M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

2014 ML350 - Hitch Install - SAM Update?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350
2014 ML350 - Hitch Install - SAM Update?!?!

All

Thanks for taking time to read this and supply and feedback you have.

Like many of the threads I have read on the forum I am hoping to install a hitch and 7pin wiring harness capable of powering the lights and brakes on my 19' AirStream. I contacted MB service to price this out and received the expected $2500 quote which I just can't swallow. So I am researching how to DIY this project.

Right now my primary question for the project is regarding the rear SAM.
Can anyone confirm if the rear SAM requires an update or replacement?

The rest of the details regarding the hitch, controllers, etc I have found already on this great forum. However, if there are any other glaring issues I should not over look please feel free to share this info as well.

Thanks all in advance!!
Eric
Old 04-11-2014, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
There are two "paths"... if you have a ML350 without factory hitch package, then your ML does not have internal wiring harness for the hitch - and does not have the MB rear SAM for the hitch.

1) You can have a aftermarket Curt hitch installed by a competent aftermarket installed - and for lights/electric brakes - he will add a aftermarket wiring adapter module - and he will have to run the necessary wiring up thru the ML for correct wiring connection. My contractor would charge me about $800 for that job - of that approximately $270 is parts cost hitch.wiring-adapter-module - and the rest his 3-4 hrs labor to do the hookup but he is a meticulous installer and that's good-by-me.

2) The SAM adds designated trailer control to ML system - meaning the ML knows when the trailer is hooked up - and the ML will "react" differently - stuff like anti-see-saw brake assist - stuff like that - and that SAM has a MB cost of $900 for the part if I recall correcctly and that trailer-SAM replaces the "standard-rear-SAM installed at the factory - and again the installer has to add wiring and the trailer-SAM doesn't really make the job more-or-less labor wise.

Overall - yes - the factory installed hitch package is a top value - the factory hitch is awesome.

Yes - $2500 for installed factory hitch + rear SAM is frankly spot-on - if that is what you are shooting for...

Keep the beat !
Old 05-04-2014, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350bt
I own a 2013 ML350 BT and did not make the original purchase with the factory hitch installed. Since now I am planning to get a Thule bike rack & have to get a hitch installed for this bike rack. The dealer quoted me $1200 for the hitch and 800 for installation. A 3rd part reputed installer quoted around $500 as a package ( for hitch and installation). I am confused as as getting mixed messages that 3rd party cannot install a hitch as we have a suspension package and there is no space to install a 3rd part hitch, I dont need any wiring as this is for a bike rack only. Also will this void the warranty. Any ideas and inputs will help.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If you do not need wiring - then go 3rd part - about $500 is correct for that.

Note - you need to know if you need a "small" receiver - since aftermarket hitch has "large" receiver - then you can use a adapter to scale down - the hitch guy will understand.