First problem with Mercedes Benz!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
First problem with Mercedes Benz!

Nope, the ML350BT is working perfectly!

Problem is that my "trial period" is ending for the mBrace thing and I called to have my credit card number removed and asked if they would send me a bill to pay by check instead. They flat out refused and told me that they had to use the "auto-renew" credit card only and would NOT bill me.

I have a thing about the "auto-renew" thing and hate to leave my credit card number anywhere as I have had my company credit card scammed for over $40,000 in the past. The money was returned but it was a nightmare that I am trying to avoid again.

The mBrace person basically said take it of leave it so I told her to shove it! I now have zero services. That warm and fuzzy Mercedes feeling has gone away!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:30 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Did you get an email from MB advising that mbrace trial period was ending? Our dealer said we would get a notice that trial was ending and that we'd a chance to call/cancel before it auto-renewed and charged our card - we've had the car almost 2 months now and haven't used any mbrace features.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:45 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by audi40
Did you get an email from MB advising that mbrace trial period was ending? Our dealer said we would get a notice that trial was ending and that we'd a chance to call/cancel before it auto-renewed and charged our card - we've had the car almost 2 months now and haven't used any mbrace features.
Yes, the letter came yesterday so I called them to stop the auto renew and have my credit card removed. I asked if I could either make a one time payment on a credit card or them send me a bill so I could write them a check. The nice mBrace person said no and that if I would not agree to THEIR terms, services would be removed. I have not used any of their features either but there were some emergency features I thought might be worth it. Now I will just die quietly on that lonely road, in peace!

I actually wanted the services and was more than happy to pay for them but not with the auto-renew feature. Heck, I would have paid for a couple of years in advance but now I have nothing.

What nice people we are to deal with. I will do without!

Last edited by GregGebhardt; 07-25-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:25 AM

ML350 BTC & C300
Will they let you use a prepaid Visa card?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by xMB007x
Will they let you use a prepaid Visa card?
Great idea! They have no way of knowing if the card number you give them is a prepaid or not! ...just don't forget to add money to it when you get the renewal notice next year. But as you've noted your risk for illegal unauthorized charges is zero.

You might also apply for a new card at another bank, and when you get it, call the issuer and have them drop the credit line to $2000. Then that's the card you use at any vendor on line you think might put you at risk.

BTW MBrace is like insurance. It makes you feel safer, but you will never likely use it after the honeymoon period. Thats why they should charge you yearly for 3 years, and then be no charge for the time you own that car. Everyone would likely have it & pay for 3 years and after that, it costs them nothing anyway to have you as a basically a name on a mailing list to sell you something else as they would contact you anyway to ask you if you want to keep your no charge coverage. Most but not all people are on to the next car at 3 years anyway!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:47 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Great idea! They have no way of knowing if the card number you give them is a prepaid or not! ...just don't forget to add money to it when you get the renewal notice next year. But as you've noted your risk for illegal unauthorized charges is zero.

You might also apply for a new card at another bank, and when you get it, call the issuer and have them drop the credit line to $2000. Then that's the card you use at any vendor on line you think might put you at risk.

BTW MBrace is like insurance. It makes you feel safer, but you will never likely use it after the honeymoon period. Thats why they should charge you yearly for 3 years, and then be no charge for the time you own that car. Everyone would likely have it & pay for 3 years and after that, it costs them nothing anyway to have you as a basically a name on a mailing list to sell you something else as they would contact you anyway to ask you if you want to keep your no charge coverage. Most but not all people are on to the next car at 3 years anyway!
Prepaid card is a good idea.

More I think about it I have always bought these plans from Lexus and never had to use them. I

I will think about it over the weekend to decide if I even want to embrace mBrace! Like I said once the warm and fuzzy feeling is gone, it does not come back!