ML350 - Brand new - Ticking noise when idling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
ML350 - Brand new - Ticking noise when idling

Hey everyone

I did my homework a bit to see if I could figure out whether this is an expected sound or not but didn't find anything conclusive for a brand new 2014 ML350.

When I start up the engine, I hear a low ticking noise. I turned off the air/music and the only sound left in the cabin was just this ticking noise. If I rev up the engine a bit, the noise becomes faster, so as I am stepping on the accelerator, the tick-tick-tick-tick sound gets faster.

I was not expecting this sound but I heard this might be related to Direct fuel injection engines? I am not an auto-expert so thought I'd ask if others with newer vehicles have experienced this and if it is actually a problem or not?

I have an appointment with service tomorrow but I am pretty disappointed that I have barely had the car for a few days and I already noticed a problem

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
Yeah, it's just a characteristic of a direct injection engine, nothing to worry about.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:11 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by bb1510
Yeah, it's just a characteristic of a direct injection engine, nothing to worry about.
That's what they said too after inspecting it. I had them turn on another ML350 in the lot, it had a lot less obvious sound level. Like we had to try really hard to hear that sound. But in my SUV it was pretty clear, didn't have to strain my ears.

That being said I am so freaking pi$$ed right now. They washed my car for me but on my drive back I noticed a pretty decent (a little more than 4 inches) scratch on the windshield. I don't know if it was not cleaned properly and will come off but I am in a rage right now. I tried removing it with a Microfiber cloth but it won't come off. It is in a straight vertical line and pretty obvious when I am driving (right in my vision).

I called them up once I got to work but yet to hear back from them.

Farkkkkk. The suv is 1 week old today and they scratched up the windshield?.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Sorry to hear about the windshield. I have "do not wash car" in my profile with both dealers here.
Once in a while, they wash it.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by dawizard
That's what they said too after inspecting it. I had them turn on another ML350 in the lot, it had a lot less obvious sound level. Like we had to try really hard to hear that sound. But in my SUV it was pretty clear, didn't have to strain my ears.

That being said I am so freaking pi$$ed right now. They washed my car for me but on my drive back I noticed a pretty decent (a little more than 4 inches) scratch on the windshield. I don't know if it was not cleaned properly and will come off but I am in a rage right now. I tried removing it with a Microfiber cloth but it won't come off. It is in a straight vertical line and pretty obvious when I am driving (right in my vision).

I called them up once I got to work but yet to hear back from them.

Farkkkkk. The suv is 1 week old today and they scratched up the windshield?.

NEVER EVER allow them to wash you vehical. Like the other poster when you take it in for service make sure they write in big letters DO NOT WASH on the ticket or they will just wash it anyway!.

You will have to persist that the dealer replace your windshield, they are not going to do it without you barking loud!

Last edited by GregGebhardt; 07-25-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by GregGebhardt
You will have to persist that the dealer replace your windshield, they are not going to do it without you barking loud!
I agree with this entirely and the sooner you start barking, the better chance you have of a good outcome. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:28 PM

With regards to the ticking sound, I had them compare my bluetec with another bluetec back when I first purchased it cause I noticed mine was extra loud compared to other ones. They came back and told me that every engine is different and they can't do anything about it. Sucks how it's almost truck like.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:29 PM

ML350
Okay so I may have had a complete over-reaction / freakout but to be fair, I was really really upset.

I spent a good 1 hour during lunch time at work cleaning this up and it was a spot from inside the car. They must have left that smudge wiping the from inside. Took a lot of work but so far I don't see it, will try again once the car is out of the garage and hope not to see it.

For the record I did call their service manager and left a message telling them what happened as soon as I got here. Also took some photos of the supposed scratch.

But I guess I now know what true love is? Nobody puts baby in the corner or a scratch on her windshield
Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 PM

Okay so I may have had a complete over-reaction / freakout but to be fair, I was really really upset.

I spent a good 1 hour during lunch time at work cleaning this up and it was a spot from inside the car. They must have left that smudge wiping the from inside. Took a lot of work but so far I don't see it, will try again once the car is out of the garage and hope not to see it.

For the record I did call their service manager and left a message telling them what happened as soon as I got here. Also took some photos of the supposed scratch.

But I guess I now know what true love is? Nobody puts baby in the corner or a scratch on her windshield
Not really over-reacting; I had the same concerns with my vehicle when it was new.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by GregGebhardt
NEVER EVER allow them to wash you vehical. Like the other poster when you take it in for service make sure they write in big letters DO NOT WASH on the ticket or they will just wash it anyway!.

Do Mercedes dealers have car washes that are less gentle than other car washes?
Old 07-25-2014, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
.... Nobody puts baby in the corner .....

I see what you did there.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 AM

ML350
Originally Posted by bb1510
They came back and told me that every engine is different and they can't do anything about it. Sucks how it's almost truck like.
Sigh....wish I was prepared for this beforehand, no problem I guess. I'd rather that than them finding issues with a brand new engine.

Originally Posted by DFW01E55
I am glad someone got it
Old 07-28-2014, 05:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
Do Mercedes dealers have car washes that are less gentle than other car washes?
All depends on the dealer. So use touch less car washes but then have an employee grab a sponge out of a sand infested bucket to give it a last scrub down. Just one piece of sand can cause a lot of damage. Black exteriors will show everything so beware.