M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Random Stalling in 2012 ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 ML 350
My wife had the same problem on her new 2012 ml350 with only 800 miles. She tried to start the car in the morning and it sputtered and all lights came on and then stalled. She tried restarting and finally started after several attempts. But get this....her mom noticed that it was making a loud knocking noise when my wife was leaving. We never heard it since were always inside the car when starting... Took it to MB dealership and now MB USA is telling us they are replacing the entire engine..wtf??. We told them that is not fair to us and that a replacement is the right thing to do.. We have a scheduled phone call with them later today to discuss our complaint....Dealership is trying to stay out of it saying they cant do anything...can you say lemon!!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I have just over 1,000 miles on my 2012 ML and I just shudder when I hear these stories. This appears to be a widespread problem and Mercedes should find the cause and solution pronto. If a recall is necessary so be it. Although "replacing the engine" may sound like an ultimate fix, I consider it nothing more than a cop-out.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 AM

2012 GLK350
I had a high pressure fuel pump issue on my 2012 X5 xdrive35i sport but keep in mind that they have a turbo! The dealer said bad gas (typical dealer diagnosis) and replaced the HPFP. There were also a lot of embarrasing stalls in traffic which were annoying at the least. One cop who pulled up behind me at one of the stalls was dumfounded that a brand new car is stalling haha.
I hope they resolve this issue quickly before I order my '13 ml350 and best of luck to you guys!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 GLS500. Previously '14 C250, '13 ML500, '12 C250, '08 ML500, '07 E500 & '03 A160
Thumbs up

Gidday guys, very interesting feed. Also very concerning to me as I have recently ordered a new '12 ML500 (same as a ML550 for you guys) here in Australia. I expect delivery in December '12 sometime. (I don't know why non-AMG V8 Benz's are badged different here, they're all labelled 500s)

Anyway, it's interesting that nobody on this feed has even mentioned the new model ML550. Have they even started delivering those in the USA yet? And if so, has anyone had any issues with stalling on a new ML550?

I have just signed up to this forum so I look forward to being a part of the MBWorld family.

Cheers from Down Under folks!!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:33 PM

2014 ML550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Dino34
My wife had the same problem on her new 2012 ml350 with only 800 miles. She tried to start the car in the morning and it sputtered and all lights came on and then stalled. She tried restarting and finally started after several attempts. But get this....her mom noticed that it was making a loud knocking noise when my wife was leaving. We never heard it since were always inside the car when starting... Took it to MB dealership and now MB USA is telling us they are replacing the entire engine..wtf??. We told them that is not fair to us and that a replacement is the right thing to do.. We have a scheduled phone call with them later today to discuss our complaint....Dealership is trying to stay out of it saying they cant do anything...can you say lemon!!
You're the first person to describe my stalling experience. I'd say it's happened about 5-6 times in the 3 months we've had it. It's never happened while driving; it's always a stall after a cold start in my driveway. I wrote off the first few times beacause I thought I didn't push the Keyless Go button hard enough. All the dash lights come on and you have to restart. I'll have to have my dealer check it out.....too bad they're 600km away.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM

2012 ML350
An almost stall. Our previous stalls have all been after coming to a stop after exiting a highway and have been complete shutdowns and all between Nov 2011 and Apr 2012, none since. This past weekend we were driving on surface streets. Came to a stop at an intersection and car shook and stuttered quite excessively, displayed HOLD in instr panel, then seemed OK. Cars behind us (and us) weren't very happy.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:37 AM

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Dino34
I have 2013 ML350 with 434miles.
Picked up from the dealership on Aug. 9 2012.
Ive experienced same issue 5 times already.
check the video clip I caught this morning..recommend to raise up the volume
http://youtu.be/pKpNRzFOdoI

As you can see, I tried to turn on the engine and it stalled.
Then I started the engine again, it worked..
BUT!!!! the car sputtered and the tachometer needle was shaking for a while..
I miss w204 I had for last 5years without any issues.

Last edited by nokoter; 08-24-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:06 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by NJProTech
It's the fuel pumps. I already started a topic for this. If its occurring on your vehicle and there are no fault codes you have a faulty high pressure fuel pump. And Yes, all my friends at other dealerships are only seeing this issue in NY area.
My June 2012 ML350 has a random starting problem. The engine cranks, the RPM climbs, the engine shudders and then it just cuts out. Last week it started on the fourth try. Looks very silly sitting in the parking lot trying to start. This is a safety issue too if it happens on the road and the engine stalls. Now I try to video the dash before starting and the dealer wants to see that. Pls. try that folks, if possible. That is such a pain, since kids start asking me if i am going to get going! This is so disappointing.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:01 AM

2013 ML350
I have a 2013 ML350 which I bought brand new in August. 2 weeks ago, it stalled out at a red light (2000 miles). I had just gotten off the freeway and was at a red light. The car shuddered and stalled. All the lights on the dash lit up. No CEL. Car started up right away when I pressed the button.

Two days later and on a fresh tank of gas, my car started to shudder at a stop sign. I hit the gas and reved the engine and I think I prevented a potential stall.

Four days later, dropped my car off at the Mercedes Benz dealer.. they've had it for almost a week. One of the foremen has been driving it around trying to see if he can get it to stall.

I have noticed in the last couple weeks, that at 60+ mph, the car runs rough. It's not overly noticeable because the car is so smooth, but you can feel it when gripping the steering wheel.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 AM

ML350
Originally Posted by sn-ma
I have a 2013 ML350 which I bought brand new in August. 2 weeks ago, it stalled out at a red light (2000 miles). I had just gotten off the freeway and was at a red light. The car shuddered and stalled. All the lights on the dash lit up. No CEL. Car started up right away when I pressed the button.

Two days later and on a fresh tank of gas, my car started to shudder at a stop sign. I hit the gas and reved the engine and I think I prevented a potential stall.

Four days later, dropped my car off at the Mercedes Benz dealer.. they've had it for almost a week. One of the foremen has been driving it around trying to see if he can get it to stall.

I have noticed in the last couple weeks, that at 60+ mph, the car runs rough. It's not overly noticeable because the car is so smooth, but you can feel it when gripping the steering wheel.
This is horrible! Stalling out at a red light - on a new Benz! WE need to write to somebody...does MBUSA realize that this is a safety issue or they are just acting like they don't know?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I believe there is a campaign on this already, crank sensor? or a electric cable/plug. I have a buddy that is a tech at the local dealer and he was doing a new GL for what I believe he said was to keep it from dying. that was over a week ago, I hope that is what the campaign is for. Actually I wish it was the eco mode, I remember when i was driving a panamera and it did that at the light, I was like WTF? Porsche? it did it 4 times later in the day and I would turn the car off and restart it. told the manager when I got back and he couldn't keep a straight face... I laughed with them.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 AM

BMW
Truck stalled on me again today. Was at a light and when I took step my foot off the break the truck stalled. I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow with the service center. Hopefully they can see something on the computer. This blows!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 AM

2017 CLS550
Originally Posted by jbondox
I believe there is a campaign on this already, crank sensor? or a electric cable/plug. I have a buddy that is a tech at the local dealer and he was doing a new GL for what I believe he said was to keep it from dying. that was over a week ago, I hope that is what the campaign is for. Actually I wish it was the eco mode, I remember when i was driving a panamera and it did that at the light, I was like WTF? Porsche? it did it 4 times later in the day and I would turn the car off and restart it. told the manager when I got back and he couldn't keep a straight face... I laughed with them.
I hope you can report back as to what your buddy found. This is something that is obviously going throughout the MB SUV line, not all of them but enough that it is "campaign" worthy. Keep picking his brain and experience. If anyone knows what is wrong and going on it should be your friend.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:15 PM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by zeroisallornoth
This is horrible! Stalling out at a red light - on a new Benz! WE need to write to somebody...does MBUSA realize that this is a safety issue or they are just acting like they don't know?
Just picked up my ML350. One of the foreman drove it for a week and couldn't replicate the problem. They are insisting it's "bad gas".. the explanation was.. when it starts to get cold outside, gas companies add a ton of additives into gasoline and initially the level is really high because they go overboard. It takes a month or so to get it to a normal level. Silicone they said is one of the major culprits.
I have a hard time believing that it's "bad gas".
In case it is, I will avoid the gas station where I last filled before my car stalled.
BTW, I am in the Northeast in MA -- someone earlier mentioned a trend in geography.. I am curious to see if there is a trend in timing too. Are people seeing this problem moreso now (Oct-Nov) then any other time of year?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I will let you know.

if it is bad gas it would throw a code for it. went through this with an E class this past winter.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Sad to say but typical MB answer. No code no fix. I wouldn't believe them that they can't reproduce it either. I just think they don't have a fix for it and just tell you they can't reproduce it.

IMO they put way too much weight on the cars computer. If the computer is programed by a person who sets a range of parameters plus not all systems are monitored by the computer. But MB will NOT even try to fix a problem without a code.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 AM

2013 ML350
Smile Fuel pump fix

Less than a week after I got my car back and was told "bad gas" was to blame, my car stalled again (after driving on the freeway for 45 minutes, then came to a stop at a red light on the exit ramp). I didn't notice the first two times that my car actually started in neutral instead of P or D so when I hit the gas after starting my car again, it rolled backward and I almost hit the car behind me.

I was pretty upset and convinced it was not bad gas. I took it back to Mercedes the next day and drove home with a loaner. The next day, I got a phone call from my service manager and he said that his foreman had inquired about this problem beyond the local level and had been poring through some log I guess that keeps track of car problems and they found that several other MB locations had had cars with IDENTICAL issues.. car is driven at freeway speed for 45minutes or more, then stalls when stopped after exiting freeway. They kept my car for over a week as they waited for new (and as I was told redesigned) fuel pumps. They replaced both on my car and I've had it back for a week.

It is no longer feeling rough at 60+mph (which it was before when I was having the stalling problems) and I haven't felt it even stutter at a stop light after being on the freeway for 45+ minutes.

Hope this helps others out there.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 PM

2012 ML350
sn-ma, can you post the part numbers of any new parts they installed or procedure numbers for anything they did.

(We need a programmer who can program in a code for 'Fix the damn car' so the mechanics will have a code that does something.)

Thanks,
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM

2013 ML350
TundraRoads:

Here's what they wrote on the invoice:
RAN SDS TEST NO CODES. ROAD TESTED CAR FOR 60 MILES, UNABLE TO DUPLICATE. 2ND TIME BACK, SHOP FOREMAN CONTACTED TECH SUPPORT, THEY REQUIRED CK FUEL PUMP CONNECTOR UNDER CAR AT TANK, INSPECTED OK. THEY THEN INSTRUCTED TO REPLACE FUEL PUMP AND FILTER. DISCONNECTED BATTERY. DRAINED GAS TANK. REMOVED EXHAUST SYSTEM. REMOVED ALL HEAT SHIELDS. REMOVED ALL UNDER BODY PANELS. REMOVED DRIVE SHAFT. REMOVED FUEL TANK. REPLACED FUEL SENDER UNITS WITH FILTER AND PUMP. RECONNECTED BATT AND REINSTALLED ALL OF THE ABOVE.

As for parts -- not sure which are p/ns which are just service orders so copied invoice:
470601 Fuel Pump, Replace
2059 WSM
166-470-20-94 Fuel Deliver
166-570-04-90 fuel filter
164-470-02-30 screw connec
Old 11-14-2012, 04:33 PM

2017 CLS550
We still don't know what it is because they removed or replaced or drained the entire fuel delivery system (even the drive shaft?). It might not be the pump that caused the problem. It could be water in the gas tank (which they drained), fuel filter (which they replaced) or any number of things. But at least we know that following the procedure outlined by sn-ma should fix the problem, even if the exact point or part causing the problem can not be pinpointed.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:33 PM

2012 ML350
Thanks sn-ma. Keep us posted how it goes (good or bad).

Shortspark, the probability that this has anything to do with bad gas, water or other impurities in the gas, or clogged filters is rather low given how many people have had the problem and that it recurs over long periods of time.

All, for us it's seeming to be cold weather related. Had stalls all last winter, only one during summer, and now they seem to be starting again.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
I applaud your MB dealer for at least believing you and going to MB technical. SOme dealers just say they can't duplicate it and send you on your way. Seems that even though they didn't find an issue with the fuel pump they changed it anyway. To me this is being pro-active.

I like that your dealer is at least doing the right thing.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:32 AM

M350
Did they find a fix for your problem. My 2012 ML 350 stalled on me also. My dealer has the vehicle now. I am hoping there is a fix. It seems as if they have no clue just as it stated hre since there is no code for the stalls.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:22 AM

ML350
Had this happen to me today! Was on the freeway with my 7 year old in the back, car felt funny like it was shaking so I took the nearest exit and the engine just stopped. All electrical seemed to still work but the car wouldn't go and I felt it shaking. Engine light came on, read inoperable. I put it in N and coasted down the little hill until I could pull over. Unfortunately, someone rear ended me . I just had the car serviced last week! Before that there we no problems. Glad to see others have had this issue. Obviously something is very wrong! All of you with this problem, be safe. Had I not chosen to get off at the nearest exit it would have just stopped on a busy freeway and I don't want to think of how much worse the accident could have been. Would love to know if anything has been done by MB since you a all first reported this. I do not have keyless go.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:00 PM

M350
Sorry to hear this happened to you also. What year is your ML. I am sorry to inform you that they did not find anything when they kept my ML for a week. So I have this 60,000 truck that I enjoy driving and pray that I do not have this issue again. SMH Thank God you and your child was not hurt. I hope it doesn't take for someone to be seriously hurt for them to find a fix !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Random Stalling in 2012 ML