M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Yakima Whispbar Rack system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Yakima Whispbar Rack system

I have a 2013 ML350 that needs a rack. I currently purchased the Thule Aeroblade and, though it is supposed to be a good system, I am still getting whistling when I drive.

I have read that the Yamika Whispbar is slightly better where noise is concerned.
I am debating between the Whispbar Rail Bar that sits low to the roof or the Whispbar Flush Bar that sits slightly higher. Both attach to the factory rails.

Has anyone had experience with either of these? I want to carry a box and occasionally a bike (have a trailer hitch bike rack as well). Is the Rail Bar too low for the sunroof (not panoramic) to open? If I were to put a box on the rail bar would it hit the antenna on the roof? How is the noise level with either of these?

If anyone has any photos with the flush bar or the rail bar and any comments, it would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
I had the Thule AeroBlade Edge bars on my 2014, and they were completely silent at any speed. Did you mount them in the proper direction?
Old 10-23-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
I have the whisper bars..

They are quiet and fabulous.... But....

You can't open the sunroof with them over the front of the car.... I keep mine towards the back when not using.
Attached Thumbnails Yakima Whispbar Rack system-image.jpg  
Old 10-23-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Dutch- I have the Thule Aeroblade but not the edge version. It it the one with towers that attach to the side rails. Maybe I should move to the edge.

Cyclrder- glad to hear you like the Whispbar. Too bad about the sunroof issue, but probably worth it for no noise. Have you ever put a cargo box on? Just wondering if it would hit the antenna on the roof.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
Originally Posted by Ventas23
Dutch- I have the Thule Aeroblade but not the edge version. It it the one with towers that attach to the side rails. Maybe I should move to the edge.

Cyclrder- glad to hear you like the Whispbar. Too bad about the sunroof issue, but probably worth it for no noise. Have you ever put a cargo box on? Just wondering if it would hit the antenna on the roof.

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes... I use a Thule Spirit box that fits very nicely and low... It looks great. The clamps do get close to the roof when you install the box but are out of the way when tightened.... I'm going to switch to an adapter that will allow me to use the channel in the middle of the rack for a cleaner install. No matter what...it does negate the use of the sunroof. But for me, the quietness and better esthetic is more important than using the sunroof.