound after you shut down. Do you have that option?

The memory cards require a basic card. Most cards sold now are too "fancy" You are probably using a SDHC card. Try a basic 512MB SD and see if that works. That's what I had to use with my wifes's GLK.

Ignition switch is the "master" communicator for these vehicles, and after replacement or with weird electrical issues, the vehicle needs what I believe is called a "SCN recode?" From what was explained to me, that is basically equivalent to re installing the operating system on your computer. Usually fixes a lot of things, possibly including what you described. Note, it has to be done correctly, so the technician must know what they are doing.

Again, seems like a trip to another dealer is in order.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Take the vehicle to another dealer. Some dealers have better experienced mechanics than others.

Airmatic suspension sometimes makes a woosh sound after you shut down. Do you have that option?

The memory cards require a basic card. Most cards sold now are too "fancy" You are probably using a SDHC card. Try a basic 512MB SD and see if that works. That's what I had to use with my wifes's GLK.

Ignition switch is the "master" communicator for these vehicles, and after replacement or with weird electrical issues, the vehicle needs what I believe is called a "SCN recode?" From what was explained to me, that is basically equivalent to re installing the operating system on your computer. Usually fixes a lot of things, possibly including what you described. Note, it has to be done correctly, so the technician must know what they are doing.

Again, seems like a trip to another dealer is in order.
The reason why I have to use this dealer because I need a loaner. Other dealer will not offer loaner because I did not buy it from them. I would have gone to another dealer without that restriction.

I do not have Airmatic option. The noise could just be me crying and blowing my nose randomly over the truck....

Thanks for SD card recommendation, the card I am using is definitely SDHC.

They had the car for about 10 days and drove about 40 miles for that ignition switch replacement trip. I am not sure if they did everything right, but I know that the problem did not go away.

I visited the dealer this morning for ding repair that they promised to fix but that's it. Aside from that, I called MBUSA and there isn't any update on my case yet. The attorney I contacted called me this evening, and we will go over details tomorrow. He reviewed all the documents, videos, and photos I sent, and he said that I have a strong case. I think my next visit to the dealer would be to get my refund either through this attorney or by MBUSA voluntarily.

I wish I have posted this problem on mbworld.org forum sooner. I might be able to present this recommendation to service advisor, so they can properly remedy the issue. Apparently, they have no idea what they are doing. I remember all the names and faces at the loaner counter now because I see them almost monthly. It is not something I am proud of.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 AM

Mercedes Evo II
I am really sorry to hear all these problems... For sure not acceptable at all from MB

I am not a lawyer but shouldn't they give you another ML since yours is clearly showing a major default? Or worst case a refund?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by EVOII_Racer
I am really sorry to hear all these problems... For sure not acceptable at all from MB

I am not a lawyer but shouldn't they give you another ML since yours is clearly showing a major default? Or worst case a refund?
I contacted MBUSA yesterday, and customer service has no update on my case. There is a case manager, but he cannot be reached.

I finally get to speak to an attorney yesterday, and he would like to handle the case. However, I will give MBUSA a little more time before getting this attorney to handle the case because it will just cost MBUSA and myself more money to ultimately get the same goal. Basically, I will have to pay $2000 if I win the case, and MBUSA will be responsible for everything else beyond that $2000. I do not have to pay anything if I lose the case. The only advantage is that this will financially pressure MBUSA to react sooner because it will cost them more on their own attorney fees and even more if they lose the case. Either way, I already lost the case base on time and headache I spent on the truck. With an attorney, I lose another $2000.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 PM

2013 ML-63 AMG- 2010 C350 4matic
I contacted MBUSA yesterday, and customer service has no update on my case. There is a case manager, but he cannot be reached.

I finally get to speak to an attorney yesterday, and he would like to handle the case. However, I will give MBUSA a little more time before getting this attorney to handle the case because it will just cost MBUSA and myself more money to ultimately get the same goal. Basically, I will have to pay $2000 if I win the case, and MBUSA will be responsible for everything else beyond that $2000. I do not have to pay anything if I lose the case. The only advantage is that this will financially pressure MBUSA to react sooner because it will cost them more on their own attorney fees and even more if they lose the case. Either way, I already lost the case base on time and headache I spent on the truck. With an attorney, I lose another $2000.
Neversummer78: If you push hard enough you will get satisfaction. I have a neighbor who enjoyed his 2012 ML-63 for a total of 200 km only before his engine blew up. MB offered to replace it with a new AMG engine. He refused and insisted through his lawyers for a totally new car otherwise it will be a major media fiasco. MB replaced it with a 2013 ML-63. During the 4 months wait for the new car to arrive he enjoyed a 2012 SL-63 AMG as MB courtesy car. I have no details about on engine problem because he signed a non disclosure agreement.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by jean7of9
Neversummer78: If you push hard enough you will get satisfaction. I have a neighbor who enjoyed his 2012 ML-63 for a total of 200 km only before his engine blew up. MB offered to replace it with a new AMG engine. He refused and insisted through his lawyers for a totally new car otherwise it will be a major media fiasco. MB replaced it with a 2013 ML-63. During the 4 months wait for the new car to arrive he enjoyed a 2012 SL-63 AMG as MB courtesy car. I have no details about on engine problem because he signed a non disclosure agreement.
Thank you for your encouragement, having a blown AMG engine would be even more depressing. I think they might have taken it a bit more seriously for AMG customer. The regular ML is everywhere especially right by kindergarten. I think Mercedes gotta slow down the production and emphasize more on quality.

Over the phone, I told case manager last week that I would pursue any attention I can get, so that I will be treated fairly on this matter. I called him a few times, and I was as demanding as I could. He finally caved in and escalated my case to customer retention manager, but I have no update yet since my case switched hand.

I think I am just very anxious to know what they are willing to do for me. I had my X5 for roughly 5 years with 100k miles on odometer when I traded it in last year. It didn't give me much problem, and dealer always give me comparable loaner when I drop it off for service such as 5 series or Z4. Granted that X5 I had was a normally aspirated engine without complication of turbo which could be a contributing factor to this poor reliability. At Mercedes dealer, they always loan me C250 or a Camaro when I drop this truck off for service which is extremely frequent. Once they offered me a Corolla which is a good car but I expected a little nicer car when dropping off a practically new ML.

Come to think about it, if this matter drags on much longer, I might walk away from the brand. I have a feeling that factory in AL has poor quality control and poor craftsmanship, and my next ML would probably be just as bad with my luck these days. I did some research and there are other current generation ML owners experiencing tons of problems with their trucks.

Best or nothing could end up with nothing from this brand for me...
Old 10-11-2012, 09:05 PM

His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Your frustration is understandable. MB should do better. The 2012 has had some members reporting issues, but usually it is hesitation and bucking when cold. You may just have a fluke issue that has been compounded by some tech working on it that may not be as experienced as another tech.
Another avenue you can try is NHTSA to file a complaint. See if your lawyer agrees.
Here is the website.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Your frustration is understandable. MB should do better. The 2012 has had some members reporting issues, but usually it is hesitation and bucking when cold. You may just have a fluke issue that has been compounded by some tech working on it that may not be as experienced as another tech.
Another avenue you can try is NHTSA to file a complaint. See if your lawyer agrees.
Here is the website.
I certainly hope that mine was a fluke. I really like the ride of this truck over long distance than my X5. It is the right car for commuting plus great gas mileage from the diesel engine. I would return if they do the right thing in a timely manner.

Thank you for the information on NHTSA, I will definitely look into that if there is no updates by tomorrow from customer retention manager.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 AM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
FWIW, I also have issues with my ML. After having gotten nowhere with MB I contacted an attorney. Sadly I feel you many need to go the same route. MB is great at telling you what you want to hear but not delivering. Sort of reminds me of the debate last night. :-)
Old 10-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by katiesdad7
FWIW, I also have issues with my ML. After having gotten nowhere with MB I contacted an attorney. Sadly I feel you many need to go the same route. MB is great at telling you what you want to hear but not delivering. Sort of reminds me of the debate last night. :-)
LOL, you are right and I notice that the first case manager was great at listening and pretending to comply to my demands. I understand that it is a lot of money to buy back, but we paid a lot of money for their products for that extra peace of mind which is not the case here. I wonder what happen to that old Mercedes great quality products. They have to seriously start looking into that especially for higher end models. I can understand if they want to short change on C class and the upcoming A class.

There is another person posted review on CNET with problems on his 2012 ML Bluetec. But, he updated that his truck was later bought back by Mercedes and they built him a new one. I posted my complain on CNET too, but CNET review isn't very active.

http://reviews.cnet.com/suv/2012-mer...-35089444.html

I wonder how Audi quality is coming along. They start churning some compelling products lately.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 PM

2013 ML350BTC
Neversummer, have you been able to deliver it to the dealership in a "loss of power" state? If this problem is predictable enough then take the time to get it to occur and take it to the dealer while the problem is happening. There are a wide range of things that could cause this problem and its impossible to diagnose and correct unless it can be looked at by a qualified diesel mechanic while the problem is occurring -- given that no fault codes are generated.

I don't see MB replacing your vehicle for the other problems you list above. Even for the power-loss if they can't reproduce it. It may save you time in the long run to spend a day driving near enough to a dealership to get it to them in crippled state. Heck, hire a kid you trust to do it. In my mind it could be transmission, valves, fueling, or turbo (especially if its wastegate controlled). I'm guessing its not something as simple as a sensor or software problem -- otherwise there would be a fault code.

Sorry to hear about yours and Katiesdad's problems. I was in your situation with a brand new 1980 Chevy Citation, which some call GM's deadliest sin. I spent so much time working with the dealer to get the new car problems fixed (and getting them to pay for it) that I could have built the car myself. Good luck; keep posting.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by AZHiker
Neversummer, have you been able to deliver it to the dealership in a "loss of power" state? If this problem is predictable enough then take the time to get it to occur and take it to the dealer while the problem is happening. There are a wide range of things that could cause this problem and its impossible to diagnose and correct unless it can be looked at by a qualified diesel mechanic while the problem is occurring -- given that no fault codes are generated.

I don't see MB replacing your vehicle for the other problems you list above. Even for the power-loss if they can't reproduce it. It may save you time in the long run to spend a day driving near enough to a dealership to get it to them in crippled state. Heck, hire a kid you trust to do it. In my mind it could be transmission, valves, fueling, or turbo (especially if its wastegate controlled). I'm guessing its not something as simple as a sensor or software problem -- otherwise there would be a fault code.

Sorry to hear about yours and Katiesdad's problems. I was in your situation with a brand new 1980 Chevy Citation, which some call GM's deadliest sin. I spent so much time working with the dealer to get the new car problems fixed (and getting them to pay for it) that I could have built the car myself. Good luck; keep posting.
Nope, never have that chance because it is unpredictable. Therefore, I decided to film it since there is no error message on the dashboard, and I understand that dealer cannot take my words seriously without proof. They seem excited when I show them the video and did spent a decent amount of time but that didn't do much to remedy the issue.

The way I see it is that even you bring it in at that state, they might not be able to do anything still because they rely solely on error code. Like what katiesdad7 mentioned that you can bring it in with 4 flat tires, and they wouldn't do much because there is no error code. I believe that I have done enough.

Thank you, I truly need a lot of luck to get some fairness out of this mess. My attorney was calling me today with enthusiasm to take on the case. I am not sure which route I should take yet, but I know that there is no update from MBUSA after I called in this morning. I left voice mail for customer retention manager name Simon 6 hours ago which I have not heard back yet. I will follow dgiturbo's suggestion on filing complaints to NHTSA later today, and I will wait until Monday to see if there is any news on my case. The customer representative that I spoke to mentioned that this type of case can take months. If it is true, then I think I will have an attorney join this waiting game with me and cost MBUSA some extra dough.

The worst part is probably the dealership. They ding my car which they fixed and gave a poor car wash every time I dropped the truck off for service. I have to clean the windshield myself after I pick it up. Once, there was a foot print on the glove box on the passenger side of the car. I complained about that foot print when I brought it back in to have them work on the interior squeaking noise again which they thoroughly wash it after the complaint I made. The funny thing is that the squeaking noise came from roof liner according to the service manager. He said that they had to reinforce materials under the roof liner to get that to go away. The noise sounds like something was moving when the car is in motion as if the door was not tight. Anyway, I have reason to believe that Mercedes was stretching on materials, and that noise was the result.

Another point I want to make about Mercedes product is that their Command is a bit dated comparing to BMW iDrive or Audi MMI. Other brands offer optional surround camera, but Mercedes can only offer it on new GL model. I was reading posts on new CLS model and its backup camera doesn't even have guided line when reverse. If Mercedes insists on "Best or Nothing" slogan, then they clearly are standing by it because they offer nothing when comparing to the other 2 German brands. The longer this case keeps on dragging, the more I dislike the brand.

I jumped on this ML because of what I heard and how that old Mercedes in my parents' garage runs after 17 years. I guess they figured out that why make something that last when they can just make something that look nice and give it an expiration date, so they can get new business every so often. Apparently, my truck's expiration date is a lot sooner than others.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: So many problems with my 2012 ML350 Bluetec