M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

W166 COMAND ONLINE Engineering Mode Description

Old 05-11-2013, 02:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
MY13 ML350 4MATIC Blueefficiency
W166 COMAND ONLINE Engineering Mode Description

Hi everyone!
I am one of the lucky ones by owning a brand new MY13 ML350 4Matic (W166). After reading some comments about COMAND ONLINE, I've decided to discover it myself. I was able to get into the engineering mode by "end call + 1 + #" key combination pressed for about 10 sec. There is also another secret menu after entering the engineering mode as mentioned in some threads in this forum. I managed to enter the second menu with the key combination "end call + 4 + #" after entering the engineering menu. I prepared an instruction with screens from COMAND ONLINE in the attachment for those who wants to bring some cool features on to their COMAND system. I must warn though, you can mess up with your settings. So, don't change anything if you are not sure what you are doing.

Good Luck
Attached Files
The following 3 users liked this post by ilke.senol:
borocom (07-26-2021), gianluca39675 (10-14-2020), Marcosvg (10-15-2020)
Old 05-12-2013, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,167 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by ilke.senol
Hi everyone!
I am one of the lucky ones by owning a brand new MY13 ML350 4Matic (W166). After reading some comments about COMAND ONLINE, I've decided to discover it myself. I was able to get into the engineering mode by "end call + 1 + #" key combination pressed for about 10 sec. There is also another secret menu after entering the engineering mode as mentioned in some threads in this forum. I managed to enter the second menu with the key combination "end call + 4 + #" after entering the engineering menu. I prepared an instruction with screens from COMAND ONLINE in the attachment for those who wants to bring some cool features on to their COMAND system. I must warn though, you can mess up with your settings. So, don't change anything if you are not sure what you are doing.
Thanks - what button toggles within each setting?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:18 AM

You can toggle between the screens by pulling the central control wheel all the way to the south. So, first turn the wheel clockwise to go down to the very bottom of the list in each screen and then pull the wheel to south (towards rear seats), this will take you to the next screen. You can press on the wheel to confirm a selection, just like in normal control. If you change any setting, the system must be restarted before the changes be affective. You should find a menu where there is "END" option available. Once you select it, it will ask you to leave the menu and restart. However, what I noticed is that not all "END" options restart the system for some reason. So if it does not ask for restart, you will loose your changes and need to do it again. I use always the following "END" option which restarts the system: 7.HW settings --> 7.15 USB compliance test

good luck
Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 GLS500. Previously '14 C250, '13 ML500, '12 C250, '08 ML500, '07 E500 & '03 A160
Thanks for posting that information ilke.senol.

I had a bit of a play around with this a few weeks ago as I wanted to check-out the different clocks that could be displayed as per the information in https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...-findings.html

I noticed something on page 6 of your PDF which caught my attention:
The middle photo where the top of the COMAND screen says "7.7 HU Parameter (11/16)" then below that "71 Vehicle Body Style: W-Sedan". I actually changed mine to SUV thinking it was possibly an error from the factory or something. Anyway, it hasn't seemed to have made any difference with anything. Perhaps I should have left it alone hmmm.

Has anyone got any ideas about this?

Thanks in advance ...
Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM

I played with the same setting as well and no difference. Therefore, I left it in W-sedan. Actually I don't remember any SUV option in that option. I have the same question for the menu item 36-Recircul Air Icon on page 4. It is now SUV selected and when I change it, that doesn't change anything in my settings either. Any idea? Similarly, 44-Split View on page 5 nothing happens
Old 05-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 BlueTec.
I didn't think

The current W166 had the split view yet ??? I'm assuming in the next few years, that will be an option. Certainly a must have option.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by C-rod
The current W166 had the split view yet ??? I'm assuming in the next few years, that will be an option. Certainly a must have option.
Available for MY14 in Canada.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:34 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec.
Thumbs up Wonderful.

Thanks for letting me know.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml350
split view = 360 degree camera?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
No "split view" is special LCD screen and tech taken from XBox - let's passenger and drive view two formats - more limited than it sounds - see that feature on special option S-Class mostly -
Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 AM

ml350 bluetec
For what it is worth. Even though my Canadian ML does not have split view in Canada, it certainly does while driving in the USA, but only if I don't use metric and have changed the instrument panel to miles.
Here is something which is really strange, today in Montana we got 34.2 mpg average and 35.6 mpg max.
Until today our average was 27.6 mpg which did include a lot of mountains, with 15 & 20 mph corners and use of the paddle gears.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:29 PM

ML350
Allow Navigation Destination entry while In Motion?

Does anyone know if the feature to allow allow navigation destination entry while in motion is in one of these Engineering settings? Thanks
Old 07-29-2016, 04:49 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
2007 C350 2015 ML400 1968 Ford Mustang
No, however you can do it with Vediamo.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:10 AM

Mercedes - Benz C450 AMG
Originally Posted by jrsmith_68
No, however you can do it with Vediamo.
HI there,

Can you please share the procedure how to enable address entry while in motion?
Thank you
The following users liked this post:
lurch177 (11-13-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by noxowner99
HI there,

Can you please share the procedure how to enable address entry while in motion?
Thank you
Do you have a working version of Vediamo and know how to find the correct .CBF to communicate with your COMAND unit? If so its pretty easy to walk you through it, if not let me know when you get the hardware and software.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:00 AM

Mercedes - Benz C450 AMG
Do you have a working version of Vediamo and know how to find the correct .CBF to communicate with your COMAND unit? If so its pretty easy to walk you through it, if not let me know when you get the hardware and software.
HI Jrsmith
Thank you for taking time and answering my questions. I would definitely need some instructions on how to. I am very good at IT but very beginner when it comes to mercedes.
Thank you again
Devis
Old 11-08-2016, 12:24 AM

Mercedes - Benz C450 AMG
Hello.

Can you or someone tell me what hardware and software I need? I red some were that I need a Dell laptop but not sure what model.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:52 PM

Search the net for *******. You will be able to find out all you need to know about the laptop, multiplexer, and software you need. Its not easy and requires significant time investment to understand how to use properly.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
R231
Originally Posted by das3000
Does anyone know if the feature to allow allow navigation destination entry while in motion is in one of these Engineering settings? Thanks
You would need to unlock your headunit in order to enable navigation address entry. You can get the software from Bimmerguru . This is how it works:

Old 01-11-2019, 08:19 PM

2015 ML350 CDI W166 AMG Pkge
Speakers stopped working on W166 after i played around

Originally Posted by ilke.senol
Hi everyone!

Good Luck

Hi
I found your pdf and explanation very detailed and useful, I am wondering if you may help me on this issue.
I did enter Engineering mode using (End call + 1 + * +#)keys which i am not sure if it maid any change rather than using keys without " * ".
I quite the setting and I did drive the car and audio was working using SD card. The speakers stopped waking when I returned to SUV. No sound from any devices, Radio, CD, SD, Tel,....

I appreciate your comments.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-16-2020, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 GL450
I know it's been a LONG time since you posted this but did you ever get this sorted out. I'm having a similiar problem. I turned AUX on and back off again and now I have no audio and my Media Interface and Sat Radio have disappeared from the menu.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:03 AM

2013 GL450
I had the same problem, GL450 with NTG 4.7 with H/K System, enabled AUX in engineering mode and lost sound, Satellite radio and Media Interface, it's taken me a few days but finally figured it out. If you enable AUX in 7.7 HU Parameters , then UCI in 7.5 TGW will show not installed and grayed out which is Media Interface, correct settings for me to get sound, satellite radio and media interface back was as follows:

7.7 HU Parameters - AUX - Not Installed
then go to:
7.5 TGW Parameter
Most - ON
Audio Source - External Amp
DAB - not installed
SDARS - installed (this is satellite radio)
UCI - installed (this is Media Interface)
TV Tuner - not installed

then perform a 9.1 System Reset
In my menu NTG Menu then I had both Media Interface and AUX after this, my MI cable connector has both a 3.5mm input cable and Ipod cable, if connect to the 3.5mm I select AUX in my menu, if I want to use my IPOD I select Media Interface.

Hope this helps, save time for some.
The following 3 users liked this post by cguerrero:
cjamesqb8 (07-13-2020), Dauwan (12-28-2022), nanoera (02-06-2022)
Old 06-27-2020, 10:05 AM

2009 GL450
Originally Posted by cguerrero
I had the same problem, GL450 with NTG 4.7 with H/K System, enabled AUX in engineering mode and lost sound, Satellite radio and Media Interface, it's taken me a few days but finally figured it out. If you enable AUX in 7.7 HU Parameters , then UCI in 7.5 TGW will show not installed and grayed out which is Media Interface, correct settings for me to get sound, satellite radio and media interface back was as follows:

7.7 HU Parameters - AUX - Not Installed
then go to:
7.5 TGW Parameter
Most - ON
Audio Source - External Amp
DAB - not installed
SDARS - installed (this is satellite radio)
UCI - installed (this is Media Interface)
TV Tuner - not installed

then perform a 9.1 System Reset
In my menu NTG Menu then I had both Media Interface and AUX after this, my MI cable connector has both a 3.5mm input cable and Ipod cable, if connect to the 3.5mm I select AUX in my menu, if I want to use my IPOD I select Media Interface.

Hope this helps, save time for some.
This is great info and I wish I’d had it 4 months ago. I tried everything I could think of in the engineering mode menus and researched everywhere I could and could not find anything that would restore my menus. Took it to my Mercedes dealer(which is a large dealer in St Louis) and they couldn’t restore it and had no experience with the engineering menus. So got connected with one of their technology integrators. He was a smart guy that tried some things but couldn’t fix it either. He had a contract/friend at Mercedes who’s and engineer. I had to send it off to him and have it completely reformatted to factory specs with my VIN#. $900 later it’s working perfectly, new firmware and I’ll never play with engineering mode again. Engineering mode is made for setting the unit up at the factory with specific options, and although you can certainly play around with things, I did a number of them successfully, it’s dangerous. And I’m pretty geeky, I’m in communications/tech. Anyway, thanks for the input, but for all the others out there that want to install CarPlay, beware. Be very careful changing inputs!
Old 06-27-2020, 01:09 PM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by csbracing316
This is great info and I wish I’d had it 4 months ago. I tried everything I could think of in the engineering mode menus and researched everywhere I could and could not find anything that would restore my menus. Took it to my Mercedes dealer(which is a large dealer in St Louis) and they couldn’t restore it and had no experience with the engineering menus. So got connected with one of their technology integrators. He was a smart guy that tried some things but couldn’t fix it either. He had a contract/friend at Mercedes who’s and engineer. I had to send it off to him and have it completely reformatted to factory specs with my VIN#. $900 later it’s working perfectly, new firmware and I’ll never play with engineering mode again. Engineering mode is made for setting the unit up at the factory with specific options, and although you can certainly play around with things, I did a number of them successfully, it’s dangerous. And I’m pretty geeky, I’m in communications/tech. Anyway, thanks for the input, but for all the others out there that want to install CarPlay, beware. Be very careful changing inputs!
Yikes, expensive lesson, I did spend like 2hrs checking all my fuses including the pre-battery one which is a pain to get to on a GL thinking I had blown my AMP somehow, but agreed if your going to mess in engineering mode take a picture of every setting in every menu every page so you know how to put it back if needed cause one setting affects others in other menus possibly.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:58 PM

2009 GL450
Yes, I suppose if you take a pic of all the screens you could go back an check them later if something changes. Bottom like, I changed the audio input from the media interface in the center console to the input behind the headunit. Mostly for convenience of running the audio input for apple carplay. I had it connected to the media interface and carplay was working fine. So I changed the input to the AUX behind the head unit, no problems, other than it was an either/or situation, it turned OFF the media interface aux input when I changed it. So my ancient Ipod wouldn't work anymore. So I when I decided to change it back to the media interface... what should have been a simple change to put the AUX input back to the Media interface in the center console, it all died. It greyed out almost all the input in the Engineering screen and nothing, but nothing I would do would change it. Lost my sat radio, media interface, everything, all audio was gone. Head unit still worked but no audio. And with all my personal efforts and pro's I worked with, it would not go back. Only a complete reformat of the headunit restored it. $900 and weeks of headaches and shipping my head unit off. If you're gonna try carplay, be very careful with the Engineering mode.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W166 COMAND ONLINE Engineering Mode Description