ECO Mode Engine Stop/Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
ECO Mode Engine Stop/Start

Does anybody know if the ECO Mode Engine Stop/Start has to be turned off again each time you return to the car and re-start the car, or can it be permanently turned off by pressing the button only one time?

Living in S. Florida it is not the most brilliant idea as the a/c blower goes to low and can only blow residual cool from the evaporator when the engine shuts off at each light. A/C is a year round thing here, and afternoons can be tough inside a car with such a large volume to cool.

BMW now allows dealers to modify their Eco Stop Start upon customer request:
Some drivers have expressed the desire to deactivate this function in certain situations. This can be done manually via the Automatic Start/Stop function button with the LED switched on, indicating that the start/stop function is deactivated.

From a BMW Service Bulletin article ... "However, by default, the Automatic Start/Stop function is reactivated each time the engine is started.

At the request of an owner, it is possible to modify this default logic to “Last user mode.”

With this logic, the current MSA’s activated or deactivated setting is stored and used on the next trip.

Note: All new BMW M models have the “Last user mode” as the default setting from production. "

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 09-14-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
You have to hit the button each time you start the car....
Old 09-16-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350 bluetec
I came back from Europe in July, all the Mercs I was in had that Eco Mode. My drivers in each of Russia, Sweden and the UK, all had S-Classes. None of them needed to push anything except the gas pedal to restart their vehicles, maybe that's an S-Class thing.
On the other hand, my driver in Denmark in an E-Class, had to continually press the button, and the E-Class seemed rather reluctant to start and I don't know what is so economical about that, since he rev'd the car every time.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Mercedes E250
I find the Eco Mode to be a minor nuisance that I'd rather not have. I've gotten use to pushing the button to turn it off as part of my start up routine. I will definitely ask the dealer if there is a way to change the default behavior so it's on only if I turn it on. The manual says this mode is to reduce air pollution, not save fuel. I've gotten slightly better fuel economy with it off, and it's nice not to have the split second of hesitation has the engine starts up. The stop-start must cause unnecessary wear and tear on the starter motor and flywheel. There's also a question of its effect on the diesel particulate filter, a very expensive component.