M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Special Order ML got sold to another dealer!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Special Order ML got sold to another dealer!?

Hi guys, so I'd like to have everyone's opinion on this.

Placed an order for my ML350 about 2 months ago with Fletcher Jones NewPort Beach, CA. (ML350, Diamond White, Almond Beige, Poplar wood, P1, Lighting, Parktronic, Harman Kardon, Ambient light, MB-Tex wrapped dash). The car was originally scheduled to be at the dealer next week (Production Date March 17th).

I called the dealership this morning and got informed that the car would never get here. Obviously It got sold to another dealership. Their exact words are "We have no idea why this happened but it happened. There's nothing we can do at this point!" They offered to put in another order which scheduled for May 20th production. And It won't get here till Mid June. Needless to say, Im beyond pissed. After April, I won't be having a car since I sold it to put the money toward the ML.

Any idea if this can actually happen or the dealer just simply messed up and trying to blame it on someone else? I am meeting them tomorrow. Could I ask for compensation? (I put down $1000 deposit)

Thanks.

Last edited by gunbound1989; 04-05-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If this did happen - yes, it was dealer screw up - your deposit was with the dealer - at the time you made the deposit it was your understanding from the dealer you had secured a specific factory PO# for a specific ML.

In the MB system - that factory PO# would be changed from internal code #3 or #2 - to Code #1 - customer delivery/sold unit - and brief customer info loaded into the system on that PO to confirm it indeed was in fact a customer delivery.

Sounds to me when you placed your deposit - the dealer fracked up - and didn't code/enter your info correctly.

Has nothing to do with MB factory..
Old 04-05-2014, 11:07 PM

2014 mercedes ml350
have them give more discount or cancal order.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:31 PM

ML350
Thank you Fabbrisd1, this just really proved my point that they really screw up not MBUSA.
At this point, i don't know if i should keep waiting/doing business with them. There another dealer, about 50 miles away, they should have one with with the similiar built, minus wrapped dash and Parkstronic.

Last edited by gunbound1989; 04-05-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:39 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by jchiu52
I feel like canceling the order is just letting them off the hook so easily. They wasted 2 months of my time. They told me they can't guarantee any discount unless the car is here.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:42 PM

2014 ML350, 2012 AM Vantage S Roadster
The list of items that needs to change before a single allocated vehicle to a dealer can be changed is quite long. It's not like anyone (or any single person) can go in to the system, selected a vehicle, and then change where it's going. It's not like changing options. The dealer goofed this one.

I'm curious if they used your vehicle for someone else's build (with more options/higher price tag) and just fed you BS the entire time.

Pains me to see these companies embracing the Mercedes name/brand/clientele by opening up a dealership but when any REAL issue arises... there are few that will give that true luxury service to make it right. They should be holding people hostage trying to get this corrected even if it was their fault... not telling you "So sorry so sad".

Sorry man... I can feel your pain. Don't let it suck out the joy of getting a new car though... you work too hard for the money to let a small group of irresponsible *******s kill it for you. Good luck from here on out.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:58 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by PureNick
The list of items that needs to change before a single allocated vehicle to a dealer can be changed is quite long. It's not like anyone (or any single person) can go in to the system, selected a vehicle, and then change where it's going. It's not like changing options. The dealer goofed this one.

I'm curious if they used your vehicle for someone else's build (with more options/higher price tag) and just fed you BS the entire time.

Pains me to see these companies embracing the Mercedes name/brand/clientele by opening up a dealership but when any REAL issue arises... there are few that will give that true luxury service to make it right. They should be holding people hostage trying to get this corrected even if it was their fault... not telling you "So sorry so sad".

Sorry man... I can feel your pain. Don't let it suck out the joy of getting a new car though... you work too hard for the money to let a small group of irresponsible *******s kill it for you. Good luck from here on out.
Thanks man. I just can't imagine waiting another 3 months. They told me they would "investigate" this as it can damage their reputation (the Largest MB dealer in the US) I am curious what else they come up with.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The Emerald Cruiser - my 2024 GLE 350
Originally Posted by jchiu52
I don't see why that would be the case. My first order was on a train that derailed, so I never got that one. The deposit was transferred to the second order and everything was hunky dory. The deposit is 100% refundable, at least that's what I was told. In other words, you can put down a deposit, change your mind, and get your money back.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:19 AM

ML350
Originally Posted by bud.jones
I don't see why that would be the case. My first order was on a train that derailed, so I never got that one. The deposit was transferred to the second order and everything was hunky dory. The deposit is 100% refundable, at least that's what I was told. In other words, you can put down a deposit, change your mind, and get your money back.
Hi, did they at least compensate you somehow after what happened? Even though that was a totally different case, accidents do happen vs. Dealer screw up.

Btw, just curious, i saw that you have Parktronic, how do you rate it? Is it a must. I really like the 360 camera thou.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The Emerald Cruiser - my 2024 GLE 350
Originally Posted by gunbound1989
Hi, did they at least compensate you somehow after what happened? Even though that was a totally different case, accidents do happen vs. Dealer screw up.

Btw, just curious, i saw that you have Parktronic, how do you rate it? Is it a must. I really like the 360 camera thou.
Well, I got a pretty good deal with USAA, so I didn't ask for anything special. My first order was a customized dealer order - doing it that way gets it to you faster than a "normal" custom order. I haven't used Parktronic yet, but I do like the backup camera with the guide lines. The option I like best is the Harmon Kardon premium audio. I have between a 45 minute to hour drive to and from work, depending on weather and traffic (yes, people here in Honolulu slow to a crawl in the rain), and having the Harmon Kardon audio is a real plus. The seats are really comfortable, the ride is spectacular, and the audio is like icing on the cake

EDIT: I'll tell what's strange. The original order is listed on my dealership's website as "in transit" still, even though I was told it was totaled. My car is no longer listed.

Last edited by bud.jones; 04-06-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 AM

2014 mercedes ml350
that car at lease 6k off msrp
Old 04-06-2014, 01:20 AM

2014 mercedes ml350
i agree with you. before i got the ml350. i order the glk350. because of the size and comfort.
then i pick the ml350
Old 04-06-2014, 01:22 AM

I agree... how much is another 2 months worth to you? I'd ask for 12% off and possibly push for a free maintenance plan covered by the dealership for the two extra months of waiting and see what they go for. In retro spec, considering your original planned purchasing price, you may be "getting paid" to wait another 2 months while the new order comes in.

Original Price vs Post Screw Up Price... leverage!

Don't try to bleed them though. Just a chance to earn your business this time and potentially down the road. Accidents do happen but they need to be sorted properly.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:47 AM

ML350
I agree... how much is another 2 months worth to you? I'd ask for 12% off and possibly push for a free maintenance plan covered by the dealership for the two extra months of waiting and see what they go for. In retro spec, considering your original planned purchasing price, you may be "getting paid" to wait another 2 months while the new order comes in.

Original Price vs Post Screw Up Price... leverage!

Don't try to bleed them though. Just a chance to earn your business this time and potentially down the road. Accidents do happen but they need to be sorted properly.
It's actually a good idea. How much is another 2 months worth? First, I know I have to rent another car while waiting for the new order. I sold my current car and they will be picking it by the end of April. So I will be without a car for a month or so. I planned it too tightly and now it coming back to bite me

Off topic, I just found out a nearby dealer have a similar built. However, its priced at 70k (it loaded with pretty much every options), almost at ML550 territory. I am little torn.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:12 AM

ML350
Originally Posted by bud.jones
Well, I got a pretty good deal with USAA, so I didn't ask for anything special. My first order was a customized dealer order - doing it that way gets it to you faster than a "normal" custom order. I haven't used Parktronic yet, but I do like the backup camera with the guide lines. The option I like best is the Harmon Kardon premium audio. I have between a 45 minute to hour drive to and from work, depending on weather and traffic (yes, people here in Honolulu slow to a crawl in the rain), and having the Harmon Kardon audio is a real plus. The seats are really comfortable, the ride is spectacular, and the audio is like icing on the cake

EDIT: I'll tell what's strange. The original order is listed on my dealership's website as "in transit" still, even though I was told it was totaled. My car is no longer listed.
Thanks Bud. I heard nothing but rave about the Harmon Kardon. I read somewhere that it's actually the most powerful HK system across the models (830 watts).
Old 04-06-2014, 02:16 AM

It's actually a good idea. How much is another 2 months worth? First, I know I have to rent another car while waiting for the new order. I sold my current car and they will be picking it by the end of April. So I will be without a car for a month or so. I planned it too tightly and now it coming back to bite me

Off topic, I just found out a nearby dealer have a similar built. However, its priced at 70k (it loaded with pretty much every options), almost at ML550 territory. I am little torn.
I didn't realize you dropped your other car. They might feel even more obligated to help you at this point than anything.

First off, I'd talk only with the general manager or general sales manager. I would request the following due to their enormous screw up at this point seeing as you sold your other vehicle and are now completely car-less pending your ORDERED vehicle through them:

1). Request a better % off your vehicle. I suggest shooting for 10-12% as mentioned before.
2). Don't try for the prepaid maintenance but rather the free first oil change. That shouldn't been an issue at all.
3). Since you're out of a car and it's entirely they're fault you're not in a NEW ONE... convince them to give you one of their loaner cars while you wait for the new order to arrive. I had a dealer do this for me back about 4 years ago when they really screwed up a dealer located car for me. I ordered a black on black car and the car that arrived was a USED car that was red on white. I waited 1.3 months for a new one to arrive off the boat and they provided me with a service loaner the entire time. The cars are leased from MB anyway so having it being used by you or another customer of theirs is no difference. This should be easy for them to do especially if they want to earn your business.

If they can conform to all 3, I'd say give them another shot and wait the 2 months. With them giving you a car to drive free of charge for the wait coupled with the extra discount off MSRP... you'd be making off quite well for their mistake.

In regards to the $70k car... keep in mind that there is about 12.50% + $750 mark up in these cars. Can't count the $750 because it's SUPER rare a dealer will let that go in a deal but yeah.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 AM

ML350
I didn't realize you dropped your other car. They might feel even more obligated to help you at this point than anything.

First off, I'd talk only with the general manager or general sales manager. I would request the following due to their enormous screw up at this point seeing as you sold your other vehicle and are now completely car-less pending your ORDERED vehicle through them:

1). Request a better % off your vehicle. I suggest shooting for 10-12% as mentioned before.
2). Don't try for the prepaid maintenance but rather the free first oil change. That shouldn't been an issue at all.
3). Since you're out of a car and it's entirely they're fault you're not in a NEW ONE... convince them to give you one of their loaner cars while you wait for the new order to arrive. I had a dealer do this for me back about 4 years ago when they really screwed up a dealer located car for me. I ordered a black on black car and the car that arrived was a USED car that was red on white. I waited 1.3 months for a new one to arrive off the boat and they provided me with a service loaner the entire time. The cars are leased from MB anyway so having it being used by you or another customer of theirs is no difference. This should be easy for them to do especially if they want to earn your business.

If they can conform to all 3, I'd say give them another shot and wait the 2 months. With them giving you a car to drive free of charge for the wait coupled with the extra discount off MSRP... you'd be making off quite well for their mistake.

In regards to the $70k car... keep in mind that there is about 12.50% + $750 mark up in these cars. Can't count the $750 because it's SUPER rare a dealer will let that go in a deal but yeah.
PureNick, is markup pretty much a given with the ML?? As far as I know, it only happens if there a limited production. The new ML has been in the market for 2 years now... so
Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 PM

2014 ML550
PureNick, is markup pretty much a given with the ML?? As far as I know, it only happens if there a limited production. The new ML has been in the market for 2 years now... so
I have found NADA to have very accurate pricing across manufacturers. I used it when negotiating with my dealer. nadaguides dot com

On my ML550, the MSRP was about 7% over Invoice price. MB has a 3% holdback. So in reality, about 10% is what they make. And most dealerships are rarely willing to get into their holdback fees much.

fabbrisd1 keep me honest......

Last edited by yorken; 04-06-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 04-07-2014, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Noting about honesty - but to Mr OC - you need to sit down with Fletcher and work it out - if there is another candidate in the area - then they will secure it for you and you can be driving it in 48 hrs ... that is that....
Old 04-07-2014, 10:54 AM

wife's car2014 ml350
make them give u a loaner ml350 until your new car arrives and a huge discount
Old 04-07-2014, 01:24 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
All this talk about "make them", "convince them", "If I were you..." is jibberish. It's easy to say what you'd do or tell someone else to be a big bad dude with the offending dealer.

A loaner seems fair. Maybe even a free A/B service (worth $200-300). Just explain your situation and I'm sure they'll work it out. Be specific with what you want because the dealer is not a mind reader.

As for dealer profit, it is way beyond 10% (invoice vs msrp + holdback). Dealers get large bonuses for every car they sell and milestones hit.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GL 450
They told me they can't guarantee any discount unless the car is here.
That alone would end the conversation with me. I would walk away -- and I'd make sure the sales manager knew I was doing it (just in case they had a sudden change of heart as I headed to the parking lot).

Last edited by ciparis; 04-07-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
It will work OK for the OP - they will secure a acceptable replacement available now - I guess most here don't understand the "scale" of Fletcher Jones - they have 40 ML's in stock- or for them that's low inventory - with another 30-50 scheduled for factory delivery to the dealership in the next 3 weeks... this whole thing is a screw up internally between FJ sales and inventory management - the solution is a ML that they can deliver this month and frankly that is not a problem for them..
Old 04-12-2014, 06:47 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Fletcher Jones is not the same dealership it used to be. Too many games in my recent experiences. MB in Laguna is a solid option. YMMV