M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Picking up the ML this evening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 07:23 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
Ah, I see. Lol I probably just have terrible luck then.

At least I haven't had a single flat for the past two years and hope it'll continue to remain this way. Knock on wood.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:01 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
I skipped the tire insurance as I only had 1 flat in the past 3 years. Also they are asking for $1499 for 60 months coverage so I said no to it. I would be able to buy a full set of tires + road hazard insurance with that amount. I have not seen a deep pot hole here in my area and most of the rim damage will be caused by the wife who will scrape the curb and that wont cover it anyway. Floor trays and trunk tray was included on the deal. I also managed to salvage my GLK's accessories (cargo net, trunk net divider, tire pump) and they fit perfectly on the ML.

I have a spare 20" 5 spoke AMG rim that came from my GLK. It is only 8.5" wide but offset if 44. Would the stock tires be okay with that rim?
Just wanted to mention that my wife curbed a rim the other day and the tire and wheel warranty I purchased w the car did cover it. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Just wanted to mention that my wife curbed a rim the other day and the tire and wheel warranty I purchased w the car did cover it. I was pleasantly surprised.
That is good. If that is what my dealer's warranty can cover I would get it but they specifically said curb damages are not covered.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
That is good. If that is what my dealer's warranty can cover I would get it but they specifically said curb damages are not covered.
There is a "PLUS" option in wheel and tire protection that lists:

"Wheel repair for most scrapes, scratches, and other cosmetic damages"

In the standard wheel and tire package it's not covered...I asked when I bought my E in january. the standard protection basically covers you hitting a nail or a pothole. For the cost it was a bit ridiculous.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...ire_protection
Old 12-30-2014, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay I have another rant about the ML and it is all about the cornering lights. My previous GLK has one and why on earth this expensive vehicle does not have it while it says on the brochure and manual it has it. This pisses me off as this is one of the reason I tried reallly hard in finding a ML with the xenons on it. I searched on this forum and noticed few threads about this.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by schorert1
There is a "PLUS" option in wheel and tire protection that lists:

"Wheel repair for most scrapes, scratches, and other cosmetic damages"

In the standard wheel and tire package it's not covered...I asked when I bought my E in january. the standard protection basically covers you hitting a nail or a pothole. For the cost it was a bit ridiculous.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...ire_protection
IC. I do not think we have something like that here up North.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Okay I have another rant about the ML and it is all about the cornering lights. My previous GLK has one and why on earth this expensive vehicle does not have it while it says on the brochure and manual it has it. This pisses me off as this is one of the reason I tried reallly hard in finding a ML with the xenons on it. I searched on this forum and noticed few threads about this.
My headlights follow the steering wheel.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by DUTCH
My headlights follow the steering wheel.
So do mine, but I think he's talking about a fog light coming on when you corner at low speeds. I don't think the GLK has ILS, but it may have done xenons with a cornering light.

*edit* he's right! I don't know about the GLK but it has been covered here before. the S class and the GL have a dedicated "cornering light" in the headlight housing that illuminates turns. This is separate from the ILS active curve assist headlight. He's also correct in saying the US owners manual says it has one, and it does not...there definitely seems to be some confusion at MB over this light across platforms.

oh this is maddening...it looks like the ILS is supposed to dip the headlight into the corner as it does in the Euro spec, but it appears that this is not DOT compliant so they just inactivate it. I have to check my manual tonight and see, but if you do a search on "ML cornering lights" you find the most frustrating threads you'll ever want to read.

Last edited by schorert1; 12-30-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
According to the manual, we're supposed to have ECO Stop/Start, which thank goodness we don't have.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
According to the manual, we're supposed to have ECO Stop/Start, which thank goodness we don't have.
I am 50/50 with this one. I do want it IF it is like the BMW that can memorize your selection after you turn off the engine. I see this useful on our once a week bumper to bumper, snail movement commute here but definitely not during regular driving. I also did ask about this feature and they said something about the NA cars not being certified because MB does not want to pay the feds. My C-class retains the "S" configuration even after you turn off the engine but from 2011 and up they changed it to go back to "C". This is one of the things I was looking for when I got the ML and thank heavens there is not even the button which begs the question what kind of trans. setting does the ML have? It does starts at 1st gear everytime which on the other MBs that equals to the "S" mode.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So do mine, but I think he's talking about a fog light coming on when you corner at low speeds. I don't think the GLK has ILS, but it may have done xenons with a cornering light.

*edit* he's right! I don't know about the GLK but it has been covered here before. the S class and the GL have a dedicated "cornering light" in the headlight housing that illuminates turns. This is separate from the ILS active curve assist headlight. He's also correct in saying the US owners manual says it has one, and it does not...there definitely seems to be some confusion at MB over this light across platforms.

oh this is maddening...it looks like the ILS is supposed to dip the headlight into the corner as it does in the Euro spec, but it appears that this is not DOT compliant so they just inactivate it. I have to check my manual tonight and see, but if you do a search on "ML cornering lights" you find the most frustrating threads you'll ever want to read.
Yeah tell me about it. I am just waiting for the customer service survey from MB and I will rant on it like crazy as I know those surveys are being looked at by the head office in Germany. I will gladly tell them if those headlights are indeed not certified for NA cars they need to at least give me a revised owners manual and digital disk manual stating that feature is not available on the NA versions or yet give me a good partial refund for the false marketing and advertisement. I dont really care about the rest of the ILS gizmo but I really care for the cornering lights as that feature saved my behind once from running over a guy who is wearing all black while crossing a very dark 4 way street while driving my GLK.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I am 50/50 with this one. I do want it IF it is like the BMW that can memorize your selection after you turn off the engine. I see this useful on our once a week bumper to bumper, snail movement commute here but definitely not during regular driving. I also did ask about this feature and they said something about the NA cars not being certified because MB does not want to pay the feds. My C-class retains the "S" configuration even after you turn off the engine but from 2011 and up they changed it to go back to "C". This is one of the things I was looking for when I got the ML and thank heavens there is not even the button which begs the question what kind of trans. setting does the ML have? It does starts at 1st gear everytime which on the other MBs that equals to the "S" mode.
All true what you say.

The MB Eco switch does NOT remember its last setting but must be defeated after each start.

In warm, humid climates (So. Florida) the Eco setting reduces the blower speed to low and naturally there is no cooling so the car immediately loses comfort with 1 driver in the car. With more passengers, its even worse.

I can't wait to see all the accelerated starter failures and their replacement costs.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
NO CORNERING LIGHTS--ECO SYSTEM

AMEN. I have had at least 3 MB's w/xenons. All had cornering lights. I was really irritated when there were none. Pi--ed is more like it. Had them on GLK.

ECO START-STOP. My ML250BT has this. My 3rd MB w/this. Very much improved from earlier cars. Almost unnoticeable. When activated in the summer AC is reduced and if necessary car will restart. No problems expected w/starter etc. This is all engineered into the system. Face it. ALL cars will have this feature soon. Blame CAFE.

Last edited by greasykid; 01-01-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:57 PM

MB
I'm surprised as even the GLK offers Active Curve Illumination as part of the Lighting Package Option.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Benzfooled
I'm surprised as even the GLK offers Active Curve Illumination as part of the Lighting Package Option.
Active curve is not the cornering light. my car has the ILS with active curve, and my car has the reflector for the cornering light, but no bulb!
Old 01-02-2015, 03:50 PM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Missing Cornering Lamp

If you ever find out how to activate pls let us know. DON'T WE HAVE AN MB TECH IN THIS FORUM?

Last edited by greasykid; 01-02-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay. I rant at this cornering light and ILS problem with MB Canada customer service and even the person I was talking over the phone was surprised that the ML does not have the cornering lights and full ILS. After a few digging on the rep's side I was told that because MB Canada decided not to change the light setup of the US version and just use the same thing for simplicity (I told them that is full of BS). I ask them why MB Canada managed to pull off having the AMG styling as standard on all MLs here and why is it so hard to use the full ILS since manufacturing is just across the border and Canada is completely different from US in terms of equipment wise. I just got a not so sure and safe answer for that question. BUT.... in light of this since I brought it up to them and since I told them I felt I a victim of a false advertising (the entire wording of Intelligent Light System is engraved on the headlights for crying out loud) a case was opened for me and they will see if they would be able to retrofit a headlamp with the cornering lights on it. Now that gave me some hope!
Old 01-07-2015, 10:56 PM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
Okay. I rant at this cornering light and ILS problem with MB Canada customer service and even the person I was talking over the phone was surprised that the ML does not have the cornering lights and full ILS. After a few digging on the rep's side I was told that because MB Canada decided not to change the light setup of the US version and just use the same thing for simplicity (I told them that is full of BS). I ask them why MB Canada managed to pull off having the AMG styling as standard on all MLs here and why is it so hard to use the full ILS since manufacturing is just across the border and Canada is completely different from US in terms of equipment wise. I just got a not so sure and safe answer for that question. BUT.... in light of this since I brought it up to them and since I told them I felt I a victim of a false advertising (the entire wording of Intelligent Light System is engraved on the headlights for crying out loud) a case was opened for me and they will see if they would be able to retrofit a headlamp with the cornering lights on it. Now that gave me some hope!
I will be shocked if they really do anything for that...
Old 01-08-2015, 08:53 AM

What we don't have is a reason why, on this particular model, this feature is deactivated(my ML has the hardware) when cornering lights are featured in similar configurations on other models. If the GLK and the S sedan has them, perhaps it has to do with the height of the ML ILS and the light thrown?
Old 01-08-2015, 12:41 PM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
NO CORNERING LIGHTS

I don't know about previous model yrs,but read the 2015 M brochure. The ILS option makes no reference or inclusion of cornering lights.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E250 Bluetec
I'm picking up my 2015 ML350 Bluetec end of this month. Premium, sport, bi-Zenon, running board, cup warmer and trailer hitch. I'm still debating if I should get EW or not, with all the discussion, I decided not to get it, if no trouble for the first three years then I think I will buy it and that goes for my E250 as well.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:08 AM

2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Your New ML

Are you getting 350 or a 250?
Old 02-10-2015, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by B5chung
I'm picking up my 2015 ML350 Bluetec end of this month. Premium, sport, bi-Zenon, running board, cup warmer and trailer hitch. I'm still debating if I should get EW or not, with all the discussion, I decided not to get it, if no trouble for the first three years then I think I will buy it and that goes for my E250 as well.

OK, now I'm pissed. My old ML350 had the "Rest" button in it that would run the heat for twenty minutes after you got out. The other day I got to thinking I'd run the "rest" when I went in the store...hmmm...no button...

Sure enough, it's listed in the manual as being available in Canada only! what the holy hell MB.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
OK, now I'm pissed. My old ML350 had the "Rest" button in it that would run the heat for twenty minutes after you got out. The other day I got to thinking I'd run the "rest" when I went in the store...hmmm...no button...

Sure enough, it's listed in the manual as being available in Canada only! what the holy hell MB.
It's called "Cost Saving". MB is now being run by the bean counters, not the engineers.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E250 Bluetec

Move to Canada!