Reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 11:30 AM
jln

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 4Runner
Reliability?

It's time for a new SUV. I've put 150k miles on my '03 4Runner. Overall, it has been a reliable vehicle, with the only recurrent issues being frozen brake calipers. And, unfortunately, a rusted through frame -- we'll see if Toyota will help with that.

I'm considering a new 4Runner, a Lexus GX470, and an ML350 with the offroad package. I take my SUV on the beach for two weeks each summer. It's not heavy offroading, but it is possible to get stuck. So I think I want the offroad package with a locking center diff. Yes, I know it is a special order.

I drive in heavy stop and go traffic, so the Mercedes driver aids (distronic plus, brake hold, etc.) have a lot of appeal. Our Mercedes dealer is close and has treated my wife very well (she has a 2010 C-class). But I am concerned about reliability.

Consumer Reports (yeah, I know) shows the C-class to be very reliable and that has been true for my wife's car. But they show the ML as being less reliable. What has your experience been?

I do tend to keep my cars a long time. If I get an ML, I will get an extended warranty.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:58 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Although I have never owned one, from everything I have read the Lexus is more reliable, if that is your primary concern. Having said that, I can tell you that in the two and a half years I have owned my ML350 (gas version) I have not had a single problem of major significance. The only problem was shortly after getting it, I found the hatch would not open to the exact position I programmed. They replaced the right hatch shock and all has been well since. There was also a very small stress crack on the driver side mirror casing and it was replaced. These two items were under warranty.

I have been driving cars and trucks of all types and from all manufacturers over the past fifty years and the ML350 has been the best of them all - so far. Unlike you, I keep a car only until the warranty expires or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. In the case of this ML, I will get rid of it around the four year mark since I only have 21,000 miles on it now. Given my time frames and mileage criteria, any car should be reliable during the period I own it. Maybe I have been lucky with this ML but I would not hesitate to buy another.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
If it being the most dependable, then LEXUS without a doubt!

I have owned 10-15 Lexus and can not remember having any problems with any of them.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:05 PM
jln

'03 4Runner
I'm sure the GX would be more reliable. But will the ML be reliable enough? I think the Mercedes driver aids are a lot better developed than the GX. The GX is more rugged offroad, but it is more than I need and I think the ML will drive better onroad, which is where I spend most of my time.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:22 AM

2011 GL350BT
for the most part in my own experience ML isn't too bad with their reliability, however, if you opted for the diesel version, after warranty period is up it can give you some issues.. oil leak, AdBlue heater pump etc.. and these are all common issues
Old 11-08-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR GL
for the most part in my own experience ML isn't too bad with their reliability, however, if you opted for the diesel version, after warranty period is up it can give you some issues.. oil leak, AdBlue heater pump etc.. and these are all common issues
I second that! This is coming from an out of warranty diesel ML owner who had both of the issues mentioned
Old 11-08-2014, 10:47 AM

2011 GL350BT
not sure if they've done any improvement on the 2014 and 2015s yet.. but that's the reason why I had to get-rid of my GL350BT... costing way too much for repair... besides that I absolutely loved it!!
Old 11-08-2014, 11:53 AM
jln

'03 4Runner
I was going to skip the diesel. Diesel costs so much here in MA that you don't save a whole lot.

I just finished a test drive of the ML350 with my salesman friend -- we go back a long ways. He told me the same thing about the diesels and specifically mentioned the adblue system as being a trouble spot.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:38 PM

2011 GL350BT
the price of the diesel fuel cost more in MA? you'd easily get double the gas mileage on the Bluetec tho!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:38 PM

2014 ML 350 BT
I came from a 4Runner 2004 Limited 8 Cil and the Ml Diesel it is by far a better ride. I drive a lot (50K) so far and absolute no problems so far.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:43 PM

2011 GL350BT
Mine was great up until the warranty expired, then one thing after another
Old 11-09-2014, 06:17 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Originally Posted by jln
I was going to skip the diesel. Diesel costs so much here in MA that you don't save a whole lot.

I just finished a test drive of the ML350 with my salesman friend -- we go back a long ways. He told me the same thing about the diesels and specifically mentioned the adblue system as being a trouble spot.
I have not heard one person having a problem with the adblue system.

My bluetec is 2 years old and no probs with anything. However I only have 24,000 miles on it and I did purchase the 7/75 warranty.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Look into a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. It was developed when MB owned Chrysler. It is an ML that's been Chrysler-ized and is known for its off road abilities as well. The Head Unit w/ Nav from the factory (AN) is known as the industry's best one.

However the ML 350 has acceleration rates as good or better than the Jeep Hemi. The Jeep 6 Cyl is quick too, but has a less dependable transmission than the trans that the Hemi gets.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 2016 C3, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Look into a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. It was developed when MB owned Chrysler. It is an ML that's been Chrysler-ized and is known for its off road abilities as well. The Head Unit w/ Nav from the factory (AN) is known as the industry's best one.

However the ML 350 has acceleration rates as good or better than the Jeep Hemi. The Jeep 6 Cyl is quick too, but has a less dependable transmission than the trans that the Hemi gets.
Just stay away from the Grand Cherokee Diesel. They are having a load of problems with the engine and transmission.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:46 AM

2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jln

I'd say as a daily driver, you'll enjoy the ML more than the Lexus. I'm just used to the MB interiors, but I find the Lexus interiors to be of low quality.

If you're taking it on the beach(duxbury, the cape?), I'd invest a few grand in a beater 4wd beach wagon. I'll use the ML for most of my winter driving, but if things are really sh*tty I'll probably take the F250 with the locking diff. Nice to have a vehicle you don't have to worry about.
And nothing excites a spouse more than a beater truck appearing in the driveway.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 AM

2011 GL350BT
Originally Posted by 27T
I have not heard one person having a problem with the adblue system.

My bluetec is 2 years old and no probs with anything. However I only have 24,000 miles on it and I did purchase the 7/75 warranty.
the issues usually happen to the owners that have their Bluetecs for a bit longer. and it's not really the AdBlue that gives you issues, it's the intake manifold and turbo oil seals that would go first (MB always have kits in stock to repair those issues), as well as the AdBlue heater pump (usually goes at about 100K)

don't get me wrong, I loved my Bluetec for the power and fuel efficiency, and even just recently convinced my in-laws to get a 2015. I actually have more fun driving their ML350 than my 63, just cuz I can really push the truck harder without worrying about the gas mileage lol.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:28 AM

2011 GL350BT
Originally Posted by schorert1
I'd say as a daily driver, you'll enjoy the ML more than the Lexus. I'm just used to the MB interiors, but I find the Lexus interiors to be of low quality.

If you're taking it on the beach(duxbury, the cape?), I'd invest a few grand in a beater 4wd beach wagon. I'll use the ML for most of my winter driving, but if things are really sh*tty I'll probably take the F250 with the locking diff. Nice to have a vehicle you don't have to worry about.
And nothing excites a spouse more than a beater truck appearing in the driveway.
I know exactly how that feels of my wife's expression when looking at my truck taking up space on the driveway LOL
Old 11-10-2014, 01:03 PM

I know exactly how that feels of my wife's expression when looking at my truck taking up space on the driveway LOL
I had a 28' sport fisher occupying the space next to the garage for two years. within a month of that leaving, a good friend bought a new boat "well it's not coming HERE!" a week later it showed up.
much gnashing of teeth and grumbling ensued.
A week later the truck showed up "what teh f*(& is THAT thing??"

well, we needed something to haul the boat!
Old 11-10-2014, 01:09 PM

2011 GL350BT
Originally Posted by schorert1
I had a 28' sport fisher occupying the space next to the garage for two years. within a month of that leaving, a good friend bought a new boat "well it's not coming HERE!" a week later it showed up.
much gnashing of teeth and grumbling ensued.
A week later the truck showed up "what teh f*(& is THAT thing??"

well, we needed something to haul the boat!
hahaha, well I have my F150 because I need to haul my racecar to and from tracks in the summer, love this thing just cuz I can do whatever to it and it's a tank! now I drive it more than my ML
Old 11-10-2014, 01:26 PM

hahaha, well I have my F150 because I need to haul my racecar to and from tracks in the summer, love this thing just cuz I can do whatever to it and it's a tank! now I drive it more than my ML
Ha, my 250 V-10 is a bear... the guy told me over the phone "The interior was chewed by a dog" holy ****, the seats were torn to crap, he covered them with nasty vinyl slipcovers, the wheel is the same. but it runs great and we haul lobster pots around in it and haul the boat. At 275 HP it comes in dead last HP wise in my lineup of four cars...yet gets the worst mileage.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:50 PM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by jln
It's time for a new SUV. I've put 150k miles on my '03 4Runner. Overall, it has been a reliable vehicle, with the only recurrent issues being frozen brake calipers. And, unfortunately, a rusted through frame -- we'll see if Toyota will help with that.

I'm considering a new 4Runner, a Lexus GX470, and an ML350 with the offroad package. I take my SUV on the beach for two weeks each summer. It's not heavy offroading, but it is possible to get stuck. So I think I want the offroad package with a locking center diff. Yes, I know it is a special order.

I drive in heavy stop and go traffic, so the Mercedes driver aids (distronic plus, brake hold, etc.) have a lot of appeal. Our Mercedes dealer is close and has treated my wife very well (she has a 2010 C-class). But I am concerned about reliability.

Consumer Reports (yeah, I know) shows the C-class to be very reliable and that has been true for my wife's car. But they show the ML as being less reliable. What has your experience been?

I do tend to keep my cars a long time. If I get an ML, I will get an extended warranty.
Here is my opinion based on my experience owning both Mercedes and Lexus vehicles. I've owned a 2011 and 2012 ML350 and while the 2012 was a much more refined and more reliable vehicle it still can't compare to Lexus.

Since you're used to Toyota reliability and you're planning to buy your next SUV and keep it a long time get the Lexus.

If you want to give the ML a try (as my wife did back in 2011) lease it. BTW, as of 6 weeks ago my wife is back in a Lexus after two ML's.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Cyber GS; 11-10-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:42 PM
jln

'03 4Runner
I test drove a few vehicles over the weekend. The 2015 4Runner Limited felt significantly more trucky than my '03. The V6 was noisy and coarse, compared to my '03 V8. All in all, I just wasn't that impressed with it.

I drove the Lexus GX and was unfortunately disappointed. The third row seat takes up a lot room in the back, so it really doesn't have that much cargo capacity given the size of the vehicle. The GX's drivetrain is far more refined than the 2015 4Runner's drivetrain, but it was surprisingly slow. Like the 4Runner, the GX just felt heavy and truckish.

I drove an ML350 and that felt far better. It was quicker than either the 4Runner or GX. The engine sound was refined -- it was never coarse. The ML350 was nimbler and rode better.

I'm leaning towards the ML350. It's just the reliability that has me concerned.

I've got no room in the driveway for a third vehicle.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:21 PM

2011 GL350BT
Originally Posted by jln
I test drove a few vehicles over the weekend. The 2015 4Runner Limited felt significantly more trucky than my '03. The V6 was noisy and coarse, compared to my '03 V8. All in all, I just wasn't that impressed with it.

I drove the Lexus GX and was unfortunately disappointed. The third row seat takes up a lot room in the back, so it really doesn't have that much cargo capacity given the size of the vehicle. The GX's drivetrain is far more refined than the 2015 4Runner's drivetrain, but it was surprisingly slow. Like the 4Runner, the GX just felt heavy and truckish.

I drove an ML350 and that felt far better. It was quicker than either the 4Runner or GX. The engine sound was refined -- it was never coarse. The ML350 was nimbler and rode better.

I'm leaning towards the ML350. It's just the reliability that has me concerned.

I've got no room in the driveway for a third vehicle.
I definitely agree the ML would drive better comparing to most of other SUVs, it really depends on how long you want to own it, if you were to lease one then I'd say you have nothing to worry about, if you want to keep it for a longer period of time, it wouldn't hurt to consider the extended warranty.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:29 PM
jln

'03 4Runner
I definitely agree the ML would drive better comparing to most of other SUVs, it really depends on how long you want to own it, if you were to lease one then I'd say you have nothing to worry about, if you want to keep it for a longer period of time, it wouldn't hurt to consider the extended warranty.
I doubt I'll lease it -- I drive too much (around 15k per year). I will get the extended warranty. We've purchased the extended warranty for each of Mrs. JLN's C-classes.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:28 AM

ML 320 CDI
Jin, if you age a 10 year old 4runner and the ML - they are going to be too far from each other with respect to reliability. Secondly, yours is a solid axle 4wd the ML is a modern AWD independent suspension and rides more like a car. That also makes one more off road capable than the other. I think your rust issues will affect both vehicles because of your frequent trips to the beach. Third - 4runner and ML are on both extremes of the luxury spectrum. Not a fair comparison.

Do you need to tow anything ? Do you really need a big SUV? If not, you might want to consider a Subaru Tribeca, Forester or Mazda CX-9. The ML will depreciate $30k on the first 3 years of purchase. A better comparison to the ML is the Highlander (in driving abilities). Depreciation of a Toyota SUV will cost about $18k the first 3 years. The only logical reason for the ML is towing abilities of the diesel v6. Also, diesels are a LOT more efficient in stop/go traffic because it sips far less fuel while idling (compared to gas). Your decision depends on what you need vs what your SUV is able to do.