Rattle in Rear Seats - Some Help Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML63
Rattle in Rear Seats - Some Help Needed

Hello All,

I have spent several weeks trying to get to the bottom of a rattle coming from the rear. I think I was finally able to isolate it to the vibrating back panel on the rear seats (see attachment). If I punch it lightly with a finger, it elastically bends back and forth in a very short span, but that’s enough to make a rattling noise. It appears that this panel is not glued properly, or otherwise affixed to the surface.

I would be grateful to you, W166 owners, if you could perform a quick test with your rear seats and advise me on whether or not this panel makes any noise (or vibrates/bounces) when you flick it somewhere around the middle. This would greatly help have a meaningful conversation with a service advisor.

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Rattle in Rear Seats - Some Help Needed-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Terminator2029; 08-14-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:56 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
tried on mine and didnt get it to do any noise. I have 2 baby seats with top tethers tied to the hooks so maybe that holds it better in place?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:59 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
No sound from mine. Does not seem to flex.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
No noise in mine from the seatback..

However, on occasion the cargo cover will rattle if it's left open and in a position in which the stops on the cover make contact with the metal bar that the cover rolls up into. I hope this makes sense.. I first noticed this about a year ago and it drove me nuts, at first I also thought it was a panel..

Anyway, could it be this??
Old 08-14-2014, 01:12 PM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Cyber GS
No noise in mine from the seatback..

However, on occasion the cargo cover will rattle if it's left open and in a position in which the stops on the cover make contact with the metal bar that the cover rolls up into. I hope this makes sense.. I first noticed this about a year ago and it drove me nuts, at first I also thought it was a panel..

Anyway, could it be this??
Yep, the first thing I did was get the caqrgo cover out on my new ML as it was useless to me. Back glass and back window is tinted so dark from the factory, just not worth it to me.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Yes there is an outer and inner panel it seems at very near proximity..with slight tapping they can be made to hit each other and cause a mild clicking noise...I've never noticed nor heard any noise from mine but now will be listening for any so thanks for that..

j/k mine is quiet..drive a screw into it
Old 08-14-2014, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
These vehicles are so quiet any incidental noises are readily noticed
Old 08-15-2014, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by GregGebhardt
Yep, the first thing I did was get the caqrgo cover out on my new ML as it was useless to me. Back glass and back window is tinted so dark from the factory, just not worth it to me.
Well it was worth a try, good luck trying to get it resolved..
Old 08-15-2014, 07:58 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Well it was worth a try, good luck trying to get it resolved..
I am not the one with the problem. No noise from mine.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nanook
These vehicles are so quiet any incidental noises are readily noticed
I actually find the opposite, in mine anyway.

My 2012 has its share of creaking interior parts/panels. I'm not talking about an occasional noise, I'm talking about anytime that there is any type of body flex. Over bumps or any uneven surface it creaks, on smooth roads/highways its tomb like, quiet as can be.

I've had it to the dealer several times over the years and while they easily duplicated the noises, the insulation they added to some panels really hasn't helped.

My wife even notices the creaking which says a lot because she usually never comments about noises in vehicles. And since she drives the ML 90% of the time, and is much better at "tuning things out" (probably because she's married to me) it doesn't bother her that much. So I have also learned to live with the noises, but if this was my daily driver it would have drove me nuts.

Even other ML's (W164's & W166"s) I have driven make a lot more noise from the interior panels that I would have expected.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:09 AM

I am not the one with the problem. No noise from mine.
oopps, sorry about that I lost track..
Old 08-15-2014, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My 2012 has its share of creaking interior parts/panels. I'm not talking about an occasional noise, I'm talking about anytime that there is any type of body flex. Over bumps or any uneven surface it creaks, on smooth roads/highways its tomb like, quiet as can be.

I've had it to the dealer several times over the years and while they easily duplicated the noises, the insulation they added to some panels really hasn't helped.

My wife even notices the creaking which says a lot because she usually never comments about noises in vehicles. And since she drives the ML 90% of the time, and is much better at "tuning things out" (probably because she's married to me) it doesn't bother her that much. So I have also learned to live with the noises, but if this was my daily driver it would have drove me nuts.

Even other ML's (W164's & W166"s) I have driven make a lot more noise from the interior panels that I would have expected.
Mine is very quite..no panel noise..no chasis deflection noise..even with the 22" wheels, low profile tiles and wagon trails we drive on here...it's very rough but quiet
Old 08-15-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLS 450
It could be the retracted rear seatbelt is rattling against the "C" pillar. There's a small clip on the "C"pillar used to secure the seatbelt so the belt doesn't get caught when you fold and then raise the seat back.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:12 PM

ML63
Thanks everybody for your advice, insights and remarks in general!

I have double-checked – it is definitely not the rear seatbelt. The clip in question holds it well. The cargo cover also makes no noise or rattle.

As Nanook quite rightly pointed out, any noise gets quickly notable in the quietness of the ML W166 interior.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Terminator2029
Thanks everybody for your advice, insights and remarks in general!

I have double-checked – it is definitely not the rear seatbelt. The clip in question holds it well. The cargo cover also makes no noise or rattle.

As Nanook quite rightly pointed out, any noise gets quickly notable in the quietness of the ML W166 interior.
I can reasonably assume the source of the noise you're hearing although I don't get that rattle from mine..did you try to see if it goes away with the seatback folded forward ? If you prefer not to offer the opportunity of repair to the dealer I'd suggest maybe applying some heat via a heatgun to that panel and by possibly moderately altering the physical characteristic will stop if from rattling..just a thought
Old 08-16-2014, 06:35 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
A little off topic but I remember one of my LX570 unit's made a noise at the rear seat and I stopped it by reclining it into a different position. The noise after months never returned.

Just a thought.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:02 PM

ML63
A little off topic but I remember one of my LX570 unit's made a noise at the rear seat and I stopped it by reclining it into a different position. The noise after months never returned.

That's a very good point! I will definitely try that.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:06 PM

ML63
Originally Posted by Nanook
I can reasonably assume the source of the noise you're hearing although I don't get that rattle from mine..did you try to see if it goes away with the seatback folded forward ? If you prefer not to offer the opportunity of repair to the dealer I'd suggest maybe applying some heat via a heatgun to that panel and by possibly moderately altering the physical characteristic will stop if from rattling..just a thought
I do indeed want to perform some assessment before allowing anybody to touch my car. Your ideas help provide options that I can try - and much appreciated!
Old 08-17-2014, 02:27 PM

2014 ML350 W166
I had Front Seat Noise

I developed an annoying click/creak sound in my left front seat. I was very worried about getting a proper repair as it was an intermittent issue that required a rough road surface and or a pitching motion caused by a road with twists and moderate inclines.

The QC guy at my dealership was aware of the issue and knew it was seat frame mounting related. They lubricated and adjusted the seat frame. However, they found that the problem was still there so they replaced the seat frame. That took care of it.

If you or anyone is having some interior noise that seems front seat related, this info may help to guide your dealer to a quick repair.

Best of luck to all!
Old 05-01-2023, 10:35 AM

‘15 ML 350 Blue Tec

Just a thought.

EDIT: This was not the fix.
I heard the rattling from the rear seats again... My suspicion is the pillar on the floor behind the rear seats ... theres a white trim plastic clip that goes into a black plastic looking box by the top of the spare tire and the clip appears to not fit correctly in the plastic box (causing unnecessary play) I changed the clip to a bigger one and now it sits more tight. Hopefully this was it.

Last edited by greed_95; 05-02-2023 at 05:55 PM.