M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Passing over a Great Lease Deal on a 2012 ML

Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 535, Corvette, Impala SS
Passing over a Great Lease Deal on a 2012 ML

I negotiated a Lease deal for very close to invoice with a leasing company in NYC.

They have a couple of BlueTecs One Palladium Silver on Black and some Black on black and White cars.

Example of my lease deal:

MSRP $56,195.00

Monthly Payment $596 24 months, 12,000 miles/year no money down + tax. $649/month with NYC tax and no money down.

$574/month with 10K + tax

I decided to go with a different vehicle altogether.

If anyone is interested in taking over this deal, PM me for contact.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:09 PM

2012 Blk/Blk ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by z51vette
I negotiated a Lease deal for very close to invoice with a leasing company in NYC.

They have a couple of BlueTecs One Palladium Silver on Black and some Black on black and White cars.

Example of my lease deal:

MSRP $56,195.00

Monthly Payment $596 24 months, 12,000 miles/year no money down + tax. $649/month with NYC tax and no money down.

$574/month with 10K + tax

I decided to go with a different vehicle altogether.

If anyone is interested in taking over this deal, PM me for contact.
Sounds like a decent deal, what car did you go with?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scott5000
Sounds like a decent deal, what car did you go with?

X5D
Old 01-11-2012, 04:45 AM

ML350
X5D
Enjoy the X5 ! Curious what made you decide. Besides slightly better price for same features on a buy and far superior steering handling....

Just came out of back to back gas ones and needed a change so got the ML. Nice change but will likely go back to BMW next round, if they improve interior.
The ML has an awesome interior and ergonomics. Can't go wrong on either car.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 AM

2012 ML350 4MATIC (GAS)
It was a toss up between the X5 and ML for me. The lease pricing I received wasn't even close. It was a difference between $100 - $150/mo when you add the features. That's because residuals are way lower on the X5. To me the interior and iDrive was lacking. Didn't get the luxury feel for a $60k vehicle. Love the handling though.

Good luck
Old 01-11-2012, 11:30 AM

335i
Originally Posted by ML12NYC
It was a toss up between the X5 and ML for me. To me the interior and iDrive was lacking. Didn't get the luxury feel for a $60k vehicle. Love the handling though.
Ditto for me too. I have an 08 3-Series and sitting in the X5 felt and looked just like I was in my car. I love the body style, but I know if I bought one it would signal BMW to release a new style the next day .
Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 AM

2012 ML350 4MATIC (GAS)
BMW sales rep told me that the next gen X5 will probably come out in 2 years. We will see....
Old 01-11-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bluerum
Enjoy the X5 ! Curious what made you decide. Besides slightly better price for same features on a buy and far superior steering handling....

Just came out of back to back gas ones and needed a change so got the ML. Nice change but will likely go back to BMW next round, if they improve interior.
The ML has an awesome interior and ergonomics. Can't go wrong on either car.

Test drove both cars Diesel ML and the X5D.

I knew this wasn't going to be easy. I'm shocked at the difference. The steering is so loose in the ML. The response time from the drive train seemed to take eons. It's all over the road. The X5 has so much more punch, so much better in tune with the road. Where is the supposed extra torque of the Benz? The steering feel of the X5 is sport car like. The drive train response is lighting quick. The ergonomic issues in the ML are a disaster. Why do they put the seat adjustment buttons on the door. You have to raise your arm and get your body out of position at an awkward angle and by the time you think you have it adjusted you put your arm back in place and now you have to readjust. The command interface, graphics are a disaster. And finally the shifter on the steering wheel is retarded. Especially combined with the pure gimmick paddle shifters.

I don't think I can live with this car. Too bad now I have an extra inquiry on my credit report. I took the car sight unseen based on a very short previous test drive. Now that I got to drive the X5 and the ML 20 minutes Later, I can't go back. I had to turn down the deal.

The BMW dealer kept getting scared every time I floored it. The Benz Dealer was like, are you really flooring it? I'm like yessss!

love how the X5 sounds at low revs under load. Gimme a diesel!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ML12NYC
To me the interior and iDrive was lacking. Didn't get the luxury feel for a $60k vehicle. Love the handling though.

Good luck

Couldn't disagree more on the interior. To me getting into an ML after the X5 is a downgrade. The X5 interior is so much better laid out. The look is much cleaner, more airy. Modern Scandinavian minimalism. The ML is definitely geared towards a typical American buyer. Has an art decoish glitzy look to it. To me that reeks.

Originally Posted by Bluerum
Nice change but will likely go back to BMW next round, if they improve interior. The ML has an awesome interior and ergonomics. Can't go wrong on either car.

What do you dislike about the X5 interior? What would you improve?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,166 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Couldn't disagree more on the interior. To me getting into an ML after the X5 is a downgrade. The X5 interior is so much better laid out. The look is much cleaner, more airy. Modern Scandinavian minimalism. The ML is definitely geared towards a typical American buyer. Has an art decoish glitzy look to it. To me that reeks.

What do you dislike about the X5 interior? What would you improve?
I agree that the X5 interior is fine, if lacking some of the details like topstitching and so on that the ML has. I think you have to be careful specifying the ML to avoid overwrought "luxury". Plastic coated wood doesn't do much for me.

X5:
Attached Thumbnails Passing over a Great Lease Deal on a 2012 ML-x5-interior.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I agree that the X5 interior is fine, if lacking some of the details like topstitching and so on that the ML has. I think you have to be careful specifying the ML to avoid overwrought "luxury". Plastic coated wood doesn't do much for me.

X5:
That's a standard interior shot there. I'm not crazy about it. It's totally different with the Sport Pac. The seats, the steering wheel, the headliner, Bamboo wood and you can get the Nappa Dash.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Porsche Macan, 2017 NSX, 2011 R350
Agreed on the interior, and especially when it comes to the COMAND vs IDrive and cluster display. The BMW IDrive screen size, color quality, and features are just so far ahead of the MLs it isn't even a fair comparison. It only takes 15 min of playing around with the X5's iDrive to realize this. The navigation options, parking sensors option, radio controls, vehicle features, etc etc. The W166 is much better than the antiquated W164 COMAND and center console display though, so in MB "world", it is an improvement. (The W164 center display is a joke with it's white/black color and "atari" like resolution with visible pixels. At least the W166 is improved a little.)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 PM

Thumbs down

Test drove both cars Diesel ML and the X5D.

I knew this wasn't going to be easy. I'm shocked at the difference. The steering is so loose in the ML. The response time from the drive train seemed to take eons. It's all over the road. The X5 has so much more punch, so much better in tune with the road. Where is the supposed extra torque of the Benz? The steering feel of the X5 is sport car like. The drive train response is lighting quick. The ergonomic issues in the ML are a disaster. Why do they put the seat adjustment buttons on the door. You have to raise your arm and get your body out of position at an awkward angle and by the time you think you have it adjusted you put your arm back in place and now you have to readjust. The command interface, graphics are a disaster. And finally the shifter on the steering wheel is retarded. Especially combined with the pure gimmick paddle shifters.

I don't think I can live with this car. Too bad now I have an extra inquiry on my credit report. I took the car sight unseen based on a very short previous test drive. Now that I got to drive the X5 and the ML 20 minutes Later, I can't go back. I had to turn down the deal.

The BMW dealer kept getting scared every time I floored it. The Benz Dealer was like, are you really flooring it? I'm like yessss!

love how the X5 sounds at low revs under load. Gimme a diesel!
Wow man, I was going to say congrats on the purchase as I cross shopped the X5, but to completely diss the ML like you did is contrary to many respected auto experts and reviews. The BMW is good, but the ML is also just as good and even better, but in different ways. Both have their pros and cons. It's a toss up for many people, but your negatives of the ML's interior are really off-base IMHO along with the opinion of many auto editors who almost always rank the MB interior above the BMW. The ML is more of a comfortable luxury cruiser with sporty characterstics where the BMW is a sporty truck with some luxury characteristics. Many people hate the rough ride and extra road noise you get with the X5 due to its run flat tires and stiffer suspension. I'm one of those. If I want rough and rowdy, then I take my sports car out. If I want quiet and relaxing along with a little sport feel, then it's ML time. Also I prefer the new Command system on the ML vs the I-drive setup. Again, different strokes for different folks, but many reviewers also mentioned they prefer the new Command system over the BMW setup, so I guess my opinion is again in line with most auto experts.

Last edited by Scott5000; 01-12-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Porsche Macan, 2017 NSX, 2011 R350
When it comes to comfort and refinement, I would have to agree with Scott. Even the W164 has a smoother and more comfortable ride than the E70 X5. (Many bimmer owners though would equate that to floaty, non-communicative, disconnected, etc). The ML is without a doubt a more comfortable and quieter cruiser though. It would be my choice for any long trip.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:07 PM

Wow man, I was going to say congrats on the purchase as I cross shopped the X5, but to completely diss the ML like you did is contrary to many respected auto experts and reviews. The BMW is good, but the ML is also just as good and even better, but in different ways. Both have their pros and cons. It's a toss up for many people, but your negatives of the ML's interior are really off-base IMHO along with the opinion of many auto editors who almost always rank the MB interior above the BMW. The ML is more of a comfortable luxury cruiser with sporty characterstics where the BMW is a sporty truck with some luxury characteristics. Many people hate the rough ride and extra road noise you get with the X5 due to its run flat tires and stiffer suspension. I'm one of those. If I want rough and rowdy, then I take my sports car out. If I want quiet and relaxing along with a little sport feel, then it's ML time. Also I prefer the new Command system on the ML vs the I-drive setup. Again, different strokes for different folks, but many reviewers also mentioned they prefer the new Command system over the BMW setup, so I guess my opinion is again in line with most auto experts.
Have you driven the 2012 X5D? That's all I have to say about that.

As far as the dissing the ML and the "Auto Experts" what do I care what they have to say. I'm the biggest auto expert in this field, cause I put my money where my mouth is, and I have to live with it. Honestly, I really wanted to like the ML. I loved it in the showroom. Then, I was a tiny bit underwhelmed on the initial test drive. Mostly by the steering response, but not many gripes. So I ordered one. The price was very attractive and I thought to myself why not, it's only 24 months anyway and this is going to be my beach car (I surf fish) and everyday ride.

That all changed when I brought in my 535 for service and just for kicks thought I'd take a test drive in the X5D. At this point my mind was already set and made up on the ML. After all I have already made a commitment on one. I got in the car and the first thing that struck me, is how well laid out and "organic" everything is. All the controls just fall right in. Did some minor adjustments and off we went. The first thing I noticed is the Typical Diesel Clatter. At low revs under load it is particularly apparent. It's actually kind of cool actually. I do like it. It does go away as the revs climb. I step on the throttle about half way in and the car wails with an immense surge of torque that pins you to the seat. No delay, just immediate response. Took a few corners, the steering is spot on an the car just stays flat. Keep in mind the diesel has the "softer" suspension than the regular X5. Hit some back roads with a railroad crossing and railroad tracks coming up. I'm thinking this thing is just going to crash right over these. I go over them about 20MPH, and I was really surprised now. It soaked them up like it was nothing. No jounce no sway no harsh impact. Just really tight and controlled. I figure the car is properly warmed up by now, so I put the pedal to the floor. The car suddenly explodes with a massive lunge that never let go. I was like holy crap. This thing can really get out of the way for a 5000+ lb car. The sales man was a timid fella, put his arms in the air every time. Dude, are u sure you are selling bimmers ? The best thing about it, the responses are instant, the 6speed is really dialed in. So much as a tiny stab at the pedal and it responds immediately.

I was heartbroken. Thinking to myself, it can't be that bad in the ML. So before I got out of the dealer I used the salesman's computer to find a nearest Benz dealer for a double take. So I get in the ML, an the tiny annoyances are becoming more apparent now. The gear selector, the seat controls, even the key that you have to turn. The command screen controls and graphics seem so unintuitive in comparison. So we get going and I start to push the car bit. The first thing that I notice is how long the delay is before the downshift. A yellow is coming up, and I don't know if I should gun it or brake. I tell the salesman next to me my thoughts. He tells me not to baby it and go for it next time. So we get going again and I put my foot down. Nothing, 1Mississippi, 2Mississippi then the car "takes off" but not in any rush of power sort of way, rather a laid back relaxed sort of casual way. I tell the sales guy, I'm flooring it dude. He is like, it can't be that bad? I slowed down, made a U turn and the steering just kept going, I had to counter steer and catch it. Wow this thing is loose. I gun it one more time, and this time, I guess the car was in "proper gear" and speed that the tranny downshifted three gears down and I finally felt a little diesel shove and the car started picking up momentum. But the shift wasn't that smooth, sort of a clunk almost. I'm thinking, there's gotta be a tradeoff to all this. This car is really comfortable and quiet right? So I find some rough payment and didn't slow down for it. Well, it didn't feel much more comfortable than the X5. In fact, it felt kinds rough on initial impact and a bit jouncy after. Quiet, that it definitely is. You can barely hear the engine or that it is a diesel. The X5 is much more undisguised in this regard. We finally pull into the dealer's lot. And I tell the dealer, I'm sorry I can't live with this car. He apologized and said, "I understand"

This is my take on it....

Last edited by z51vette; 01-12-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:54 PM

2013 Audi A8 Sport
Welp...That sure as hell took the wind out of my sails....

I test drove the X5 and I agree with Z51 in regards to the steering and ride. There is a difference but how much all depends on every persons taste.

However, I have a different opinion on the interior.

The way I optioned my ML, sport seats, antharcite poplar (black) wood, black headliner, leather dash - I, personally, find it to be sportier and more luxurious than the X5.

But the biggest reason I chose the ML over the X5 is because of the performance in the snow/mountains. I think it the ML would be more solid in winter conditions than the X5. Not to mention, I think the ML has more interior and cargo space. I plan on keeping this truck for more than 5 years.

The X5 is a damn fine vehicle - but for the long run, I think we'll stick with the ML.

Last edited by MD Boy; 01-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
I have to say, after noticing that you include a Corvette and an Impala SS as part of your stable, I'm shocked that you wouldn't appreciate a car geared toward a "typical American buyer"!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:17 PM

Have you driven the 2012 X5D? That's all I have to say about that.

As far as the dissing the ML and the "Auto Experts" what do I care what they have to say. I'm the biggest auto expert in this field, cause I put my money where my mouth is, and I have to live with it. Honestly, I really wanted to like the ML. I loved it in the showroom. Then, I was a tiny bit underwhelmed on the initial test drive. Mostly by the steering response, but not many gripes. So I ordered one. The price was very attractive and I thought to myself why not, it's only 24 months anyway and this is going to be my beach car (I surf fish) and everyday ride.

That all changed when I brought in my 535 for service and just for kicks thought I'd take a test drive in the X5D. At this point my mind was already set and made up on the ML. After all I have already made a commitment on one. I got in the car and the first thing that struck me, is how well laid out and "organic" everything is. All the controls just fall right in. Did some minor adjustments and off we went. The first thing I noticed is the Typical Diesel Clatter. At low revs under load it is particularly apparent. It's actually kind of cool actually. I do like it. It does go away as the revs climb. I step on the throttle about half way in and the car wails with an immense surge of torque that pins you to the seat. No delay, just immediate response. Took a few corners, the steering is spot on an the car just stays flat. Keep in mind the diesel has the "softer" suspension than the regular X5. Hit some back roads with a railroad crossing and railroad tracks coming up. I'm thinking this thing is just going to crash right over these. I go over them about 20MPH, and I was really surprised now. It soaked them up like it was nothing. No jounce no sway no harsh impact. Just really tight and controlled. I figure the car is properly warmed up by now, so I put the pedal to the floor. The car suddenly explodes with a massive lunge that never let go. I was like holy crap. This thing can really get out of the way for a 5000+ lb car. The sales man was a timid fella, put his arms in the air every time. Dude, are u sure you are selling bimmers ? The best thing about it, the responses are instant, the 6speed is really dialed in. So much as a tiny stab at the pedal and it responds immediately.

I was heartbroken. Thinking to myself, it can't be that bad in the ML. So before I got out of the dealer I used the salesman's computer to find a nearest Benz dealer for a double take. So I get in the ML, an the tiny annoyances are becoming more apparent now. The gear selector, the seat controls, even the key that you have to turn. The command screen controls and graphics seem so unintuitive in comparison. So we get going and I start to push the car bit. The first thing that I notice is how long the delay is before the downshift. A yellow is coming up, and I don't know if I should gun it or brake. I tell the salesman next to me my thoughts. He tells me not to baby it and go for it next time. So we get going again and I put my foot down. Nothing, 1Mississippi, 2Mississippi then the car "takes off" but not in any rush of power sort of way, rather a laid back relaxed sort of casual way. I tell the sales guy, I'm flooring it dude. He is like, it can't be that bad? I slowed down, made a U turn and the steering just kept going, I had to counter steer and catch it. Wow this thing is loose. I gun it one more time, and this time, I guess the car was in "proper gear" and speed that the tranny downshifted three gears down and I finally felt a little diesel shove and the car started picking up momentum. But the shift wasn't that smooth, sort of a clunk almost. I'm thinking, there's gotta be a tradeoff to all this. This car is really comfortable and quiet right? So I find some rough payment and didn't slow down for it. Well, it didn't feel much more comfortable than the X5. In fact, it felt kinds rough on initial impact and a bit jouncy after. Quiet, that it definitely is. You can barely hear the engine or that it is a diesel. The X5 is much more undisguised in this regard. We finally pull into the dealer's lot. And I tell the dealer, I'm sorry I can't live with this car. He apologized and said, "I understand"

This is my take on it....
Yes, I did drive both the X5d and 35i. The X5 underpinnings are a sedan. The M-class underpinnings are a true on and off-road SUV chassis. They will have different characteristics.

I can see we will agree to disagree. I used to own a 2008 Z-51 Corvette which I thought was one of the biggest POS's I ever owned and summarily got rid of it as quick as I could. Where you seem to like yours, or I assume, based on your screen name.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
I have to say, after noticing that you include a Corvette and an Impala SS as part of your stable, I'm shocked that you wouldn't appreciate a car geared toward a "typical American buyer"!

I've used this handle for the past 15 years on various auto enthusiast forums. As far as the Vette and the Impalas are concerned, those are from my younger years when I used to work on my own cars in the 90s. The Impala SS with the 350 was pretty much the only full size performance sedan in those days and it was really easy work on. I used to have four of them. Swapping transmissions, rear ends, suspensions, modding the engines etc. As far as the Vette. That was my first new car purchase, with the first real money I made. It was an unreal car for a teen. And it was twice as cheap to insure as a mustang, a firebird or an M3. Average age for a Vette owner is around 50 years old, the statistics just worked in my favor.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:51 PM

Yes, I did drive both the X5d and 35i. The X5 underpinnings are a sedan. The M-class underpinnings are a true on and off-road SUV chassis. They will have different characteristics.

They are both unibody construction with similar ground clearance and AWD systems. They are not great for off road where 4WD is King.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by MD Boy

But the biggest reason I chose the ML over the X5 is because of the performance in the snow/mountains. I think it the ML would be more solid in winter conditions than the X5. Not to mention, I think the ML has more interior and cargo space. I plan on keeping this truck for more than 5 years.

The X5 is a damn fine vehicle - but for the long run, I think we'll stick with the ML.
Actually you brought up a great point. I thought the ML might be a bit better off-road than the X5. Since I'm planning on using it a lot on the beach in the sand and some rocky terrain. I was leaning more toward the ML in this regard but couldn't find any meaningfull info about their abilities besides the off-road package for the ML which is not yet available.

What made you think the ML is superior off road? As far as snow is concerned, it's only a matter of tires. I had an X3 years ago and that thing was unstoppable in snow with proper tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hktXkabw2w
Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 AM

2012 ML350 BlueTec; used to drive 2009 R320 BlueTec
I tried both as well and most of my colleagues are all BMW guys, so I was sure that I was going to go X5 with the diesel (there was a lot of peer pressure on this one). But the new ML was definitely the hands down winner. It does feel more truck-like, but is also more the more competent cruiser and the X5 really does feel much more the soft roader. Coming from an R320BT with run flats, I swore I would never get another car that uses them, and I hated that aspect of the X5. The interior is definitely a win for the Benz, though I do think they should have left the seating controls where they were on the side of the seat out of view (on the bright side, my wife can now adjust her seat!). As for the info system, the clear winner is Audi!!! But I just can't pay that much money for a Volkswagen
Old 01-13-2012, 12:18 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjKpj9M5IGY
Old 01-13-2012, 01:40 AM

It should be noted that:

X5 tow rating = 6000 lbs

ML tow rating = 7200 lbs

I think that speaks volumes.

As far as driving the X5 on the beach, I think you should check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=T06QkgA0OwY

Old 01-13-2012, 09:13 PM

'08 IS F; '09 ML 320 Bluetec; '10 X5 35d
Originally Posted by MD Boy
Welp...That sure as hell took the wind out of my sails....

I test drove the X5 and I agree with Z51 in regards to the steering and ride. There is a difference but how much all depends on every persons taste.

However, I have a different opinion on the interior.

The way I optioned my ML, sport seats, antharcite poplar (black) wood, black headliner, leather dash - I, personally, find it to be sportier and more luxurious than the X5.

We looked at a new '12 yesterday and also thought the interior is head and shoulders better than the X5. There is no difference between the two during winter conditions with proper winter tires. The interior space is also essentially identical between the two.

They're both good vehicles that target slightly different buyers. There certainly is no clear cut "winner" between the two.

I can see we will agree to disagree. I used to own a 2008 Z-51 Corvette which I thought was one of the biggest POS's I ever owned and summarily got rid of it as quick as I could. Where you seem to like yours, or I assume, based on your screen name.
The ML feels more like your driving a truck, where the X5 feels more like a big sedan.

Actually you brought up a great point. I thought the ML might be a bit better off-road than the X5. Since I'm planning on using it a lot on the beach in the sand and some rocky terrain. I was leaning more toward the ML in this regard but couldn't find any meaningfull info about their abilities besides the off-road package for the ML which is not yet available.

What made you think the ML is superior off road? As far as snow is concerned, it's only a matter of tires. I had an X3 years ago and that thing was unstoppable in snow with proper tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hktXkabw2w
You're ripping on the ML, while openly acknowledging that you owned one of the worst excuses for a supposed luxury vehicle that the Germans make?

Sounds like a whole bunch of justification in all of your posts. The X5 may be a better fit for your needs, but there's no need to be so hyper critical about many subjective items.

They both have their own strengths and weaknesses. The new gen ML is leaps and bounds better than the old one in pretty much every way. The X5 is definitely sportier, while the ML is more luxurious.

P.S. In regards to the gear shifter on the column...I actually think it's a huge plus and would rather have the X5's there too. It frees up console space and doesn't get in the way when reaching for your coffee or to silence the radar detector.