M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

2015 Mercedes-Benz SUV Updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:23 AM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
Originally Posted by shortspark
Yes, I agree with the using clay recommendations. There are various types of clay and I would start with a mild one, such as Griot. It is very important to use a good lubricant (I use Speed Shine, also by Griot). The best test to determine if your car is a candidate for clay is called the "baggie test", which is better than the bare hand test. Wash and dry the car and then put a baggie on your hand. Run your hand over the car's horizontal surfaces (vertical surfaces usually do not require clay, at least not on new or nearly new cars). If the baggie grabs the paint, you need to clay. If it runs smooth as glass, you can skip this step.

I have found that the next step is the most important of all - cleansing the paint. Some people use Dawn dish soap to do it in order to be sure the paint is totally free of previous wax/sealant. But I much prefer a dedicated paint cleaner (not an abrasive polish unless correction is required). The best I've found is P21S Paintwork Cleanser but I will soon try a similar product that is a little cheaper - Duragloss Squeaky Clean.

I have a Diamond White ML and the paint cleaner really does a great job on this paint as a prep for the last step product, be it wax or sealant. Keeping with German products such as P21S, I have pretty much settled on Sonax NetShield, a polymer sealant. You will get at least six months protection with NetShield, especially if you "top" it periodically with Sonax Brilliant Shine. Both are spray products, one aerosol and one trigger spray. If you want a little richer or deeper look than a sealant provides, Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is hard to beat and lasts nearly as long.

There are a ton of good detailing products out there and I have tried my share for sure! These products are the best I've found for my paint, although everyone needs to experiment to get the look and protection they want. Bottom line is that while clay is important in most cases, a good paint cleanser (or polish) is crucial in ALL cases.
That is FANTASTIC advice! Thank-you very much. I'm going to try out this technique on my wife's diamond white Escalade (that we are sending to our vacation home) before I try it on the new ML.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by Subatomic Power
The 3M coating is about $1400 for a clear bra that is detailed for the whole front surface of the ML as well as the first 8 inches of the top of the hood from the front. Winter road gravel in Calgary makes the 3M a must. I chose to go with the 3M because it has a lifelong warrantee. When it yellows, peels, cracks, etc....they replace it for free.
WOW!! $1400?!?? I guess the dealer has to have his markup.

I paid US$625.00 for the same clear bra on the front. In addition, the front sides of the exterior mirrors, the edges of the doors and the indents behind the door handles also had the film applied. My SunTek film has the same lifetime warranty.

Good luck with your other spray on coating.

Last edited by DUTCH; 11-05-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:47 AM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
Originally Posted by Owlet
Heated washer fluid is available as a special order option.
I got the heated windshield washer fluid standard in my ML550. Came in very handy this past week with the -36°C winter weather. Works well enough to clear all the ice buildup.