M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Comments on wood/leather steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti FX45
Comments on wood/leather steering wheel?

I'm thinking of getting an ML400 with the wood/leather steering wheel, and I'd appreciate any comments by anyone who has one. I'm particularly interested in how the wood finish holds up over time under the assault of perspiration and hand friction. It's beautiful when new, but I how long does it stay that way? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:59 PM

12 ml350 bluetec, 08 bmw 135i, 12 F250 PSD
We do not have the wood wheel in our 2012 ml, but did in our previous 2006 ml. The look and feel are hard to beat. It held up well, with zero friction or wear issues, but after 6 yrs the wood started to crack. I live in MN, and car was garage kept, but I think the extreme cold was mostly to blame. The cracks bothered me quite a bit as I could feel them and obviously see them, but it was my wife's vehicle and she didn't mind. Car has since been sold and I do miss the look and feel, but would be upset if it cracked....it's a tough call.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML 350 BT
Originally Posted by Involute
I'm thinking of getting an ML400 with the wood/leather steering wheel, and I'd appreciate any comments by anyone who has one. I'm particularly interested in how the wood finish holds up over time under the assault of perspiration and hand friction. It's beautiful when new, but I how long does it stay that way? Thanks.
If you don't get leather you can't have heated steering wheel.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350

Have one in my 2015 ML 350 Feels and looks absolutely fantastic. Had one in my 2007 E 550 ditto. Never showed any wear whatsoever.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
Heated steering wheel for the win if you live in cold climates. This is the first time we have ever had it and going forward all my cars will have it.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:05 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
You bet, heated steering wheel is the only way to go - and I live in Texas! It does not get real cold very often but when it does this thing is worth its weight in gold. I hate driving with gloves!! I think this option is half the price of the wood steering wheel but worth ten times as much. In Texas it is nice to have but in the north I would consider a heated steering wheel to be mandatory.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:26 AM

Infiniti FX45
I live in Los Angeles, so I don't think I'd ever use a heated steering wheel.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Heated steering wheel for the win if you live in cold climates. This is the first time we have ever had it and going forward all my cars will have it.
Don't know if its the same in the ML but in my E Class, if you ordered the wood wheel and heated steering wheel, only the leather parts of the wheel got heated. Check that out.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 GLS500. Previously '14 C250, '13 ML500, '12 C250, '08 ML500, '07 E500 & '03 A160
I have it, and love it. It gives the vehicle that extra feel of class IMO. However, for 'spirited' driving around very windy roads I have found that it can make things difficult if your hands are a little sweaty. I've had my car for nearly 2 years now and the wood is still perfect without any cracks, blemishes or scratches, but I do look after it. My car is parked outside in the direct sunlight quite alot too. I try not to touch it as much as possible, and if I do I'm very careful with my wedding ring. Most of the time your hands should be in the 9 & 3 o'clock position anyway (where the leather part of the wheel is) not 10 & 2 that's been taught for years, and possibly still is in the US. They still talk about it on current US TV shows that's for sure. Anybody who has done any sort of advanced driving course (or in my case just been to 2 of MB's drive days) will know that 10 & 2 is pretty much useless for keeping control of your vehicle in an emergency situation. Not to mention having your arms stretched out in front of you, and just waiting to punch yourself in the face if the driver's airbag is deployed in an accident. But if your hands are holding the wheel at 9 & 3 o'clock your arms/hands will be pushed outwards apparently. I'm amazed at the amount of people I see driving around with one hand just on top of the wheel, the other one out the window or holding onto the passenger headrest, thinking they're good drivers and don't need to keep 2 hands on the wheel. Oh, but they do look cool don't they!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 AM

Infiniti FX45
Thanks for the lengthy comment, AussieBenzLover. I can see if your hands are at 9 and 3 your wedding ring won't contact the wood. You can't always keep your hands on the leather, though. When you have to grab the wood, how are you "careful" with your ring? I hadn't considered this issue, but it makes me think the ring could scratch the crap out of the wood. Could be a deal killer.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:06 AM

Infiniti FX45
Thanks, Barry45RPM. Do you happen to wear a wedding ring and, if so, do you take any special precautions to keep it from scratching the wood?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 GLS500. Previously '14 C250, '13 ML500, '12 C250, '08 ML500, '07 E500 & '03 A160
Thanks for the lengthy comment, AussieBenzLover. I can see if your hands are at 9 and 3 your wedding ring won't contact the wood. You can't always keep your hands on the leather, though. When you have to grab the wood, how are you "careful" with your ring? I hadn't considered this issue, but it makes me think the ring could scratch the crap out of the wood. Could be a deal killer.
Yes, it's impossible to not touch the wood at all, but for some reason when I do the ring isn't an issue. I've just become accustomed to being super careful without having to think about it.

However, if somebody else drives my car I make sure they take their ring(s) off first.

Love the "lengthy comment" comment haha. I know I get a bit carried away at times! I'm very passionate about the MB brand I guess, that's my excuse anyway
Old 11-25-2014, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Thanks, Barry45RPM. Do you happen to wear a wedding ring and, if so, do you take any special precautions to keep it from scratching the wood?
Yes I do, and its not s smooth one... sort of like a lady's neck chain wrapped around my finger 3-4 times. Never been an issue. (Had a wood wheel in my 2007 E 550 for 8 years and it still looked brand new when I traded it in except that in the "spoke corners, the constant position of my hands made the imprinted leather grain get a little smooth. That will not be a problem with this wheel because there is no wrinkled leather pattern on the leather. I do sometimes (4-5 times a year) use a damp washcloth over the entire wheel rim to remove dirt left by the hands.

Its really a very hard finished, well made wheel. Don't give it a second thought as far as care, durability or looks goes.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 11-25-2014 at 01:14 PM.