M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Add Blue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add Blue

I just bought a 2012 M Class 350 Blue Tech. I plan to purchase the add blue component\fluid from Amazon.com, : AD BLUE Diesel Emissions Fluid for SCR Code TWO 1/2 gallons (2010-2013) by ADBLUE
$29.94 new
How much do I need to add after about 10,000 miles? Is it ok to do it your self?

Thank you
Old 06-02-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Defender 90/360 Modena/2012 MLBTC on order
Yes you can do it yourself
My consumption is 1 & a half of the 2.5 gal boxes for @ 10K miles

You should not have gotten the add blue warning if properly filled when new

Last edited by Waykool plantz; 06-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frack Amazon on this one ... 2 1/2 gallons of Peak brand DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is totslly the same stuff as MB brand AdBlue and is under $15 at most auto parts retail stores.

You do the fill before 10K service by sight and feel - do not overfill - if you want buy a small AdBlue bottle from MB parts dept, use that 1st, and cut bottom off and use as a lockin funnel..

Then request at service for the dealer to reset the AdBlue level indicator..
Old 06-03-2013, 10:21 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
I was buying the 2.5gal bottles at a VW dealer for about $18 or $20. My last one I got @ Walmart for $12. Truck now has 17,xxx miles. I wish there was a level gauge or indicator or anything. So far I between 10,000mi & now I put in one small bottle, 2 of the 2.5gal jugs, & today I got in 3/4 of a 3rd 2.5gal jug & it's full to the brim. Don't ask how I know. Glad I followed the earlier advice to pour it in slowly & add a little at a time.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Your have a 2000 mile "safety factor" when the "low AdBlue" comes up - but eliminating that "low AdBlue" light requires 3-4-5 "drive cylces" before it goes off.

The AdBlue tank in the ML is 7 gallons.

That low AdBlue (Diesel Exhaust Fluid or DEF) indicator doesn't require hard SDS reset. If after refill the low AdBlue warning does not come off is 1/2/3 drive cycles - then from ML totally off turn the ignition to position 1 (on, but not cranking) for over 30 secs - then turn ignition off - if Keyless Go pull the button and use the key. The position 1 is a general reset for that system.

At this time there is no effective way to measure the amount of AdBlue in that tank - the "full" capacity is 7 gallons.

However with AdBlue/DEF there is no need to keep topped off - the AdBlue/DEF is stable (not like gas or disiel) and unaffected by any minor tank condensation when running a low tank.

The urea mix used in AdBlue/DEF also does NOT "crystallize" in partial tanks as some dealers might infer - again, no problems come up that require tank top off before that low level light, really.

The reserve level in that AdBlue/DEF tank once you hit that light is around 2000-2500 miles.

One DIY recommendation is to add 5 gallons from bulk 2.5 gallon bottles at/over 10K miles before you get that low/reserve light - the light otherwide will normally happen somewhere around 13.5K-14.5K miles.

A 5 gallon fill at 10K will be more than sufficient, you want to avoid a overfill so take care on the last part of that 5 gallon fill.

The bulk DEF bottles in 2.5 gallon and 1 gallon do not come with the special/trickseter valve the small bottles have to prevent overfills - overfills can be messy - towards a "top off" the system can burp back a bit from trapped air - slow fills can prevent this - you can also point the front of the car uphill a bit while filling that also helps prevent burping.

Using bulk bottles you just need to be slow and conservative and not overfill and spill over. If spilled over (and with decent care thats actually very hard to do) then flush excess off with a water hose.

Putting truck stop DEF pumps to the side - the most cost effective DIY 5 gallon fill - buy (2) 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF - generic brand will cost like $12 ea at a retail auto parts store under Peak Brand or buy branded VW for like $15-$18 each at a VW dealer.

Bulk DEF also comes in gallon bottles at most retail auto parts stores fro around $6 a gallon, so the 2.5 gallon bottles are cheaper.

On bulk bottles you can use a appropriate funnel to fill (do not overfill) or some owners buy one liter MB or VW bottle for $8-$10 that has that valve, after emptying that, they cut off3/4 of the bottom to use the empty small bottle as a funnel for the larger bulk bottles/box/carton.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 AM
skw

2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Your have a 2000 mile "safety factor" when the "low AdBlue" comes up - but eliminating that "low AdBlue" light requires 3-4-5 "drive cylces" before it goes off.

That low AdBlue (Diesel Exhaust Fluid or DEF) indicator doesn't require hard SDS reset. If after refill the low AdBlue warning does not come off is 1/2/3 drive cycles - then from ML totally off turn the ignition to position 1 (on, but not cranking) for over 30 secs - then turn ignition off - if Keyless Go pull the button and use the key. The position 1 is a general reset for that system.

At this time there is no effective way to measure the amount of AdBlue in that tank - the "full" capacity is 7 gallons.

However with AdBlue/DEF there is no need to keep topped off - the AdBlue/DEF is stable (not like gas or disiel) and unaffected by any minor tank condensation when running a low tank.

The urea mix used in AdBlue/DEF also does NOT "crystallize" in partial tanks as some dealers might infer - again, no problems come up that require tank top off before that low level light, really.

The reserve level in that AdBlue/DEF tank once you hit that light is around 2000-2500 miles.

One DIY recommendation is to add 5 gallons from bulk 2.5 gallon bottles at/over 10K miles before you get that low/reserve light - the light otherwide will normally happen somewhere around 13.5K-14.5K miles.

A 5 gallon fill at 10K will be more than sufficient, you want to avoid a overfill so take care on the last part of that 5 gallon fill.

The bulk DEF bottles in 2.5 gallon and 1 gallon do not come with the special/trickseter valve the small bottles have to prevent overfills - overfills can be messy - towards a "top off" the system can burp back a bit from trapped air - slow fills can prevent this - you can also point the front of the car uphill a bit while filling that also helps prevent burping.

Using bulk bottles you just need to be slow and conservative and not overfill and spill over. If spilled over (and with decent care thats actually very hard to do) then flush excess off with a water hose.

Putting truck stop DEF pumps to the side - the most cost effective DIY 5 gallon fill - buy (2) 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF - generic brand will cost like $12 ea at a retail auto parts store under Peak Brand or buy branded VW for like $15-$18 each at a VW dealer.

Bulk DEF also comes in gallon bottles at most retail auto parts stores fro around $6 a gallon, so the 2.5 gallon bottles are cheaper.

On bulk bottles you can use a appropriate funnel to fill (do not overfill) or some owners buy one liter MB or VW bottle for $8-$10 that has that valve, after emptying that, they cut off3/4 of the bottom to use the empty small bottle as a funnel for the larger bulk bottles/box/carton.

You're 100% correct in that when it's full, it "burps" back, hence the need to pour slowly when you're getting full. Even at that point I had a lil spill over as I was unscrewing the bottle. Just rinsed it off & took the opportunity to hand was the whole truck. DEF that spills on your skin looks like water but dries to a white residue, just rinse off.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 ML350 BT
My dealership has an Ad Blue pump. I haven't had to fill yet, but hear that buying by the gallon is reasonably cost effective. You're not paying for the packaging, etc. Either way, it nice to have fewer bottles of stuff in my garage.

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 06-06-2013, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
If it's a MB dealer they will charge AdBlue prices, even if they use a tank pump... same type "pump" is at major truck stops where you pay generic DEF prices..
Old 06-27-2013, 04:51 PM

ml-350 diesel 2011
The dealer told me even if I fill up ad blue, only he can reset the indicator. He said, therefore, there is no sense to you filling it up. I don't know if that is correct or not. I find this an annoying part of owning a diesel.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:50 PM

Defender 90/360 Modena/2012 MLBTC on order
Originally Posted by rosemund
The dealer told me even if I fill up ad blue, only he can reset the indicator. He said, therefore, there is no sense to you filling it up. I don't know if that is correct or not. I find this an annoying part of owning a diesel.
I have added 10 gallons @28500 miles.
I have yet to see the indicator...fill up before you do....and don't fear the dealer holding you hostage.
I will probably pickup another 2.5 gal jug and see how much she drinks.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:09 PM

ml-350 diesel 2011
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-23-2014, 12:11 PM

2014 Mercedes Sprinter
DEF

Thanks for the "1/2/3" information. I've yet to find that in the Owner's Manual.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
I know everyone is talking about the number of miles they get in relation to how much DEF they're using, but from what I understand, it is the number of starts that occur as to how much DEF is used. The last time I had the truck serviced at 30K, the tech forgot to top it off and I got a message saying "10 starts left." Fortunately I was only about a mile from an MB dealer. Stopped in, got it topped off, and on my way. I do have prepaid maintenance so don't buy it myself.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:40 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 2016 C3, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
I know everyone is talking about the number of miles they get in relation to how much DEF they're using, but from what I understand, it is the number of starts that occur as to how much DEF is used.
No, but it is how they warn you that you are/have run out. Keeps you from driving the vehicle without any DEF.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:06 PM

2014 Mercedes Sprinter
def

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:41 AM

2014 Mercedes Sprinter
At my 10K mi. oil service, my dealer wanted to refill my AdBlue and 'reset' the system, for $125.00. I told him "no thanks, that I had just refilled it and it reset itself." He gave me a
funny look. Best price on AdBlue so far, found at Pep Boys for $11/2.5gal.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLE 450
I had previously bought and used one of the 1/2 gal spill-proof bottles mentioned initially, then used a 1 1/4" spade drill bit to put a hole in the bottom of the bottle (vs cutting the bottom off as suggested by others). Using this spill-proof bottle + 2.5 gal DEF jugs you can get @ Walmart for $12, makes topping off DEF cheap and easy:

*screw the spill-proof bottle into DEF filler neck - it remains secure while you fill it with DEF as described in next step

*the flexible filler tube that comes with the 2.5 gal jug fits nicely into the 1 1/14" hole and limits over-flow/splash back as you fill the 1/2 gal bottle

*fill up the 1/2 gal bottle 5-6 times and you've got the whole 2.5 gals added in 5 mins or so...very easy
Attached Thumbnails Add Blue-screenshot002.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 12:31 PM

2014 Mercedes Sprinter
Excellent idea. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:42 PM

2014 Mercedes Sprinter
pwdawson

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

Thanks for the 'point the front of the car uphill' tip -haven't seen that anywhere
else. Good tip.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:50 AM
skw

2019 GLS450
FYI: My last 2.5gal bottle of DEF from the VW dealer was just under $12.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:01 PM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
I bought three 2.5 gallon AdBlue units at Walmart months ago and could only get part of the first in the tank as it only had like 7K on the ODO.

Does AdBlue go bad over time or can you store for a year or so?
Old 12-08-2014, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by rosemund
Pure Bull*****!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by GregGebhardt
I bought three 2.5 gallon AdBlue units at Walmart months ago and could only get part of the first in the tank as it only had like 7K on the ODO.

Does AdBlue go bad over time or can you store for a year or so?
Store it tightly capped and in a somewhat cool area. It should be good for 2 years.