Issues and first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 300CE, 2013 ML350 Bluetec, 2014 ML350 Bluetec, 2012 Ram 1500

2012 ML350 Bluetec

I really like this SUV, but wanted to give unbiased feedback to the community as I have learned a lot reading other posts over the years.

Issues:

Stumbles and lacks power on winter day cold start – dealer said MB is working on a fix.

High frequency noise when turning steering wheel – younger people will hear this more.

Driver’s side window wouldn’t stay up even after syncing per manual. Was delivered like this. Dealer synced and said manual may not be correct.

Mbrace is too loud every time a new call is made as it defaults to a set volume. The volume is adjustable but It is not possible to turn the volume down low enough. During the call a loud squeal for about a second or two. Minor issue is that you have to hang up the call yourself. Call is first connected to a machine, not a person. Mbrace is no where near the quality of OnStar as a package.

Standard radio seems lacking and had to replace the rear speakers after 1 week. The front speakers are surprisingly good. On the test drive I thought the standard radio would be OK as I was trying to keep the price down. Next time will spring for the HK.

The standard headlights seem very poor. I replaced the bulbs with Silverstar Ultras and this helped a little. I find myself always using high beams wherever possible.

This morning I opened the door to no interior lights. Closed and reopened it and they came on! I guess this is a sign that it is a real Mercedes.

General comments:

The diesel is tamed, but you can still here it during low speed driving. It does not bother me and I actually like it. There is some vibration at low rpms when pulling a hill and this can cause some interior trim to vibrate at times.
The engine likes to run in the 1200-2000 range. It does take time to make power after a start at low rpms.

Pulling into oncoming traffic is not like the gas engine as boost has to build so plan accordingly. Oddly the engine has terrific throttle response. In other words, the engine responds immediately to the throttle and starts to move out; you just don’t have much power until boost builds.

Some may also be disappointed in the actual power available at higher rpms. When the throttle is floored at speed it really doesn’t take off like the gas engines.

One other odd point is the throttle seems to be calibrated to help get good miles per gallon. If you want to go faster at slow speeds a quarter of the throttle to half seems to have little effect, then there’s a fine line where it really pulls and if you keep pushing it down not much more happens.

I live in NY and for some strange reason NY is not listed in the emissions book for the 7 year/70k mile emissions warranty. California and all the surrounding clean air states are listed. As such, NY defaults back to the Federal 2 year/24k miles. The clean air states also get many items covered that the Federal states do not.

A call to customer care gives the usual useless, go away answer, such as the book is correct. I really didn’t expect more from past experience.

I didn’t summarize the good points, but will if there is interest. I don’t expect a lot of comments on how a diesel drives as I grew up with them. This was meant to inform others of my experience with this car.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by longisland516
2012 ML350 Bluetec

I really like this SUV, but wanted to give unbiased feedback to the community as I have learned a lot reading other posts over the years.

Issues:.....

I didn’t summarize the good points, but will if there is interest. I don’t expect a lot of comments on how a diesel drives as I grew up with them. This was meant to inform others of my experience with this car.
My comments:

1. Steering is really light, little road feel. Good for my wife, but I am not sure if I like it.
2. Overall cabin quality and driving impressions vastly improved over my 2003 ML.
3. Fuel filter warning message came on at 50 miles (!!), and fuel filter had to be replaced. This is truly vintage Mercedes Benz, no car (and I have had 6 now) has come without initial glitches.
4. Others - not sure, since I have only done 52 miles and it is now in for the fuel filter fix - BEFORE the registration sticker has been affixed......
Old 01-05-2012, 06:11 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
I myself love the vehicle. I feel the diesel has plenty of power and very responsive throttle response. I can't hear the engine inside the car. Can hardly hear it outside. The HK system is the way to go. We listened to both b4 ordering and were sold on the HK. Headlights are fine for me. If they get to a point I feel they need upgrading I will just put HIDs in. No steering wheel noise on my car. The ambient light only stays one color on the drivers door. I thought I heard a little rattle once but can't seem to replicate it. I agree the steering is very light but only at slow speeds. Its just right at highway speed. I agree about the MBrace. The squealing noise hurts my ears. ANd you should get a real person and not a machine right away.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:37 AM

Ml350 bluetech
Real problems

Wait until you have problems like Adblue tank expolsion and harness slacked, or oil cooler gasket failur and obligation to change the intake piping and the turbo fans, the coast of these problems? Almost 9000$!!