Need helping deciding on ML-350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML-350, Audi Q7, Ford Taurus
Need helping deciding on ML-350

Looking for a 2012 ML-350 or 2012 X5
I don't care about speed, I want luxury and safety and that's another reason I'm leaning towards the ML-350.

Questions
What are some of the standard packages? I'm surprised Keyless Go is not available on most ML-350... is that even possible?
packages I want
- Keyless Go, HID, Pana Roof, Rear Camera, Blindspot

Is Active Park Assist standard? i'm not seeing where it's listed, what about blindspot warning?

Sorry for so many questions... hopefully someone can tell me why ML-350 is a better choice.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Which one do you like better? Best choice is dependent on what you want.

Based on what said. ML is better because X5 will be a harsh ride but it handles better.

Read the threads here and you'll find all the info you want on every option, even options you don't know exist.

Have you driven both?
Old 08-01-2014, 06:41 PM

Yes I have and I couldn't tell much difference, I find the ride very similar in my opinion that's why I am looking ar features and safety.
There are some great standard features on the x5 and vice versa. Prices for 2012 about the same price between the the two
Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 PM
27T

13ML BT
Is turning radius important to you? Drive the X5 again and try to park it, do a few u-turns, etc. X5 turning radius horrendous and is a deal killer for me. Not doing that again.

Finding a 2012 ML with Keyless Go, HID, Pana Roof, Blindspot ain't gonna be easy but they are out there. HID and Pano are rare. Most don't even have keyless or blindspot. Park assist is is an option. You might as well buy new and order it because many of us got 10-14% off.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
'16 Jaguar F-Type R, '21 GLE63s
Originally Posted by eggyacid
Looking for a 2012 ML-350 or 2012 X5
I don't care about speed, I want luxury and safety and that's another reason I'm leaning towards the ML-350.

Questions
What are some of the standard packages? I'm surprised Keyless Go is not available on most ML-350... is that even possible?
packages I want
- Keyless Go, HID, Pana Roof, Rear Camera, Blindspot

Is Active Park Assist standard? i'm not seeing where it's listed, what about blindspot warning?

Sorry for so many questions... hopefully someone can tell me why ML-350 is a better choice.
Keyless go is not std on ML350s and is not part of any package. It had to be special ordered as a separate item. Keyless go comes std on higher end models (ml400/550/63)

Blindspot is part of either the Lane tracking package or the Driver's assistance package.

Active park assist is optional and is only std on the ML63

HIDs are part of the lighting package and only std on the ML63

Rear camera is part of the P1 package

In short, none of the options you are looking for were/are std on the ML350 but could be ordered. You will probably have a difficult time finding a fully loaded ML350 with everything you want.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 GLS 450
I'm pretty sure that Keyless Go can be bought at any time as an accessory. It's just a button that just goes in where otherwise the key goes. The only downside buying it later is that you don't get the chrome accents on the door handles that come with factory ordered Keyless Go. Here are some with Driver Assistance Package which I think is a big safety feature: Autotrader Search

Last edited by Strafzettel; 08-01-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
No - keyless go cannot be added after-build - you can add 3rd party remote start after-build.

A perspective ..the 2012 ML350 was the intro/start of the 3rd generation ML - the 2014 X5 replaces their earlier generation - ... beginning of newest generation or near-tail old generation ... your decision..
Old 08-02-2014, 06:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
OT but why did my 2014 ML350BT come with an extra GO button? I was waiting on someone and while sitting in the ML I opened the ash tray and there was an extra Keyless Go button on the tray?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
'16 Jaguar F-Type R, '21 GLE63s
Originally Posted by GregGebhardt
OT but why did my 2014 ML350BT come with an extra GO button? I was waiting on someone and while sitting in the ML I opened the ash tray and there was an extra Keyless Go button on the tray?
Probably just a mistake. Car usually only comes with one button.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:21 PM

Looking at few ML-350 4matics

How can o tell if the car has HID or not? It's hard to tell in the day light? Is the a quick way to identify it? Such as if it has xxx then it will have HID?

How about active park assist?

Thank you, getting close. Just looking to get one with all the options I want
Old 08-02-2014, 04:51 PM

2017 GLS 450
Looking at few ML-350 4matics

How can o tell if the car has HID or not? It's hard to tell in the day light? Is the a quick way to identify it? Such as if it has xxx then it will have HID?

Thank you, getting close. Just looking to get one with all the options I want
They either have Lighting Package or not. It's easy to tell when you look at them. Without Lighting Package it looks like there are two lamps inside the lamp. With the Lighting Package there seems to be only one lamp and the blinker looks like a big eye-lash on top.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:56 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLE 450

There will be round sensors in the front/rear bumpers & a little black ridge (see below) on the top center of the dash. I used ours today for the first time...used it to back into a very wide open curb spot, no problem, second time was a little tighter and as it was backing in, the right front sensor started alarming that it was close to the car we were pulling in behind...wife started screaming that I was going to crash her car, so we aborted the attempt and headed on to our destination. Will take some more testing/getting used to
Attached Thumbnails Need helping deciding on ML-350-screenshot002.jpg  
Old 08-03-2014, 08:05 PM

I guess I'll have to go with aftermarket HIDs... None of the ones I found has it.

Want
- active park assist (parallel park)
- panoramic roof

Need
- push button start
- moon roof
- 4 matic
- hitch
- nav, rear camera
- lane keep/blind spot
- distronic plus (I thought this is standard, can't tell if the car has it or not)

I guess I've found the car, it has everything I need except for distronic plus (sales person doesn't know if it has it or not)

Hoping to pull the trigger sometimes in the next 2 weeks. 2012 model with 37k miles

Anything else I should look for or watch out for?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:15 PM
27T

13ML BT
I guess I'll have to go with aftermarket HIDs... None of the ones I found has it.

Want
- panoramic roof

Need
- push button start
- moon roof
- 4 matic
- hitch
- nav, rear camera
- lane keep/blind spot
- distronic plus (I thought this is standard, can't tell if the car has it or not)

I guess I've found the car, it has everything I need except for distronic plus (sales person doesn't know if it has it or not)

Hoping to pull the trigger sometimes in the next 2 weeks. 2012 model with 37k miles

An easy-ish way to find out if it has distronic is the MB logo on the front is smooth rather than 3D, best explanation I can give (post photos for help). There is another option called lane tracking that does give blind spot and lane keeping alerts. Distronic just makes it more advanced (active) plus adds pre-collision (in 2012) and AAC.

I don't know of anyone who uses the active park. If you have it on another car and it is a must have then fine but I wouldn't say it is a deal killer if never used before...maybe you just want park sensors, so you get both.

Do a search for pano roof and see people's opinions about it. 1. It is two windows (not one huge), 2. in sunny areas, the cover maybe me too thin (it was for me and others but ok for the rest.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:04 PM

2017 GLS 450

Want
- panoramic roof

Need
- push button start
- moon roof
- 4 matic
- hitch
- nav, rear camera
- lane keep/blind spot

After Market HID's might not be a good idea

Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ml350
Good luck in getting a low mileage 2012 ML350 BT for less than $43K and then add $2K for an extended MB warranty. You can find a few on the lots now for $50-$57K depending on the options. The #1 exporter request is panoramic roof.

I own an ML350 gas and a ML350 BT. The BT is the clear winner. Also had an X5 which is no comparison to either ML350 if you want to drive 12 hours and not have your butt hurt and feel the drive was a pleasure.

BTW, the BT gets 30mpg on a trip and 24 around town.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM

ML350
I recently got my 2014 ML350 with Panoramic roof.

I was on the fence about it since I live in Sunny California but it was the best decision I made, to get it with the Pano roof.

The mesh that covers it is thin but you'll be surprised how effective it is. It helps feel like the car has plenty of room and has enough shade that even if the car is out in the Sun I don't get too much heat through it. I love having the option vs not having it at all.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by dawizard
I recently got my 2014 ML350 with Panoramic roof.

I was on the fence about it since I live in Sunny California but it was the best decision I made, to get it with the Pano roof.

The mesh that covers it is thin but you'll be surprised how effective it is. It helps feel like the car has plenty of room and has enough shade that even if the car is out in the Sun I don't get too much heat through it. I love having the option vs not having it at all.
I was going to take my new ML350 to a window tint shop to darken the sunroof to deal with any extra heat. After a month I gave up on the idea as there was very little heat and like you said the mesh cover does great!

I have a 2013 Cayanne and you could feel the head from the pano roof and the AC seem to struggle to maintain cool temps without high fan speeds. Not the case with the ML350.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM

2014 ML350 4M
Originally Posted by GregGebhardt
I was going to take my new ML350 to a window tint shop to darken the sunroof to deal with any extra heat. After a month I gave up on the idea as there was very little heat and like you said the mesh cover does great!

I have a 2013 Cayanne and you could feel the head from the pano roof and the AC seem to struggle to maintain cool temps without high fan speeds. Not the case with the ML350.
You can try finding a tint shop that offers Llumar AirBlue 80 which is almost clear ceramic tint. I put that on the rear windows and windshield since they are only privacy glass without heat/UV blocking property (or just minimal) and don't want them to be any darker than current. The car is noticeably cooler compared to before tinted after parking in direct sunlight. I think it would be a perfect tint to apply to sunroof glasses.