M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Ordered my 550 yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML550
Ordered my 550 yesterday

Firstly, this is a great forum. Was really interesting to read past threads on info, issues, and feedback.

ML550 Black Obsidian, Grey/Black Leather, Aluminum Trim, P01 package, Lighting package, Ventilated Seats, Multi-contour seats, Harmon Kardan system, Entertainment system, Heated/cooled cupholders, Airmatic, Active Curve Suspension, Parktronic, MB-Tex Wrapped Dash, Trailer Hitch, 20" wheels.

I call it my AMG Wannabe. I will chip it to about 480HP. I will be blacking out the 'chrome' lower fascia on front and rear. It looks so plastic, large, and out of place to me. And I will likely get aftermarket wheels for summer (HRE TR45 flat black are the dream). I will put Bridgestone Blizzaks on the 20" wheels for the winter.

Thinking about Distronic, but I'm not sold.

I have an '09 GL550. The powertrain, ride, and handling have been phenomenal. I can't go back. I don't need as big a car now. But I still need to tow a boat. So ML550 it was (couldn't figure out how to justify another $23K for the AMG, but I gave it a good go).

Last note: one of the sales guys also heard that the 4.6L TT would not be available next year. The manager said he had not heard anything. And they had not seen the FY15 order forms. The ordering system was down on Saturday - may have been for the FY15 updates.

Very much looking forward to the new ride.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Actually kindof funny since the Dealer Order Guide - preview MY2015 - is on the MB Netstar system for the past 6 weeks - all-in-all you will be very happy with the 14 ML550..

If it was me - I would recommend black anthracite wood trim - very/very luxo look - add wood/leather wheel - awesome and much more resistant to wear (especially scratches) than alum..
Old 04-01-2014, 11:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Actually kindof funny since the Dealer Order Guide - preview MY2015 - is on the MB Netstar system for the past 6 weeks - all-in-all you will be very happy with the 14 ML550..

If it was me - I would recommend black anthracite wood trim - very/very luxo look - add wood/leather wheel - awesome and much more resistant to wear (especially scratches) than alum..
Yeah I got the black wood too. I've had aluminum in all my Audis and got really tired of it. Anthracite dresses up the interior a lot. Aluminum will look pretty flat, but whatever you want.
The wood wheel is nice. Had it in our old 2012 ml but I got the sport interior which looks like the AMG interior with white stitching on the door. So didn't get that this time around since I wanted the aluminum perf leather wheel instead of the sport package

Last edited by jtorrebl; 04-01-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
Yeah I got the black wood too. I've had aluminum in all my Audis and got really tired of it. Anthracite dresses up the interior a lot. Aluminum will look pretty flat, but whatever you want.
The wood wheel is nice. Had it in our old 2012 ml but I got the sport interior which looks like the AMG interior with white stitching on the door. So didn't get that this time around since I wanted the aluminum perf leather wheel instead of the sport package
Originally Posted by yorken
Firstly, this is a great forum. Was really interesting to read past threads on info, issues, and feedback.

ML550 Black Obsidian, Grey/Black Leather, Aluminum Trim, P01 package, Lighting package, Ventilated Seats, Multi-contour seats, Harmon Kardan system, Entertainment system, Heated/cooled cupholders, Airmatic, Active Curve Suspension, Parktronic, MB-Tex Wrapped Dash, Trailer Hitch, 20" wheels.

I call it my AMG Wannabe. I will chip it to about 480HP. I will be blacking out the 'chrome' lower fascia on front and rear. It looks so plastic, large, and out of place to me. And I will likely get aftermarket wheels for summer (HRE TR45 flat black are the dream). I will put Bridgestone Blizzaks on the 20" wheels for the winter.

I have an '09 GL550. The powertrain, ride, and handling have been phenomenal. I can't go back. I don't need as big a car now. But I still need to tow a boat. So ML550 it was (couldn't figure out how to justify another $23K for the AMG, but I gave it a good go).

Last note: one of the sales guys also heard that the 4.6L TT would not be available next year. The manager said he had not heard anything. And they had not seen the FY15 order forms. The ordering system was down on Saturday - may have been for the FY15 updates.

It's already 460hp stock according to tuners who Dynod it first
Old 04-02-2014, 02:20 AM

2014 ML550
It's already 460hp stock according to tuners who Dynod it first
Do you know who the tuners were?

I have heard that Mercedes consistently under-reports their engine specs. It would be cool to see documented proof.

I have seen 3rd party reports of 0-60 times in the low 5's and high 4's for the ML550. From a physics perspective, for a 5,000lb auto, that would have to be more than 450hp.

I guess what I really mean is that I want to get it chipped - but not too aggressive. I don't want to have to pay for expensive engine parts and repair anytime soon.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:35 PM

2020 Panamera GTS
Wink

I was also planning on blacking out the front but was stuck on what to do to the rear. I don't know about black in the back. Are you doing high gloss or matte for front. Rear I might do white. Or carbon fiber on both? It seems like your obsessive like me and have probAbly thought about it a lot too.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
GLS63 / GONE: '16 GL63 '15 S63 '14 E63 '13 ML550 '10 E63 '09 C63 '07 E63 '00 E55 '99 C43 '84 190E16V
The tuner was Renntech... if I can find the link, I will post it.

UPDATE:

http://news.renntechmercedes.com/201...iturbo-engine/

Based on the tuned 530HP/606 Lb-ft torque rating with 70HP/80TQ gains, stock rating is 460HP/525TQ.

Last edited by cmginc; 04-03-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added link to article
Old 04-03-2014, 05:50 PM

2014 ML550
I was also planning on blacking out the front but was stuck on what to do to the rear. I don't know about black in the back. Are you doing high gloss or matte for front. Rear I might do white. Or carbon fiber on both? It seems like your obsessive like me and have probAbly thought about it a lot too.
My plan is to color match both front grill, front 'skid plate' (although it's plastic and would blow up if really needed to function :-)) and rear lower chrome area. I was going to leave the chrome strip at the top of the bumper - as I think it would take too much wear and tear to hold up.

In addition, I would add ClearBra to these painted components - as they will take a beating from rocks and road debris. The ClearBra will protect and flatten out the gloss a little.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:01 PM

2014 ML550
If it was me - I would recommend black anthracite wood trim - very/very luxo look awesome and much more resistant to wear (especially scratches) than alum..
I like the look of the anthracite trim. But I didn't want more black - as it's already dark with the Grey / Black interior and no Panorama sun roof.

If it was totally my choice, I would go with the Grey Leather interior and the Black Anthracite trim. I think it's a really clean look. But other 'stakeholders' in this decision wanted the Grey / Black leather. So I went with Aluminum trim.

I may still try to lobby for Grey Leather / Black Anthracite.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:36 AM

2020 Panamera GTS
I like the look of the anthracite trim. But I didn't want more black - as it's already dark with the Grey / Black interior and no Panorama sun roof.

If it was totally my choice, I would go with the Grey Leather interior and the Black Anthracite trim. I think it's a really clean look. But other 'stakeholders' in this decision wanted the Grey / Black leather. So I went with Aluminum trim.

I may still try to lobby for Grey Leather / Black Anthracite.
Show them a picture of the sport package interior. White stitching everywhere including the door panels (like the AMG) looks nice. I have pics of mine somewhere in a post or my album.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:54 AM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash

Hey Fabbrisd1, could you please post that MY2015 Dealer order guide Preview?